Bowling, 2011-2012

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UVAO - 585

GMan - 556

It was ugly...especially the last game...

Steal my thunder, why don't you. ;)

My first night subbing back home, and it was the Monday night league at Mountaineer. Guess who's on the opposing team? Couldn't have scripted it any better! Got a call at 7:15 asking if I could make it by 7:30. Left at 7:19 and got there in the middle of the 2nd frame.

Some good, some average, some bad. 187-220-178 for that said 585. Had a nice run of 5 strikes in a row in the 2nd game, but had one bad leave every game. An 8-10 in the 1st, a botched 1-2-4-8 in the 2nd, and a 6-7-10 in the 3rd. Fortunate to make the majority of the spares, because I threw some wonky first shots.

The ball reacts quite a bit differently at Mountaineer than it did at ABC West in PA. Slower to catch the lane and a less sharp backend when it does. Places a premium on good (not perfect, but good) shot-making. Had a few mental lapses where I forgot I wasn't in PA anymore, and it showed. Lots of 6s and 7s on first shots tonight.

Loved being back home, though. Great guys on that league.

Got a chance to bowl on the lane next to GMan, and had the privilege to bowl on MV's team last night down in Claypool Hill. I just wish I'd done better, LOL.

167-150-182. A dreadful 498 series.

I just couldn't get the ball to react the same way twice. I could throw the same shot at the same mark twice, and get two wildly different reactions. Thinking back on it, I think the front of the lane wasn't oiled consistently...which leads to my ball catching very early sometimes and not catching at all other times. Given how I throw, I need the front of the lane to be consistent so my ball can get through the front to do its work on the back.

That being said, I had more fun last night than I have in a while. Great to make a new friend, too. Like Monday night, some great folks on that Thursday league. Another plus, I'll have a huge handicap if I'm ever needed again!

Got a chance to bowl on the lane next to GMan, and had the privilege to bowl on MV's team last night down in Claypool Hill. I just wish I'd done better, LOL.

I just couldn't get the ball to react the same way twice. I could throw the same shot at the same mark twice, and get two wildly different reactions. Thinking back on it, I think the front of the lane wasn't oiled consistently...which leads to my ball catching very early sometimes and not catching at all other times. Given how I throw, I need the front of the lane to be consistent so my ball can get through the front to do its work on the back.

That being said, I had more fun last night than I have in a while. Great to make a new friend, too. Like Monday night, some great folks on that Thursday league. Another plus, I'll have a huge handicap if I'm ever needed again!

Burnt heads suck!!!! Only remedy is LOFT...

Burnt heads suck!!!! Only remedy is LOFT...

Probably should've tried that. I tried to go more outside-in, and it would give me decent results for 3 shots. On shot #4, it wouldn't budge. When I talk about outside-in, I'm talking about "standing on the 20-board, throwing out to the 4 board". And you know that's not my style. Then on shot 4, it wouldn't budge. I'd move back inside, and it'd work decent for 2-3 frames, then it'd catch early and miss entirely.

I'll keep that in mind if the head of the lane's so rough next time.

Atleast your powerful 498 series beat my powerful 491 (175-170-146) LOL

Was glad to meet you and get to bowl with ya. was a good time!!

• 2 weeks later...

How about this series tonight?

212-149-224 for the 585 series. In that order, too.

Bowled down at Fireside on MV's team tonight, which is always a pleasure. Heads of the lanes were in much better shape, but the backend was still awfully, awfully dry. I found a happy medium early in the 1st game by adjusting my target 15-20 feet down the lane. This meant that I was coming slightly inside-out. Again, that's not my strength, but it worked well enough for 7 strikes in Game 1...a run of 3 and a run of 4 to end it. That counterbalanced the two opens. Game 2 was a doozy...a washout, two splits, and two chopped spares combining with strike inconsistency produced an awful 149. The third game, though, was better. X-/-/-X start, followed by another 3-6 chop. Thankfully, though, I threw the next 5 in a row (3 of them crossing over as the lane dried out) to close strong.

Definitely a strange way to get there. Ties my best series since being back home. And it was fun to get my first two 200 games at Fireside!

BTW, I have a full-time league on Wednesdays now. A frustrating 550 series, one where I pounded the pocket very often with very inconsistent results.

BTW, I have a full-time league on Wednesdays now. A frustrating 550 series, one where I pounded the pocket very often with very inconsistent results.

At Mountaineer? Who you bowling with?

If you were talking about pounding the pocket at Fireside and getting inconsistent results then I know exactly what you mean, I enjoy it there tho there are some very nice people there.

I picture GMan and UVAO celebrating like this when they bowl well:

BTW, that's one of the strongest fist pumps you'll ever see.

That was the greatest strike in PBA Tour history!!!! I'm a huge PDW fan...have been since I was a teenager (yeh, he's only 5 years older than me but he was PBA Rookie of the Year when I was 13).

Now, I don't celebrate like that but I do give the pins the PDW stare sometimes (also been known to throw out a "crotch chop" every once in a while)...that's right...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry-_ba58moY

Fist pumps and crotch chops. Ole PDW.

Nah, he's more like Del Ballard here:

This one, oddly enough, includes a younger Weber.

You know, I've tossed more in the gutter in the last two months than I have in the last eight years since I started bowling again. Nice pull, btw...

You know, I've tossed more in the gutter in the last two months than I have in the last eight years since I started bowling again. Nice pull, btw...

LOL, thanks. ;)

Didn't you throw one this last Monday night? IIRC, you nailed the spare.

As oily as the lanes have been on the outside lately, I can't blame anyone for that.

LOL, thanks. ;)

Didn't you throw one this last Monday night? IIRC, you nailed the spare.

As oily as the lanes have been on the outside lately, I can't blame anyone for that.

Yes, I did...on a double, too...

About like the 2nd game...246-171-175 - 592...lanes changed early in the 2nd game and I couldn't find anything...move left/hangs left, move right/through the nose...should have just gone straight with the plastic ball...

Finally...FINALLY...a series to not be embarrassed about.

213-185-214. Comes out to a 612, the first 600 series I've shot while being back home.

Took me 6 frames to throw my first strike, but once I did, they came in strings. 4-in-a-row to end game one, 3-in-a-row in the middle of the 2nd, and a run of 3 and 2 in the last game. Did throw 4 opens, but three of them were nasty splits 4-9, 2-10, and the bizarre 3-7-9-10. The other one was a chop. Had some poor counts in the 2nd game, which really killed my chance to push the series score even higher.

Did hit 2 strikes in the 10th to propel the team to a win in the 3rd game and a series win.

A fun night...hopefully, one of many to come.