Ten Candidates For The SEC’s 14th School/ WVU, Missouri, Tech??

wvuraiders

I don't think N.C. State would leave the ACC unless the conference ceased to exist -- even more so than the degree to which this statement applies to Virginia Tech.

From a political and organizational standpoint, they're very tightly bound to UNC. In fact, they're a singular component of the overall UNC system (as are all public universities in the Old North State). Hard to imagine any scenario that would allow them to potentially harm Chapel Hill's conference in any way without some very serious repercussions.

There's also the issue of why they'd want to leave. There's really no reason to believe that N.C. State is anything less than perfectly happy in the ACC.

I agree, and would add that all 4 of the N.C. ACC teams are yoked together as strongly. Wake Forest would be the one most prone to be excluded under a worst-case scenario, but they rival Duke/UNC in academics, so I just can't see it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, and would add that all 4 of the N.C. ACC teams are yoked together as strongly. Wake Forest would be the one most prone to be excluded under a worst-case scenario, but they rival Duke/UNC in academics, so I just can't see it.

The ACC is a really cohesive alliance all around with a very well-established culture that is singularly unique. Outsiders don't grasp this. For that matter, I'm not sure that newcomers (like us Hokies) have a firm grip on it -- but at least our administrators seem to understand that the ACC is something truly special and that we are EXTREMELY fortunate to be a part of it.

This is EXACTLY the factor I said mattered most about 2 weeks ago on this topic, a position that was very unpopular with most here. I still think the SEC cares about money 1st and geography 2nd. I'm talking about "runner-up-to-Secretariat-in-the-Belmont" 2nd.

Missouri is the clear #1 to this question, and I don't really see how this is up for discussion. You get a share in the lucrative Kansas City + St. Louis markets, only two of the top 15 media markets in the entire nation. Yes, Missouri doesn't have the prestige, blah blah blah. Prestige DOES NOT EQUAL MONEY, HENCE IT DOES NOT MATTER. Not as much to you, VT4L, but the inevitable retort I always get on this subject. All prestige does is give you the bandwagon fans that latch onto a winning program, and all Missouri has to do is throw together a few 10-2 seasons, something it has done recently.

#2 is where the discussion gets interesting. I say Texas A&M is the best choice, but since the SEC has been very wishy-washy about its inclusion (university presidents voting against it, then the SEC board of governors voting for it), that's unlikely at best.

I put VT at the #3 choice. Since the Virginia media only cares about VT, something that drives me batty every day, the SEC would get that share plus a good share in the Washington D.C. market. Not too shabby. But given how much a stink the General Assembly raised when it forced VT into the ACC, moving to the SEC without UVA would be prohibited. At least, it damn better be. If the GA allows VT to leave without at least giving UVA the right of refusal (which it would probably exercise), I will never again reside in the state of Virginia, nor will I ever give another penny in revenue to the state of Virginia. I feel that strongly about it. I will not yoke myself to a governmental body that does not have the best interests of the whole state at heart.

The SEC voted yesterday 12-0 to accept Texas A&M. They are in already.

I will say you are correct on the TV markets though. I thought teams like FSU and Clemson would have enough national appeal to add dollars. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

I never said the Duke or UNC would come but I said I thought the SEC would love to have them. I know there is no chance of one without the other. But even if the SEC would take both I don't see anyway that would ever happen.

I think the SEC is looking at 16 already. I know you aren't hearing alot of that from SEC people but the Pac 12 is talking about it. And the SEC isn't going to stand by and pick last. I think that is why you are hearing WVU and Tech. If they are only going to take 14 you are not going to see them take Missouri. You can't move Bama and Auburn to the East. Just wouldn't work form a competive standpoint. The East would be way overloaded. You have to add to the East. Which brings in VT and WVU.....

Strictly football. There's about a 1% chance NC State would desert, and about a .00000000000001% chance Maryland would.

The SEC would never take Duke or UNC. Never.

I really don't think they are as worried about Duke as they do covet UNC. They want the market, but dont care about adding 2 schools from the same market if they don't have to. I really don't see UNC or Duke leaving the ACC because of how they control it. I can see NC State kind of feeling like Texas A&M though.

The SEC voted yesterday 12-0 to accept Texas A&M. They are in already.

I will say you are correct on the TV markets though. I thought teams like FSU and Clemson would have enough national appeal to add dollars. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

I never said the Duke or UNC would come but I said I thought the SEC would love to have them. I know there is no chance of one without the other. But even if the SEC would take both I don't see anyway that would ever happen.

I think the SEC is looking at 16 already. I know you aren't hearing alot of that from SEC people but the Pac 12 is talking about it. And the SEC isn't going to stand by and pick last. I think that is why you are hearing WVU and Tech. If they are only going to take 14 you are not going to see them take Missouri. You can't move Bama and Auburn to the East. Just wouldn't work form a competive standpoint. The East would be way overloaded. You have to add to the East. Which brings in VT and WVU.....

Both sides have to hammer out the terms for A&M to be included. It's not as simple as "we've voted, now you're immediately in". Surprises me, though, because there was a massive change of heart in the last 2 months from the boards of the SEC universities. Just seems like some backdoor palm greasing to me.

The SEC would need to look to 16 to have competitive balance. Instead of arbitrary east/west, why not look toward north/south for divisions? Just a thought.

Both sides have to hammer out the terms for A&M to be included. It's not as simple as "we've voted, now you're immediately in". Surprises me, though, because there was a massive change of heart in the last 2 months from the boards of the SEC universities. Just seems like some backdoor palm greasing to me.

The SEC would need to look to 16 to have competitive balance. Instead of arbitrary east/west, why not look toward north/south for divisions? Just a thought.

The SEC only voted to "stand pat" due to legality issues a few weeks ago. They didn't want to be sued by the Big 12 schools.

The ACC is a really cohesive alliance all around with a very well-established culture that is singularly unique. Outsiders don't grasp this. For that matter, I'm not sure that newcomers (like us Hokies) have a firm grip on it -- but at least our administrators seem to understand that the ACC is something truly special and that we are EXTREMELY fortunate to be a part of it.

All very true. The NC schools are understandably tight, but it's even evident with schools that weren't originally part of forming the alliance: FSU and Clemson, for example. Once you're in, you're in, and if you leave you're out of the family (see how many diehard ACC fans still look down on South Carolina).

The ACC and VT were pretty much the perfect mix at the right time. Unlike BC and Miami, VT seems to have really taken off, and even the historically poor programs (basketball, baseball) are better for having moved.

Don't be surprised if the SEC does snipe FSU, GA Tech, and Clemson from the ACC. Two schools from the same state is a "popular" theme in the SEC...Tenn/Vandy, Auburn/Alabama, Ole Miss/Mississippi St.. Don't be so sure that Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina would be against that idea...especially if the State Govts. get involved, just ask UVA how VT got in the ACC.

With those three gone from the ACC, the ACC would likely snipe some Big East schools to get back to 12, then add a few more to get to 16...WVU would definitely be amongst those schools sniped from the Big East.

As mentioned somewhere above...Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St. will be headed west to the Pac 10/12. I'm not sold on Texas Tech going that direction though.

Missouri has dreams of being in the Big 10/11/12...I think they'll get their wish...eventually, after Notre Dame tells the Big 10/11/12 no for the last time. The big question is, what will happen to Kansas, Kansas St., Iowa St.? Will the Big 10/11/12 invite a couple of them or will they snipe a couple of Big East schools to get to 16? Baylor will likely end up with its former Southwest Conference brothers in C-USA.

There was no "change of heart". All the SEC was doing was protecting themselves from lawsuits from Big 12 schools. You hear these guys talk all the time then 5 minutes later the complete opposite happens. That is the only thing giving me hope with Tech. SEC has targeted A&M since last summer. If you think otherwise you are kidding yourself. They have went to Tech as well. Those were always the two Slive wanted to get the SEC to 14.

That hasn't exactly changed. A tortious interference suit is just as legitimate today as it was in August...

Of course it has changed. All remaining schools in the Big 12 signed off on refraining from legal action against the SEC. That is what the SEC wanted. A&M is in. Done......

That hasn't exactly changed. A tortious interference suit is just as legitimate today as it was in August...

Not against the SEC. It could be levied on A&M, but not the SEC now. At least not a lawsuit that stands a chance of being won.

I would like to see VT to the SEC. TAMU is obviously going to be in the West, we would be in the East. I believe next year we would stand a great chance to win the East. I feel we could beat Tenn, Vandy, and Kentucky without much fight. USC-east and UGA would be good games. And if we were to play UF in Lane, we have a shot. So from a strictly Football standpoint, I don't see why we wouldn't go. As for the money, political pull, etc....that could be different. But I'd like to see us go.

Next year TN should make a big leap toward being back in the top tier programs.

Now theirs reports that the Big 12 approached Arkansas about them defecting from the SEC to the Big 12. That could possibly be used by the SEC to help free up A&Ms move.

Next year TN should make a big leap toward being back in the top tier programs.

Now theirs reports that the Big 12 approached Arkansas about them defecting from the SEC to the Big 12. That could possibly be used by the SEC to help free up A&Ms move.

Arkansas isn't going to leave the SEC...the only way they'll go is if the SEC kicks them out...

Just an interesting school of thought here. What about ECU? This is a program that has been on the rise for the past several years. Could the SEC consider them or would they be a possibility for a fillin of the raided ACC or Big East?

Just an interesting school of thought here. What about ECU? This is a program that has been on the rise for the past several years. Could the SEC consider them or would they be a possibility for a fillin of the raided ACC or Big East?

Not a chance.

I have a better shot of being the head coach at Georgia after Richt is fired at the end of the year.

The Big 12 has agreed not to stand in the way of Texas A&M coming to the SEC, but Baylor has raised objections and concerns about the Aggies leaving the Big 12, stating, "There are real costs when universities begin to break commitments and contracts (beyond simply setting a bad example for the young minds on campus) — up to and including anarchy in the world of college athletics".

http://www2.baylor.edu/baylorproud/2011/09/baylor-takes-steps-to-preserve-big-12-football-and-integrity-in-college-athletics/

http://www.baylor.edu/nation/news.php?action=story&story=98437

The Big 12 has agreed not to stand in the way of Texas A&M coming to the SEC, but Baylor has raised objections and concerns about the Aggies leaving the Big 12, stating, "There are real costs when universities begin to break commitments and contracts (beyond simply setting a bad example for the young minds on campus) — up to and including anarchy in the world of college athletics".

http://www2.baylor.edu/baylorproud/2011/09/baylor-takes-steps-to-preserve-big-12-football-and-integrity-in-college-athletics/

http://www.baylor.edu/nation/news.php?action=story&story=98437

Baylor are a bunch of Baptist hypocrites. They left SMU, TCU, Houston, and Rice hanging when the old SWC split. It is all about the dollar. I don't think it is going to matter. But the Oklahoma comments started this. If their guy hadn't made the comments he made. A&M would be in the SEC right now.

It will not surprise me to see politicians in Waco, Des Moines, Lawrence start to crow about this soon. That will be the only thing that stops it. Congress. Otherwise I still think you are going to see 4 super conferences.

The coaches of these universities have been breaking commitments and promises for decades. It doesn't surprise me that the ADs and Presidents would be any different. They have job responsibilities to look out for the best interests at their school.

Baylor are a bunch of Baptist hypocrites. They left SMU, TCU, Houston, and Rice hanging when the old SWC split.

The main reason that Baylor was included in the Big XII is because a Baylor alumna was Governor of Texas at the time the conference was created.