Sept. 2nd

UNIONFAN

Next Friday night a very talented Richlands team travels to Bullitt park to take on the Union Bears. As you know I am a Union supporter, but I am also a realist. Union is much improved in the conditioning area as compared to the Powell Valley Vikings of recent years, and they have some very scrappy players with a ton of heart (as was proven last night). The coaching scheme was pretty much old school football but a blind man could tell when they were goin to pass the ball, so that needs to change. Im positive that they will fix some issues this week in practice.

That being said, I am hopeful to see what will be a great played ball game.

I am predicting that its going to be a hard hitting, well played game with a ton of excitment. Score wise, much like this week's 31 to 13 over Gate City.

Richlands should come out with a W but it will be earned IMO.

Richlands 35 Union 14 (although i will pull for my bears to win)

I think it will be close also. But I think how close will depend on weather D johnson is able to play. PV & APP always had good teams and good athletes with a lot tradition so together they should be very good. It's always tough to play at Bullitt park also.

Should be a good test for both teams and a fun game to watch, I just hope Devon is able to play.

I think this one will be closer than people think...

I heard some Graham fans say that in regards to Graham-Beaver game...;)

Richlands names the score with Johnson...wins by 3 TDs without Johnson...

If by miracle that Devon is ok don't look for him to play Friday at Union.

knew the G-men would get blown out.

I think listening to Mance after the game last night he is going to play his starters the whole game this week, he said they have been doing too many subs and the starters aren't in the condition he wants them in...I just think it's going to be within a couple of TD's or so...i think most will expect a blow out.

I also think Mance may sit Devon out regardless, he will need him later on and they will probably be fine without him for this game.

It's been a while since I been to Big Stone Gap, but I guess I'll be making that trips again friday, Richlands has a lot of room for improvement, but then again I still feel that GC is a quality team so you have to tip your hat to them a bit for their hard style of play, when/If #44 is in the game the running game comes much tougher for opponents, I dont think he will play regardless of what his injury turns out to be and I see Richlands playing a steady game and ending up winning by 2-3 scores, its a long season and right now Richlands has a lot of youth on the field, should be a trial by fire for them tho, hopefully they grow up fast.

i agree i think it was a litttle scary for them all to see one of their leaders go down but they came through as a team and will be fine this week i think. with the entire season to think about no matter the injury to devon if it is small i do no think you will see him for the next to weeks union and the g-men to do not mean alot with them both single a now. i think if he is ok you will see him week 4 thats when the aa games start for the blues. i will say our young guys steped up but there is the chance for a big play or two but like sombody said they will learn from it and should be ok.

i just watched the highlight tape on you tube from the lee high game i feel a little better about the blues winning now. the passing plays i saw where give aways agree and # 5 was the only one that a seen get a pass trown to. the blues see passes all the time so that should not work. the # 23 kid looked real good but not up the middle on a line that goes 295 i would have to guess. the blues by 3 scores should be safe. but union should win some games for sure. i just think they need some more time to come to geather. think about it put the blues and say honaker just cause everyone is saying they have a good core team this yr. alot would say state champs for sure wrong they have to come together they have been raised to hate each other on the football field right. now they have the same uniform on may not see it but its there. 2 3 yr they will be a great program i think if the coaches are not on the sidlines holding up a sign here comes the pass lol. god luck to both and keep them all safe.

Guest Chubz
should be an interesting game, Union High's first home football game they will be pumped, but so will Richlands.

Indeed. This is going to be a battle for the ages. Union will be wanting to get their first home victory to pump themselves up, but Richlands is just as tough as ever and even without Johnson will pose a huge threat. I can't wait. I bet Bullitt Park is going to be jam-packed this Friday night.

This iswhy I love SWVA Chat. Yall are some of the most respectful people I have ever had the pleasure of posting with. Not trash talking just honest opinions and facts to back them up! God Bless Yall.

With that being said, I have talked to a couple of the Union Players who are really dissapointed in their play last week with missed tackles and over persuit so they are determined to fix that this week (as well as the coaches are). I look for a well fought ball game and a Ton of heart being poured out from both sidelines. Dont let the U fool ya they are coming to play, but the Blues are tough no matter when or where ya play em.

Gonna be an epic game

Gonna be an excellent game. It just sucks I can't make it in time. I work in Grundy, and don't get off untill 6. Even going through Haysi and Clintwood and Pound and such won't get me there by 7:30!! Im pretty upset. lol

Gonna be an excellent game. It just sucks I can't make it in time. I work in Grundy, and don't get off untill 6. Even going through Haysi and Clintwood and Pound and such won't get me there by 7:30!! Im pretty upset. lol[/QU

You might need to get sick at around 5pm. lol

I must say Richlands football fans are some of the most honest, respectful and well spoken people I've ever had the pleasure of speaking with. Very humble in my opinion. Personally I am very pleased that a school in the SWD in SWVA that is truly AA was able to get dedicated and build a program up to the dynasty it is becoming. I have much more respect for Richlands football than Christiansburg wrestling. Hometown kids, brought up through the feeder programs, working hard and being coached up to the top of their potential.

I'd watched more than a hundred Phil Robbins coached Powell Valley Vikings games before last years' match-up with Richlands - including big wins and big loses. But the game was the largest mis-match I'd ever seen. For certain, Richlands was much much better than PV on that night. The score did not reflect the mis-match. I'd witnessed the Vikings team in 1998 with Julius Jones, which I still consider our areas all-time greatest team, but I don't think they outmanned anyone on any specific night the way Richlands outmanned the Vikes last season. I was truely surprised that the Blues didn't win a state title last year.

I just can't believe Richlands has dropped down enough to make this year's visit to Bullitt Park much different. I plan to attend and I hope for a contest. I don't expect one. I predict Richlands wins 42 - 13.

Gonna be an excellent game. It just sucks I can't make it in time. I work in Grundy, and don't get off untill 6. Even going through Haysi and Clintwood and Pound and such won't get me there by 7:30!! Im pretty upset. lol[/QU

You might need to get sick at around 5pm. lol

Been thinking of it. Only problem is my girlfriend and her friend ride with me as well. Means they will have to leave an hour early too. But we can make it up on Saturday......so it's definatly a possibility.

I will say this about the game friday, As a Richlands fan I still rember three years ago when powell valley came to Richlands and people keep saying the blues would win by two or three tds or more and it didnt happen and pv walked out with the w. I look for it to be a very close game myself and the blues do not need to fall into another trap like three years ago. Union will be fired up for their first ever home game and will be wonting to win it badley. I think Richlands should win the game but they better be ready for a fight and I beleave they will be.

I will say this about the game friday, As a Richlands fan I still rember three years ago when powell valley came to Richlands and people keep saying the blues would win by two or three tds or more and it didnt happen and pv walked out with the w. I look for it to be a very close game myself and the blues do not need to fall into another trap like three years ago. Union will be fired up for their first ever home game and will be wonting to win it badley. I think Richlands should win the game but they better be ready for a fight and I beleave they will be.

Two years ago at Powell Valley it came down to the last few plays of the game. Powell Valley has played Richlands as tough as anybody and now you add Appy? Going to be a good one.