Ten Candidates For The SEC’s 14th School/ WVU, Missouri, Tech??

wvuraiders

Just an interesting school of thought here. What about ECU? This is a program that has been on the rise for the past several years. Could the SEC consider them or would they be a possibility for a fillin of the raided ACC or Big East?

A fill-in, though ECU would be a great fit for the SEC as a baseball school.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main reason that Baylor was included in the Big XII is because a Baylor alumna was Governor of Texas at the time the conference was created.

Bingo. If people think politics played a big role in Virginia education and sports, Texas takes that to a whole new level. Heck, even Bill Clements was in on the SMU deal, the one who preceded the Baylor alumna...

I know they are getting no love from the media and this is just me thinking, but in my opinion, Louisville should be the Dark Horse in this whole SEC mantra.

1.) It makes sense regionally (even though $$ will reign supreme no matter what).

2.) Even though they play fairly regularly, it would establish a great rivalry between UofL and UK in all sports and could eventually transform into a great conference game (ala Auburn vs. Bama)

3.) Despite their current position in the football world, they have won a BCS game in the past the decade so there is some sort of relevance in the the "big time." They have the ability and the resources to become relevant again at the national level, IMO.

4.) Their basketball program brings in the $$$ and TONS of it - and that's what the SEC wants. It would also be an upgrade to the conference basketball wise.

5.) The Louisville TV market is one that would definitely be an asset to the conference.

I've got to believe that the SEC has several viable and willing candidates available to balloon to whatever arbitrary membership number they desire. But I'd love to see the prospectus that the membership is using as a guide for their decision making. At some point, the law of diminishing returns has to kick in and take a seriously large chunk out of the profitability of expansion.

I've got to believe that the SEC has several viable and willing candidates available to balloon to whatever arbitrary membership number they desire. But I'd love to see the prospectus that the membership is using as a guide for their decision making. At some point, the law of diminishing returns has to kick in and take a seriously large chunk out of the profitability of expansion.

To a point I'd agree, but it seems like the arbitrary number wouldn't be larger than 16. If that's the number, there are enough participants to get there and still profit.

To a point I'd agree, but it seems like the arbitrary number wouldn't be larger than 16. If that's the number, there are enough participants to get there and still profit.

Gotta be the "correct" 16 for it to work, then.

The WAC's already gone down that road. And aside from the logistical nightmares associated with that conference due to its geography, I'm going to remain skeptical that the SEC can do a whole lot better on the basis of its clout and cachet.

Missouri and Oklahoma probably make sense. After those two, the quality of apparently willing partners (and the relative value thereof) seems to take a sharp drop. Will they take a WVU or TCU simply to get to 16?

We certainly live in interesting times.

Slive's comment a couple of weeks ago when asked about growing to 16 when asked was "We could get to 16 teams in 5 minutes if we want to." I know thats a little outlandish, but to that point, I am sure there have already been some discussions made about it.

I dont see Louisville in the plan though. Kentucky is already there, so it doesn't really grow the market.

Gotta be the "correct" 16 for it to work, then.

The WAC's already gone down that road. And aside from the logistical nightmares associated with that conference due to its geography, I'm going to remain skeptical that the SEC can do a whole lot better on the basis of its clout and cachet.

Missouri and Oklahoma probably make sense. After those two, the quality of apparently willing partners (and the relative value thereof) seems to take a sharp drop. Will they take a WVU or TCU simply to get to 16?

We certainly live in interesting times.

You bring up good points. One difference I see with the SEC and WAC is the names that may join the SEC are far and away more significant names that the WAC added within the last decade. You mention Missouri and Oklahoma. I think Texas A&M makes sense based upon potential revenue dollars. Any one of many teams could be #16: TCU, Clemson, WVU, FSU, etc. I'm hesitant to include VT due to the politics.

I think I esteem TCU a bit higher than you may. TCU has some football history and is currently doing very well. TCU also succeeds at baseball, the #3 revenue sport. TCU's basketball history is certainly spotty, which harms it. Education aside, in terms of sports, I don't think it's an awful fit. Plus, it would give the Aggies a nearby rival.

Whereas, when you look at the WAC's expansion during the 2000s, the following teams were added: Nevada, Louisiana Tech, Utah State, New Mexico State, and Idaho. Not athletic powerhouses by any stretch, and the LT addition is geographically bewildering. LT flying to Hawaii isn't as much of a hike as College Station to Columbia. Pretty much, except for the states of Virginia, North Carolina and Kansas and UK as the school outlier, the SEC would encompass the whole Confederacy with my additions.

BTW, here are three fun facts about the WAC I found while checking myself. First, the WAC was formed in July 1962. Second, none of the charter members remain. Third, after Fresno State, Nevada, and Hawaii (in everything but football) leave next season, the member with the oldest tenure will be San Jose State, who joined in 1996.

All the talk of conference shakeups is exciting. I do wonder how it all will shake out in the next decade.

I've always enjoyed watching SEC football. WVU has been able to hold it's own against the SEC in recent years. I don't deny that WVU will go from being the favorite 1st or 2nd team to falling down the list, but if you want to be the best, play the best. With in conference schedule, you don't determine your opponents. OOC, you almost have to take a few easy wins to play the rankings game. WVU currently plays LSU, with MSU and FSU in future reg season games in order to toughen up the schedule.

It would be great football to watch WVU in the SEC. Imagine every weekend, a good game. I have always been a Big East homer, and I would prefer to add to it and keep it if possible. But the SEC is very tempting.

The ACC wouldn't be a bad idea either. The ACC is historically tough, but hasn't done much better than the BE in the last few years. The addition of WVU and another school or two would look.

On the super conferences.......I hate the ideas. I like all of the smaller conference. If we FIANALLY go to a playoff format, I would still rather see smaller conferences with each conf champ getting in similar to bball.

I pesonally think that the NCAA will end up going to only 4 super divisions! whats everyones thoughts on that happening?

I agree 4 "superconferences" with 16 teams based on geographic regions.