Texas A&M possibly to sec....vt/wvu

wvuraiders

Vt fans in the know what are the chances of vt being in sec...etc...your thoughts?

Wvu in position as well with Oliver Luck doing great things in position to move to acc or possibly sec if expansion ( super conf) occurs...discuss what you think on what may or what may not happen.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark Gottfried from ESPN says he hears it's going to be A&M and FSU....

Sucks. I mean I like the fact we would get to play FSU every year but I really wanted Tech. That would have been a huge game around here. I don't understand how any tech fan wouldn't want to join the SEC. Doesn't make sense to me. I mean if you want to keep paying your hard earned money for the home schedule you have. I guess that is fine. But I would at least like to see a couple decent games a year. Grow a pair. Come play with the big boys. Seems like every tech fan I have spoken to doesn't want it...... Come on you bunch of Hokies......

Sucks. I mean I like the fact we would get to play FSU every year but I really wanted Tech. That would have been a huge game around here. I don't understand how any tech fan wouldn't want to join the SEC. Doesn't make sense to me. I mean if you want to keep paying your hard earned money for the home schedule you have. I guess that is fine. But I would at least like to see a couple decent games a year. Grow a pair. Come play with the big boys. Seems like every tech fan I have spoken to doesn't want it...... Come on you bunch of Hokies......

The rumors are just rumors right now, but there is some interest by A&M. Slive is being mum on the subject right now, but it's a possibility. I have heard fans talk about FSU coming to the SEC, but I haven't seen anything from FSU or any media sources. I think FSU would be a natural fit for the SEC, but Texas A&M presents travel problems for some of the SEC teams. I have a personal opinion on this. I have this thing about schools in the SEC actually being in the geographical area of the Southeast United States. If you're going to remain the SEC, then teams outside of the southeast don't fit.

If the SEC is interested in doing this, it is to increase the recruiting base to include Texas. I personally think the SEC can recruit nationwide now because of its success, and I just don't think it's necessary.

On the other hand, you could begin to create a "Super Conference" by including teams like Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Missouri...all teams from the Big 12, but it should no longer be called the Southeastern Conference if this happens. Put FSU in that mix and you have a 16 team league. I personally hate the idea, and I wish the SEC would just leave the SEC alone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Edited by blueinbama

the rumors are just rumors right now, but there is some interest by a&m. Slive is being mum on the subject right now, but it's a possibility. I have heard fans talk about fsu coming to the sec, but i haven's seen anything from fsu or any media sources. I think fsu would be a natural fit for the sec, but texas a&m presents travel problems for some of the sec teams. I have a personal opinion on this. I have this thing about schools in the sec actually being in the geographical area of the southeast united states. If you're going to remain the sec, then teams outside of the southeast don't fit.

If the sec is interested in doing this, it is to increase the recruiting base to include texas. I personally think the sec can recruit nationwide now because of its success, and i just don't think it's necessary.

On the other hand, you could begin to create a "super conference" by including teams like texas a&m, oklahoma, oklahoma state, missouri...all teams from the big 12, but it should no longer be called the southeastern conference if this happens. Put fsu in that mix and you have a 16 team league. I personally hate the idea, ans i wish the sec would just leave the sec alone if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

this !!! Leave the sec alone!!!!!!

Who said we didn't want to join the SEC? I would love the opportunity. It's not our decision though. We have to get an offer, then we have to get through Virginia politics.

So yeah, our chances are this:

The rumors are just rumors right now, but there is some interest by A&M. Slive is being mum on the subject right now, but it's a possibility. I have heard fans talk about FSU coming to the SEC, but I haven't seen anything from FSU or any media sources. I think FSU would be a natural fit for the SEC, but Texas A&M presents travel problems for some of the SEC teams. I have a personal opinion on this. I have this thing about schools in the SEC actually being in the geographical area of the Southeast United States. If you're going to remain the SEC, then teams outside of the southeast don't fit.

If the SEC is interested in doing this, it is to increase the recruiting base to include Texas. I personally think the SEC can recruit nationwide now because of its success, and I just don't think it's necessary.

On the other hand, you could begin to create a "Super Conference" by including teams like Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Missouri...all teams from the Big 12, but it should no longer be called the Southeastern Conference if this happens. Put FSU in that mix and you have a 16 team league. I personally hate the idea, and I wish the SEC would just leave the SEC alone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Its not about expanding recruiting territory. Its about expanding TV viewership, and therefore expanding revenue. I dont believe FSU will come to the SEC because Foley will do all he can to block it in Gainesville. FSU got the invite the last time they expanded and Bobby Bowden put the brakes on that train bigtime. It might be met with a different feeling by Fischer though.

I would like to see the SEC left as is, but, if the goal is for these conferences to upgrade their number of teams (I mean revenue), I would rather the SEC make the first splash to get first dibs so to speak. If they go to 16, I see VT as possibly getting an invite but probably not unless its a last resort if they only bump to 14. It stretches the TV market slightly into VA but I am not sure if it makes a big enough dent to encourage it at this point. I think the SEC would love to have UNC, but they know that wont happen unless other tobacco road area schools could come.

As a Tech alum and lifelong Hokie fan, my opinion is that any invitation to the SEC would present an interesting conundrum.

In terms of athletic excellence, the SEC is arguably the best conference in the country -- or at least on a very exclusive short list. In fact, I wouldn't be terribly shocked to see them withdraw from the NCAA at some point and align with the other elite athletic leagues to form their own national association. They've darn near got the wherewithal to do so on their own right now.

There is also some historical context to support such a move. Tech was a member of the old Southern Conference along with most (if not all) current members of the SEC for about a dozen years beginning around 1920. And particularly beginning with the tenure of Frank Moseley, Tech was something of a "protege" program of Alabama for several years.

The tangible benefits of SEC membership are pretty obvious. That said....

My opinion is that our administration will not abandon the ACC unless there is a reason of nearly apocalyptic proportions to do so. And I fully support that position. The one intangible is that the ACC is an absolutely perfect fit. This can be quantified to some extent (particularly with our healthy financial bottom line), but it's mainly subjective. I think most associates of Hokie Nation view our cultural, geographical, and academic ties to the ACC as truly priceless. And that's something that outsiders probably won't understand regardless of how much we may try to explain.

My two cents.... As long as it's up to us, Virginia Tech will remain in the ACC. And we should.

And particularly beginning with the tenure of Frank Moseley, Tech was something of a "protege" program of Alabama for several years. [\QUOTE]

Bama "protege". Oh'lord...... Just when I thought I couldn't hate Tech anymore......

Edited by VOL61

Its not about expanding recruiting territory. Its about expanding TV viewership, and therefore expanding revenue. I dont believe FSU will come to the SEC because Foley will do all he can to block it in Gainesville. FSU got the invite the last time they expanded and Bobby Bowden put the brakes on that train bigtime. It might be met with a different feeling by Fischer though.

I would like to see the SEC left as is, but, if the goal is for these conferences to upgrade their number of teams (I mean revenue), I would rather the SEC make the first splash to get first dibs so to speak. If they go to 16, I see VT as possibly getting an invite but probably not unless its a last resort if they only bump to 14. It stretches the TV market slightly into VA but I am not sure if it makes a big enough dent to encourage it at this point. I think the SEC would love to have UNC, but they know that wont happen unless other tobacco road area schools could come.

I don't know. I like the thought of playing the best. I mean if you want to watch crap games all year. Buy season tickets to Tech. I hope it happens. I hope we get A&M, OU, FSU, Tech...... hell bring em all on.

You are right it is about Money and TV. The thing with FSU is they are more of a national brand. So that in itself is TV dollars. Even though they already have UF and that market. I would think that FSU would add value for sure. Probably more than Tech. Even though I would rather see Tech in the east. I would love both. Then A&M and OU in the west. But that isn't happening.

And particularly beginning with the tenure of Frank Moseley, Tech was something of a "protege" program of Alabama for several years. [\QUOTE]

Bama "protege". Oh'lord...... Just when I thought I couldn't hate Tech anymore......

Just the facts. Frank Moseley (who was Tech's AD for 27 years) was tight with Bear Bryant. That connection heavily influenced the development of the athletic program overall and particularly the personnel associated with the football team.

Your hatred of Tech is very interesting. I thought the semi-official viewpoint from Knoxville was supposed to be that we weren't worthy of any kind of attention. Thanks for thinking about us -- hope the breach of protocol doesn't get you in any kind of trouble, though.

; )

Are you referring to Montana? Cincinnati? Buffalo? All three? Two, but not the other?

Help us out here, Vol.

You really want to compare schedules?..... You better look a little harder....

Just the facts. Frank Moseley (who was Tech's AD for 27 years) was tight with Bear Bryant. That connection heavily influenced the development of the athletic program overall and particularly the personnel associated with the football team.

Your hatred of Tech is very interesting. I thought the semi-official viewpoint from Knoxville was supposed to be that we weren't worthy of any kind of attention. Thanks for thinking about us -- hope the breach of protocol doesn't get you in any kind of trouble, though.

; )

I don't live in knoxville..... I am surrounded by Mike Vick jersey's in Weber City.....

though you are right. West of Kingsport most people could care less what Tech does....

Wvu in position as well with Oliver Luck doing great things in position to move to acc or possibly sec if expansion ( super conf) occurs...discuss what you think on what may or what may not happen.

Realistically, I don't see WVU getting plucked to go anywhere unless the "super conferences" go to 16 teams. If the SEC chooses to go to 16 teams, then the trickle-down effect will go through the ACC. The ACC will then likely replenish with the Big East, leaving WVU with the possibility of an invitation to join the ACC. BUT... read the stipulations below...

IF the SEC adds 2 teams, it's likely to come from the Big 12 and the ACC (A&M and FSU). That means the ACC will need to fill FSU's void. Regardless if this is BCS-driven or not, the ACC is traditionally a basketball conference. In addition to basketball tradition, the ACC is also very high on academics. Therefore, I'd bet we'd see a major push for UConn, Syracuse, Pitt or maybe even Rutgers before WVU. Regardless of WVU's on-field success, I couldn't imagine schools such as UVA, Duke, UNC and the other superior academic institutions throughout the conference not putting up a fight.

Does WVU make sense geographically? Yes. But it's not like the schools north of Morgantown wouldn't get a good, hard, long look because of their academics and it could potentially establish a nice rivalry between Boston College and [insert university above the Mason Dixon Line here].

Edited by hokie07

As a Tech alum and lifelong Hokie fan, my opinion is that any invitation to the SEC would present an interesting conundrum.

In terms of athletic excellence, the SEC is arguably the best conference in the country -- or at least on a very exclusive short list. In fact, I wouldn't be terribly shocked to see them withdraw from the NCAA at some point and align with the other elite athletic leagues to form their own national association. They've darn near got the wherewithal to do so on their own right now.

There is also some historical context to support such a move. Tech was a member of the old Southern Conference along with most (if not all) current members of the SEC for about a dozen years beginning around 1920. And particularly beginning with the tenure of Frank Moseley, Tech was something of a "protege" program of Alabama for several years.

The tangible benefits of SEC membership are pretty obvious. That said....

My opinion is that our administration will not abandon the ACC unless there is a reason of nearly apocalyptic proportions to do so. And I fully support that position. The one intangible is that the ACC is an absolutely perfect fit. This can be quantified to some extent (particularly with our healthy financial bottom line), but it's mainly subjective. I think most associates of Hokie Nation view our cultural, geographical, and academic ties to the ACC as truly priceless. And that's something that outsiders probably won't understand regardless of how much we may try to explain.

My two cents.... As long as it's up to us, Virginia Tech will remain in the ACC. And we should.

This, pretty much, sums it up.

I would like to add that there is little, if any, benefit of adding FSU to the SEC. Florida's already got the state sewn up for viewership purposes, FSU seems unnecessary. The best "fit" for purposes of viewership and increasing revenue would be Missouri, which would give you part of the lucrative Kansas City market. A&M is the 2nd-best choice, and it looks like this is taking form.

Just my two cents, too.

Can we change the name of this thread to "Rumor Has It"? I've got another one.

Rumor has it that Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina have a pact saying that they would not approve any expansion that included FSU, GT, or Clemson.

Sounds like 2003...

Perhaps their state legislatures won't yank them by their choke collars like some states did...

Edited by UVAObserver

Can we change the name of this thread to "Rumor Has It"? I've got another one.

Rumor has it that Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina have a pact saying that they would not approve any expansion that included FSU, GT, or Clemson.

Maybe that is why Slive wants your Hokies.....

No one knows for sure. It is all rumor other than A&M. The Texas deal with ESPN will destroy the big 12. Soon as A&M leaves which is likely. The Big 12 is going to fall apart. When that happens it is going to be a free fall.

Personally from a VT fans point of view, I'd rather FSU leave, we keep Miami and pick up either WVU or PITT or maybe even PITT,WVU and Someone else on the east coast.

I miss the games between WVU and Tech

If Tech was to join the SEC we'd get murdered for at least 5 or 6 years until we had the talent recruited and we get rid of stiney as OC. That's just my 2 cents on this.

You really want to compare schedules?..... You better look a little harder....

Straight up, I'd say that we're both residing in glass houses when it comes to non-conference schedule. The difference is that I'm not flinging stones.

I suppose on the field results would be the best way to compare Tech and Tennessee. And to that end, I would submit the following:

1. Please ask your athletic administrators to seriously consider adding us to your schedule. (And be sure to advise me of the results of that conversation.)

2. Let us know when Tennessee beats an ACC team. (And yes, we'd even consider Duke for the purposes of the discussion.)

3. December 31, 2009. 37-14. (Ring a bell?)

If you'd like to continue this fascinating discussion, please advise.

This, pretty much, sums it up.

I would like to add that there is little, if any, benefit of adding FSU to the SEC. Florida's already got the state sewn up for viewership purposes, FSU seems unnecessary. The best "fit" for purposes of viewership and increasing revenue would be Missouri, which would give you part of the lucrative Kansas City market. A&M is the 2nd-best choice, and it looks like this is taking form.

Just my two cents, too.

I understand the St. Louis/Kansas city thing. But I think Nationally FSU has alot more respect than Missouri. I mean there is benefit. Someone in California or New York is going to watch FSU vs. Bama before they would watch Missouri vs. Bama. I mean there is value with FSU nationally. They have a national brand. Can't be said about alot of other teams being brought up. Especially Missouri..... Big 10 didn't want them. I don't want them. Just doesn't fit with the rest of the conference.

Maybe that is why Slive wants your Hokies.....

No one knows for sure. It is all rumor other than A&M. The Texas deal with ESPN will destroy the big 12. Soon as A&M leaves which is likely. The Big 12 is going to fall apart. When that happens it is going to be a free fall.

Snippety comments (and I'm referring exclusively to myself there) aside.....

I find it very hard to believe that Tech is really within the SEC's radar in terms of any possible expansion. A poster on another board had some good insight. At best, we're a strong "super regional" candidate. But in terms of real national exposure, we're pretty far from that level.