Texas A&M possibly to sec....vt/wvu

wvuraiders

Look at the last game played between Va. Tech and Alabama. The game could have gone either way, and wasn't decided until the 4th quarter. No Alabama fan I knew came away from that game with anything less than total respect for the Hokie football program.

And we another shot at Alabama in the 2013 College Kickoff.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tech did play well in that Alabama game, but there is a huge difference between getting up for 1 or 2 games that that a year and getting up for 3-4 games against opponents like that each year, I'm not really trying to disrespect Tech, I just think that it's hard to try and compare the ACC and SEC in football.Take this year for instance, Bama goes to PSU, which should be a challenge for them, and then they have to play LSU, they go to Florida, then you throw in the Arkansas and a few other up and coming teams, plus you have the SEC championship game should they make it that far which will more than likely be 2 top 10 teams playing each other. I know there are a lot of Tech fans on this forum, so I'll ask you how many of those games do you realistically feel Tech could win year in and out?

I know there are a lot of Tech fans on this forum, so I'll ask you how many of those games do you realistically feel Tech could win year in and out?

Realistically, not many. I'd guess we'd win somewhere between the current low of "2 out of twenty-something" and a high of about 33% of them.

Tech did play well in that Alabama game, but there is a huge difference between getting up for 1 or 2 games that that a year and getting up for 3-4 games against opponents like that each year, I'm not really trying to disrespect Tech, I just think that it's hard to try and compare the ACC and SEC in football.Take this year for instance, Bama goes to PSU, which should be a challenge for them, and then they have to play LSU, they go to Florida, then you throw in the Arkansas and a few other up and coming teams, plus you have the SEC championship game should they make it that far which will more than likely be 2 top 10 teams playing each other. I know there are a lot of Tech fans on this forum, so I'll ask you how many of those games do you realistically feel Tech could win year in and out?

VT scored more points on Alabama than any other team the Tide played that year. Guess everyone played poorly against Alabama all season.

VT doesn't belong in the SEC, PERIOD!

Realistically, I believe we would go 8-4 consistently after a full 4 years in the SEC. Thats a whole SEC recruiting class that would help Tech out. Gotta imagine we could win 4 non conference games, and be able to beat 3-4 mid-to-lower teams. Then there's always the real possibility that a Florida, or LSU, or Bama comes into Lane and comes out empty handed. So I could realistically see Tech as a 8-4 to 10-2 team every year, schedule depending.

VT scored more points on Alabama than any other team the Tide played that year. Guess everyone played poorly against Alabama all season.

He's saying this was only one game, and it can't be compared to the SEC regular season grind that teams have to go through. Last year, SC beat Bama by 2 touchdowns, and looked like world beaters. They lost their next game. That's what the grind of the SEC does to teams. For a team to go 12-0 in the regular season in the SEC is extremely hard. LSU experienced a similar fate. Auburn needed a lot of luck last year to go undefeated, as did Bama the previous year.

Alabama scored 34 points on VT`s defense. Bama beat UT 12-10, so it looks like UT played Bama closer than anyone else did that season.

Vt fans in the know what are the chances of vt being in sec...etc...your thoughts?

Wvu in position as well with Oliver Luck doing great things in position to move to acc or possibly sec if expansion ( super conf) occurs...discuss what you think on what may or what may not happen.

VPI to the SEC: 0.0% chance. Does not fit geographically or culturally.

Wouldn't be surprised to see FSU tuck tail and run from the ACC...considering all the ACC titles they won prior to VT entering the conference and how many they've won since 2004...they no longer control the ACC football scene...

So your argument is that since Florida State cannot consistently defeat Va Tech, FSU will launch a campaign into a coference that has Florida, Alabama, LSU, and Auburn as members? Please clarify.

QUOTE=GMan;252283]Wouldn't be surprised to see FSU tuck tail and run from the ACC...considering all the ACC titles they won prior to VT entering the conference and how many they've won since 2004...they no longer control the ACC football scene...

Based on the recruiting classes Jimbo is bringing in and the sucess FSU started to have last year, I would say Tech's luck is starting to run low in the ACC

Based on the recruiting classes Jimbo is bringing in and the sucess FSU started to have last year, I would say Tech's luck is starting to run low in the ACC

We didn't really need much luck in the ACC to start with.

Not that I care particularly much about the Big 12, but have there been any rumors circulating about possible additions to the conference? I would think that schools like BYU, Boise State, Houston, etc. would be viable options to fill the spots left open. Or how about we forget about that whole "TCU to the Big East" thing and just let them fill the spot A&M is leaving open?

Why VT should not join the SEC, if they were invited.I don't believe they will receive an invitation

1. ACC is a better basketball conference.

2. SEC is a football conference: VT would be a middle of the pack team and would lose some of their passion fan base, after failing to win a conference championship.

3. But more than all of that, I don't want VT to become what the SEC is already,a win at all costs mentality. Bend the rules if necessary.

Example:

Alabama is on probation

Auburn has been on probation six times and is under an investigation now.

LSU is on probation

Ole Miss has been on probation

Mississippe St was stripped of their scholarships less than 10 years ago

Arkansaw has been on probation

Don't get me started on Tennessee. They are being investigated in three different sports.

I want Va Tech to remain a good program, yet operate with the type of character that we can be proud of.

OK I tried to stop myself from posting this but I lost the battle as you can tell, #1 Alabama football IS NOT on probation, secondly yes the ACC is a better basketball school, unfortunately for Virginia Tech they aren't, they are much better known for their football, Miami is being looked at, North Carolina has already been busted, and If I had no life ant wanted to research a bit I'm sure I could find more things to point out, my main point being is that all the big schools cheat, does it make it "fair" well, that is all in your idea of fair I suppose. Techs standards for admission aren't exactly known for being stellar also by the way.So basically get off your self righteous soap box about how the ACC is an unblemished conference.

Techs standards for admission aren't exactly known for being stellar also by the way.

You better check yourself on that one. It may have been like that 15-20 years ago, however, VT has really done a good job to improve their admission standards, especially since joining the ACC in 2004.

Well what are the admission requirements for VT since you say they aren't stellar?? Do you know???

The previous poster is probably basing his assumptions on very old data. Tech's admission process has actually become progressively more competitive for the past dozen years or so. And the university's academic status is also greatly enhanced of late. According to US News & World Report rankings (for what they're worth), Virginia Tech is currently ranked 69th among all national universities. That is higher than every current SEC school except Vanderbilt, Florida, and Georgia.

There does seem to be a rather large discrepancy between the SEC and ACC in terms of academic reputation. 10 ACC schools rank in the top 100 (Virginia Tech is actually the lowest among those), while only 5 SEC schools make the list.

I am not getting any further into mudslinging, It may not seem that way by this thread but I actually like Tech, I just usually try to be respectful to fans of other conference's and/or teams and it grinds my teeth when I see someone else spewing things they don't even know much about, and I let it get under my skin at times. In the interest of not being one of those people I did look up Techs entry requirements which say they are a minimum of 2.0 gpa, but the people they actually offer have much higher gpa's than that (4.0 usually).So indeed they have increased their requirements, so anyways there is my peace offering to bhs7695 and Gman.

I am not getting any further into mudslinging,

Because you don't have any proof to back it up...your alligator mouth wrote a check your lizard arse couldn't cash...

Yours truly,

Arrogant Bastard #2