Bowling, 2011-2012

One of the strangest series I've ever bowled last night.

209-190-220, a 619 series. I can't really be disappointed by that, but I left SEVEN open frames, which goes to show you how often I struck. Two each in the 1st/3rd games, three in the 2nd. Sure, three of those were virtually impossible to make, but the other 4 were chopped multi-pin spares. Chopped the 1-2-4 twice, chopped the 3-6-10 once, chopped the 3-6 once. Left 70+ pins on the lane, which is just frustrating when you're rolling strikes well.

Only took 11 of the 23 total games (though I did take all three of mine). Their anchor bowler bowled both the league high game (279) and league-high series (755) last night. One of those "always-seems-to-bowl-well-against-us" kind of teams.

Off until next Tuesday, since I've prebowled for Friday night (and did very poorly).

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

203-215-179 - 597

Made an equipment change since what I had been rolling wasn't matching up very well. Started out pretty good but opened in the 10th frame riding a turkey. Fairly solid second game...no opens. Third game turned into split city...four opens on big splits. Needed to strike out in the 10th to shoot 600...go XX then left my fifth split of the game on the 12th ball...a fitting end to that game...

Team got all 8 points last night...only the second time in 11 weeks...

203-215-179 - 597

Made an equipment change since what I had been rolling wasn't matching up very well. Started out pretty good but opened in the 10th frame riding a turkey. Fairly solid second game...no opens. Third game turned into split city...four opens on big splits. Needed to strike out in the 10th to shoot 600...go XX then left my fifth split of the game on the 12th ball...a fitting end to that game...

Team got all 8 points last night...only the second time in 11 weeks...

That's a solid series and a solid week.

Certainly better than I did last night. 167-215-143. Weird, weird set. Each lane was wildly different: ball was hooking abnormally hard on the left lane, and if you missed your mark by 1/2 board on the right lane, you weren't hitting the pocket. Started off hot on the left lane in Game 1, but everything on the right was leaving 1-2-4-10s and shots like that. As the lanes broke down, the right lane became manageable while the left lane became impossible.

I won the 2nd game against my opponent...one of just 3 wins for my team on the night. We went 3-20. We got machined, really. We were bowling the league's high-average team. In Game 2, all 5 of our bowlers rolled above our averages...and we still lost by 110.

Each lane was wildly different: ball was hooking abnormally hard on the left lane, and if you missed your mark by 1/2 board on the right lane, you weren't hitting the pocket.

You weren't bowling at Mountaineer were you???? LOL

One of my 10-best series ever last night, on a right foot that was having gout pains.

216-278-202. 696 series, which is a shame, considering how the first two games went. I threw 4 splits, all nasty and none salvageable. Three of them game in the 3rd game, all of them came on the same lane. Four opens overall, which is just devastating when your strike percentage is 75%+. Also left two 8-pin leaves in the 1st game on balls that were just perfect (only had 4 single-pin spares all night, went 4/4). Both of them ended what would've been long strike runs in the beginning and end of the game. Cost me 38 pins, thanks to their convenient placement.

The 2nd game was special. Didn't keep my head down in the 1st frame and missed my mark by 2 boards right. The ball never got back into the pocket, left the 1-2-4-10. Chopped the 1-2 off the spare shot. I didn't miss after that. Threw 11-in-a-row to end the game with the unorthodox 278. I needed a fair bit of luck on 3 of those shots: came in high in the 3rd frame and tripped out the 4-pin; came in light in the 5th frame and scattered them; came in high again in the 8th frame and tripped pins. Of course, my 1st shot in the 3rd game was a strike, which made me feel just lovely.

In a USBC-sanctioned league, you get a plaque for doing this, even if it is getting the last 11 instead of the first 11. First time this has happened in that league this year, usually happens 3-4 times each season. The 278 is good enough for 2nd-high scratch game. With my handicap (189 average, 80% of 220) of 24 pins, it came out to a 302, which is good enough for 1st, and it'll probably stay that way for quite some time.

The 3rd-game just hurt, for three reasons. One, needing a 206 for a 700-series and missing it by 4 pins. Two, my opponent blew my doors off with a 246 of his own (and his handicap was higher than mine), so I didn't even sweep him. Three, gout pains. My foot had twinges of pain all day, but my foot really started to hurt and lose its flexibility during that third game. Led to some poor shots to start out that game, even though I got very lucky on a couple for strikes.

The odd thing about gout is that sometimes it will hurt so badly, but be in a place in my foot that doesn't affect my fluidity of motion. Last night, it hurt quite a bit, but I could keep my footwork and not have any ill effects. If anything, it makes me slow down and helps keep me steady instead of rushing.

Very interesting night.

In a USBC-sanctioned league, you get a plaque for doing this, even if it is getting the last 11 instead of the first 11.

I bowl in a sanctioned league and I didn't get anything for my 11-in-a-row (290). Got a USBC drink coaster when I rolled 299.

This is what you get this year for 11-in-a-row...

http://www.bowl.com/awards/award_details.jsp?award_id=15

Nice set, BTW!!!

I took the week off...wife's birthday was Monday and we had all the family over for pizza and cookie cake. I'd like to take the rest of the year off but I can't do that...

I bowl in a sanctioned league and I didn't get anything for my 11-in-a-row (290). Got a USBC drink coaster when I rolled 299.

This is what you get this year for 11-in-a-row...

http://www.bowl.com/awards/award_details.jsp?award_id=15

Nice set, BTW!!!

I took the week off...wife's birthday was Monday and we had all the family over for pizza and cookie cake. I'd like to take the rest of the year off but I can't do that...

Many thanks! And why didn't you get the 11-in-a-row award for the 290? That's a shame, should've had something to commemorate that. The league secretary's my team's anchor bowler, so I'm confident I'll get that nice award come May. He's very much on the ball with everything that happens (and he's bowled four 300 sanctioned games of his own). His son's going to be even better than that, has two 800 series already.

Hope your elbow feels better. Been a rough start to the season for you. Maybe a break's just what you need. Took a week off last month, and have been bowling better since.

Nice set and congrats on the 11 in a row!!!! Just fair warning though, When i got my 11 in a row last year it took like 5 months to get the trophy in becasue the association has to confirm the score and all this stuff.

Had a decent set myself last nite 220+212+233=665

Just a really odd nite where the ball just doesnt feel right in your hand but made the most of it. Cant really remember what happen for the most part. lol

Just know that i got lucky on a few occasions and screwed up on a few occasions also.

Nice set and congrats on the 11 in a row!!!! Just fair warning though, When i got my 11 in a row last year it took like 5 months to get the trophy in becasue the association has to confirm the score and all this stuff.

Had a decent set myself last nite 220+212+233=665

Just a really odd nite where the ball just doesnt feel right in your hand but made the most of it. Cant really remember what happen for the most part. lol

Just know that i got lucky on a few occasions and screwed up on a few occasions also.

A 665 is decent? ;). What's your average, exactly? Well done, though!

I'm hoping it doesn't take that long. I think my league secretary will get on it, and if not, I'll get on his ass about it! He's my team's anchor bowler, and he's had experience with the procedure.

Thanks but its no 698 :( Dont get my wrong ill take it a set like that any time i can get it. Right now with the way my job is i only get to bowl ev, I ry other week. It seems to be working though or atleast not hurting me, I have a 202 right now but ive only got to bowl 12 games so far this season.

Not for sure how long it took them to get on the ball and order the trophy but from the time i bowled it to the time i got the trophy it was almost 5 months. They should also ask you what kind of ball you used to throw the strikes, I guess its something to do with the association. None the less i hope you get your trophy faster than i got mine. Its a nice trophy though

Many thanks! And why didn't you get the 11-in-a-row award for the 290?

Good question. I filled out all the paper work and the league secretary is very diligent and always takes care of stuff like this (form CPA). Not sure why I didn't get anything. Although that was the first year of "cutbacks" by the USBC and they may not have had an award for that that year, although it was still listed on the "awards form" I completed.

That's OK...I'm still going to get that 300/800 ring...LOL...

218-192-201. 611 series, not too bad, right?

Wrong. Our opponents, who had a 141 and 145 average respectively, shot a 511 and 562 series against us. That's only about 90 and 130 pins over average for a series, and when you're giving them 72 pins of handicap, you really can't win. My partner, a 188 average, threw a 486 series, but even if he had shot his average, we'd have only won the 1st game, the only game they bowled even relatively close to their average. They SCRATCHED 392 the last game.

My first two games were clean, but the strikes just didn't come. Only threw 3 strikes the 2nd game, one of them on the last shot of the 10th. In the 3rd game, finally started rolling strikes, but had the game sidetracked by 2 open frames...a 1-2-4-10 and a goof on a 6-pin. Probably the lowest I've felt after shooting a 600. We started 27-5, and we're 2-10 in our last 3 weeks to fall 3 games out of first.

Returned to the lanes this evening...174-222-195 - 591

Started the first game with a whiffed 10-pin and finished with a 4-6-7 in the 10th...bowled much better than I scored.

Second game was pretty good with the exception of an open in the 7th frame, a pocket 4-9, which I also whiffed on.

Last game was clean, just couldn't string any strikes.

Three opens and don't break 600...I've had nights with three opens that I've nearly shot 700...go figure...

Returned to the lanes this evening...174-222-195 - 591

Started the first game with a whiffed 10-pin and finished with a 4-6-7 in the 10th...bowled much better than I scored.

Second game was pretty good with the exception of an open in the 7th frame, a pocket 4-9, which I also whiffed on.

Last game was clean, just couldn't string any strikes.

Three opens and don't break 600...I've had nights with three opens that I've nearly shot 700...go figure...

That's an alright series, one that's not going to hurt too badly in the long run. Nice 2nd game, though, just a shame about the 4-9. I've found it amazing how you can shoot cleaner and do nearly 100 pins worse. In my 696 last Tuesday, I had 4 opens. In my 611 on Friday, just 2 opens, both in the 3rd game when I still shot over 200.

Weird night. Very weird night.

167-192-193. The 552 part sounds mediocre until you factor in that I had to STRIKE OUT in each of those 3 games to get those scores. In the 1st and 3rd games, I had 4 in a row to end it. Had 8 open frames, just 1 a split, though I did hit an improbable 2-4-10. I won my last game by 2 pins, lost the first 2. Opponents blew us out of the building again. We seem to be getting every team's best shot this year.

193-196-193 - 582

Two opens all night, whiffed a 4-pin in the 3rd frame of game one and whiffed a 7-pin in the 10th frame of the last game. Once again could not string any strikes. The one time I did double, in the second game, I followed it up with a 3-count/spare. Did have lots of 9-counts though...left 4-pins, 6-pins, and everything on the backrow at least once.

193-196-193 - 582

Two opens all night, whiffed a 4-pin in the 3rd frame of game one and whiffed a 7-pin in the 10th frame of the last game. Once again could not string any strikes. The one time I did double, in the second game, I followed it up with a 3-count/spare. Did have lots of 9-counts though...left 4-pins, 6-pins, and everything on the backrow at least once.

Can't beat yourself up over that set. Nice, consistent work, especially with having just 2 opens.

Friday night was strange for me. 159-213-216 for a 588 series. I've been ill this last week with sinus + ear infection, and the way my inner ear workings are, I can get a vertigo-like sensation until I get my bearings about me. The first game was that way. I threw 4 opens, some of which were just indescribable. I whiffed on a 3-6 spare, for example. The worst of which was in the 10th frame, and it was one of the worst shots I'd ever thrown. I needed a mark to clinch a win, and I missed my mark so badly that I missed the headpin left and took out the 2-4-7-8, leaving a ridiculous 1-3-5-6-9-10 spare. I didn't cover the 5, and we ended up losing.

I took about a 5-minute breather to relax (and calm down), and I managed to shoot 2 clean games in a row to end the night. Threw a turkey in the 2nd game and doubled twice in the 3rd game.

Went 3-1, but we're slumping. Now 4 games out of first in that league.

Can't beat yourself up over that set. Nice, consistent work, especially with having just 2 opens.

Agreed, however, if I were stringing some strikes together, I'd have back-to-back upper 600 series, if not a 700. I haven't had a strike in the 10th frame since the 3rd game of 10/24...

Bowled 2 series tonight. My Tuesday night 5-man league and pre-bowled my Friday night doubles.

How's this for 2 series?

201-169-238: 608 series

161-268-179: 608 series

A perfect example of how wildly inconsistent I've been. I can go whole games where the mechanics are almost flawless, then go whole games where the mechanics are screwed beyond recognition. In the first set, I threw 6 opens in the first 15 frames, then didn't throw anything worse than 9/ for the last 15. I went from hitting 3 strikes in the first game of the second set to throwing 9-in-a-row from 2nd-10th in the second game (missed a split in the 1st).

I won 2 of my 3 games in the first set (oddly enough, the 169 and the 238...I lost the 201 to my opponent's 210). The team went a whopping 19-4 tonight to stem the slide. Friday night, we'll probably go 2-2. They'd need a mammoth effort to overcome that 268 in Game 2.

Regardless, it's better than the three-straight 540-series I've thrown (549, 542, 545). That's why I hadn't posted as much. Not much to be proud of before tonight.

Guy on the team we bowled against went 159-268-232...2nd game he went X-XXXXXXXXXX and then stated the 3rd game XXXXX. His open in that stretch was a pocket 7-10 that immediately followed my pocket 7-10 on the other lane. I told him that'll teach him to roll while another 7-10 was standing on the lane beside him...LOL...

I returned to action tonight after taking last week off...

202-138-226 - 566

2nd game went to hell in a handbasket...

We're bowling far too much like each other.

And we lost the 2nd game by 7 pins...even with my 138 and the guy on the other team's 268...

Can't put three games together...190-174-210 - 574...no carry/corner pin city...made all sorts of moves on the approach and lane but could not get the 10-pin out but when I did, I left the 7-pin. Only missed one 10-pin out of 11 last night...