Bowling, 2011-2012

Speaking of "can't put three games together"...

185-265-186. A 636 series.

I've been fighting food poisoning for a couple of days. Thanks, Sheetz. Lanes were just bone dry tonight. Threw 4 splits over the three games, all unmakeable (4-6 twice, etc.). Had 3 opens in the first game before doubling in the 7th-8th and striking out in the 10th to win by 4 pins over my opponent.

The second game could've been even better. Started that game out with 4-in-a-row, then hit my target in the 5th frame just to have the ball jerk high at the last moment and leave a 4-pin. Threw 5-in-a-row from 6th-10th just to throw a 4-6-7 on the 2nd shot of the 10th frame. Covered 2 of them to close with the 265. Won the league's "high game pool" for that one.

The third game started with a double before missing a 10-pin when my spare ball failed to hold the lane for the only time all night. Left another open in the 7th on a washout when the ball didn't come back from target.

Inconsistency's killing me. In the last 5 weeks, I've thrown a 278, a 268, and a 265. I've broken 600 exactly 4 times in the last 11 series. Those kinds of performances will cost me a 200 average this season.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another set over 600 tonight. 203-233-191. A 627 series.

Only went 1-3, though (lost the 2nd/3rd games, surprisingly). The other team turned on the jets during the last 15 frames.

Had 4 opens all night, 3 of them in the 9th frame of each game. Drove me batty, too, because there's so many pins thrown down the drain. Two washouts, a 4-6, and a bucket. The washout in the 2nd game hurt the most, because I was on a streak of 3-in-a-row and I struck out to end the game. Frustrating ending to that one.

Lanes were light all evening, but broke down a little bit as the night went along. That's one of the reasons my opponents kicked my rear end tonight, their balls were getting more traction back to the pocket. Didn't help that my partner couldn't make it, which put me in a bit of a bind (not that it would've mattered: we lost the 2nd game by 62 and the last one by 46).

It's been a good week. 636 Tuesday, 627 Friday. Hopefully, the scores will stay there for a while. I have quite a few pins to make up if I have any aspirations of getting up to a 200 average.

Nice two sets... its a shame you had those opens in the 9th all three games could have been around a 675 or better. Its crazy how after the set you can look back on just one or two balls and see how much it really costs you. Hopefully you can continue your success the next few weeks and get back up around 200

Nice two sets... its a shame you had those opens in the 9th all three games could have been around a 675 or better. Its crazy how after the set you can look back on just one or two balls and see how much it really costs you. Hopefully you can continue your success the next few weeks and get back up around 200

Thanks! I agree, it's just painful to look back and see the pins left on the lanes. 36 pins in the 2nd game alone if I had converted a strike to end the game on a run of 7-in-a-row. At least it wasn't just brain-dead spare shooting. Converted every single pin spare, about 9 if I recall correctly.

I've thrown 16 weeks in my Friday night league, am 336 pins off a 200-average pace there.

I've thrown 15 weeks in my Tuesday night league, am 265 pins off a 200-average pace there.

Friday night's exactly at 193. Tuesday night's at 194.1. Tuesday night has the more challenging layout of the two nights, so I'm really surprised that I'm bowling better on Tuesdays than Fridays. Regardless, I've got to make some hay in the next 20/21 weeks. If I could uncork a 700 series in the next few weeks, that'd help immensely.

201-182-182 - 565

2 missed washouts and 3 big splits...we won all 8 points and won the quarter despite my crappy bowling...

Well done. And if your scores pick up in the 2nd half, you'll be in good shape to have a strong quarter there, too.

Scores have been picking up at ABC West, too. I've had four 600s in my past six series, and other bowlers are finally finding their grooves. I've been a few pins under average, but almost everyone in my two leagues has been well under average, some by 20 pins or more. Lengthier oil pattern, most likely, given the high number of washouts.

Edited by UVAObserver

This is the kind of consistency I'd love to have every week:

225-223-228. A 676 series, but again, only won 2 of my 3 matches tonight. I lost the 223 game to my opponent, who bowled 41 pins over average (while 223 was only 30 pins over mine). As a team, we went 18.5-4.5, which is enough to bump us from 12th to a possible shot at 8th. I attribute this more to the oil pattern, though. C-A-K-E. There were two 300s thrown on it, and another guy got his lifetime high of 275. People were lighting the lamp all over the place. Damn guarantee that pattern's not going to be out again.

I might've made a push for it if I didn't have 4 open frames (2 in Game 1, 1 in Game 2, 1 in Game 3). Threw 24 strikes tonight, which makes the 4 open frames sting a bit. I had 75 in the 5th-frame of Game 1 before striking off the sheet. I threw 3 more to start Game 2. Went /-X-/ before throwing 3 more in 7-8-9. Opened in the 10th with a split (giving my opponent enough room to weasel out the win). Started with 3-in-a-row again. Spared in the 4th, struck in the 5th-6th before missing a 3-5-6 conversion in the 7th. Went X-X-X8/ for the 228.

That brings my average up to 195.8 on Tuesday nights, which is roughly where I finished last season. By far the best 1st-half I've ever had. 200's within range this year, just maybe. 181 total pins off a 200-pace through 45 games.

• 5 weeks later...

Figured with the crash, it'd be good to update the current averages.

Sitting at 196.5 on Tuesday night (1 week to go).

Sitting at 195.2 on Friday night (2 weeks to go).

You would think that with all the 6's you've been throwing you'd be closer to averaging 200...

You would think that with all the 6's you've been throwing you'd be closer to averaging 200...

I'm 189 pins off a 200-pace on Tuesday night, and I'm around 300 pins off a 200-pace on Friday night (though I've bowled two more weeks in the Friday night league than the Tuesday night league).

Early in the season, I was struggling quite a bit. On Tuesday night, I threw five series of 530-or-worse, including a terrible 496 in Week 4. Of course,the 676 and 696 counteract that somewhat, but I'm still digging myself out of a hole from early on. I've been averaging about 205 over the last two months, but I was down into the 180s after the first two months.

On Friday night, the lows haven't been so low (one series of 530-or-worse), but the highs haven't been nearly as high (667 at the season high). I went through a stretch in October where I cranked out something like 4 straight 540s.

That's been my story for the last four years. I'll start out poor, then really ratchet it up in the 2nd half of the year to shoot mid-to-high-190s.

Kept the 600+ train going. 206-191-227 for a 624 series.

A few things of note:

1. One open each game.

2. Went 2/2 on split conversions. A 5-7 and a 2-7-8, which I normally whiff badly.

3. Whiffed badly on a 2-5 in the 10th frame of the 2nd game, which cost my team a win.

4. After missing a bucket in the 2nd frame of Game #3, rolled 6-in-a-row to really build the score.

5. Went 3-1. Pushes our record to 8-4 in the new half.

6. Oddly enough, my partner is in the exact same situation I am. A new job, new responsibilities, and tonight was his last night. What are the odds that it would happen that way: 2 league members, 2 new jobs, 2 weeks?

7. One more week to go. I hope to go out in a blaze of glory next week. A 700+ (or better yet, a 300) would be nice.

Returned to action tonight...

241-228-221 - 690

Best night of the year...I was able to carry and string strikes for the first time all season. Should have been 700+ though...two opens and went several frames in the last game without an X. Elbow is about to explode...feels like I just pitched 15 innings...

Returned to action tonight...

241-228-221 - 690

Best night of the year...I was able to carry and string strikes for the first time all season. Should have been 700+ though...two opens and went several frames in the last game without an X. Elbow is about to explode...feels like I just pitched 15 innings...

Solid series, GMan. Especially on 3 weeks rest, to show no real signs of rust. You've had a rough go of it this year, and to come back that strong is very nice. Always those damned opens, isn't it?

My final night of the Tuesday night season up here in PA.

181-192-237. A 610 series.

Given the low scores of the first two games, it's not surprising that I lost the first two. I had some carry issues from the 4th frame of the 1st game (started X-X-X) until the 7th frame of the 2nd game. I had just 3 strikes in that span. One of those shots was pure, and I left a 5-pin. I had angle, had rotation, and still left a 5-pin.

I lost Game #2 by 1 pin. My opponent opened in the 10th, and I needed X/ or /X to tie. Go 9/ to start the 10th frame. On the last ball, I needed the strike. I uncorked the prettiest ball I have ever thrown or will ever throw. Everything about that shot was perfect. Perfect release, perfect target, perfect angle, perfect rotation. Left a ringing 10-pin. It was not light. Absolutely wasn't light.

I ended it in style, though. Threw a 3-bagger twice in that final game: frames 2-3-4 and 8-9-10. Alternated Xs and /s in the middle. Like the team captain said, "leave no doubt". Rallied hard to throw my 14th 600-series in my last 17 chances, and 16/17 series with 590+.

I'll end my season with the following:

1. 57 games.

2. 11221 total pins.

3. Average of 196.85.

4. A 33.5-23.5 record against opponents.

5. Lots of "what could have been" thoughts about cracking a 200 average.

6. Fond memories of bowling with my only league championship winning team.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after bowling the 690 two weeks ago, I've followed it up in craptacular fashion.

Last week, I fired a 196 final game to break into the mid 520's.

Last night, was more of the same. After rolling a team high (by 20+ pins) 159 in the first game, and continuing that blistering pace with a second 159 in game two, I decided to go for the triplicate. We were getting our asses kicked and no one else on my team was bowling worth a shit anyway, so, why not??? I had never done that before.

Third game continued like the first, lots of pockets shots with awful carry. Left ringing tens, 4-pins, 7-pins...converted some, but missed a few. Following a strike in the 9th (a definite rarity last night), I entered the 10th needing a spare and 9 count on the fill ball to complete the trifecta.

First ball in the 10th was a beauty!!! Dead solid pocket leaving an even more solid 8-pin...easy spare...only a 9 count away, now. Rolled the fill ball, looking like another excellent pocket shot that had left the ringing 10 all night long. NO!!!! It carried the 10-pin putting me one pin over my attempt at trifection...

159-159-160 - 478

This past Thursday was my worst series in a long time!! 148-124-151 for a powerful 423 series. That was the most sparadic I have been in a long long time!!!

I blame it on a drive back from Richmond that afternoon!! LOL :)

Going to call Mountaineer and Fireside this afternoon to see what they've got in terms of leagues. Haven't bowled since leaving PA.

Just in case you didnt find anything out about leagues at Fireside.

They have Tuesday league that starts at 6:30. Wed starts at 7 and Thursday starts at 7.

Actually, One of my team mates will be going into the Air Force soon and we will be needing a replacement. If interested in finishing the year out with us, just let me know

Just in case you didnt find anything out about leagues at Fireside.

They have Tuesday league that starts at 6:30. Wed starts at 7 and Thursday starts at 7.

Actually, One of my team mates will be going into the Air Force soon and we will be needing a replacement. If interested in finishing the year out with us, just let me know

How soon will he be going into the Air Force? I'd certainly give it some thought.

Called both houses today, both said they'd get back in touch with me in a few days.

How soon will he be going into the Air Force? I'd certainly give it some thought.

Called both houses today, both said they'd get back in touch with me in a few days.

To be honest, I am not really sure!! He said he is waiting for a job to open up.

If you just want to get some bowling in and sub for now, Teams are almost always needing someone on Thursdays. We are gonna be bowling week 6 of the 3rd quarter tonight.

To be honest, I am not really sure!! He said he is waiting for a job to open up.

If you just want to get some bowling in and sub for now, Teams are almost always needing someone on Thursdays. We are gonna be bowling week 6 of the 3rd quarter tonight.

So ten weeks to go from this point, not bad!

It's just hard for me to justify driving to Claypool Hill not being sure if my services would be needed, especially since the leagues start two hours after I finish at work. Knowing my luck, the first week I'd do this would be the week that everyone shows up, LOL. I would prefer to have a confirmed need before committing. Still waiting for them to get back in touch with me.