Ten Candidates For The SEC’s 14th School/ WVU, Missouri, Tech??

wvuraiders

would wvu turn into the kentucky of the sec....serious negotiations coming out of motown about possible move to sec per tweets online...oliver luck is killing it right now as ad...I prefer acc move if possible but who knows still rumors at this point.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonna start $hit, but oh well, here goes...

What does the SEC gain by offering a bid to WVU (or Mizzou for that matter)?

Academics? No.

Tradition? No.

Recruiting pipelines? No.

TV markets? No. (exception being the PA market)

It's a no-brainer to accept if extended a bid to the SEC, but honestly, any ability to compete, and I'm not talking with South Carolina and Mississippi State, is absolutely killed.

And I don't mean this in a derogatory manner towards WVU either. This goes for just about every school that isn't Texas and/or Florida (Tech included).

From my perspective I think it would be a horrible move for us to make. The competition is far beyond what we are used to and we just don't have the recruiting power to compete year in and year out with the SEC. Yes, it's possible that both of those issues could change, however the risk greatly outweighs the benefits.

Oliver Luck is doing great things with WVU athletics and i'm very excited about our future. I just think this would be a step in the wrong direction. Hopefully if offered, he can look away from the $$$ and think about other possibilities.

ACC: YES

SEC: NO

Just my thoughts...

Texas A&M is expected to announce its decision today, so who's next? Va. Tech? West Virginia? And it's curious to me that there is no mention of Clemson in this article. What say you?

By the time you read this, Texas A&M may officially be the SEC’s 13th member. The not-yet-announced race to be the 14th member has already begun, at least in the realm of Internet and media speculation. Since it appears the 12 current members do not want to add schools within existing SEC states, let’s examine — and arbitrarily rank — the contenders for the 14th position.

Southeastern Conference Expansion SEC Football Teams 14

1. Virginia Tech

Why it’s a fit: Like most of the SEC, Tech football has its roots in the old SIAA/Southern Conference. After a quarter-century as an independent, Tech has already made two conference moves in the last 20 years and its ties to the ACC are by no means secure. Under Frank Beamer’s long tenure Tech football has a distinguished record — seven straight 10-win seasons and 19 consecutive postseason appearances — and it is based in a football-focused small town that fits the SEC’s profile perfectly.

Why they would join: Tech gives the SEC not just Virginia’s flagship football school — sorry, Cavalier fans — but arguably the most marketable college football brand in the northeastern/mid-Atlantic corridor. Tech’s alumni base extends well into the DC market and its consistent level of success makes it television mainstay. Adding Tech also restores the balance between the SEC’s East and West divisions without the need for further realignment. For Tech, SEC membership would solidify a football identity that has been in flux since it first joined the Big East in 1991.

Why they won’t join: Tech is a big fish in the shallow waters of ACC football. Moving to the SEC may be too hard a transition on-the-field.

Read More Here

Oliver Luck is doing great things with WVU athletics and i'm very excited about our future. I just think this would be a step in the wrong direction. Hopefully if offered, he can look away from the $$$ and think about other possibilities.

Good post, especially this part. Do we know what the bump up in revenue for WVU would be if they joined the SEC? I would assume it would be a lot... too much to pass up even. But I think you're right as far as taking a step in the wrong direction.

I just asked this question in the other thread we have going about SEC expansion, but it's applicable to Tech and the rest of the schools listed here as well. How much more money would they make if they made the move to the SEC (you know, assuming these kinda ridiculous rumors actually come true)?

Let's be honest. That's the no. 1 factor going into these "negotiations" for lack of a better word.

Do we know what the bump up in revenue for WVU would be if they joined the SEC?

Not quite sure. I tried finding some information but the only thing I could find is that each SEC team is expected to receive $17 million this year from the TV contract of ESPN/CBS. That information however may not be accurate.

None the less they would most likely double total revenue.

Edited by beaverbaseball

I read an article that Florida would fight Florida State and South Carolina would fight Clemson and Georgia would fight Georgia Tech because of the recruiting edge they hold, so VT and WVU may get in because if they can’t get those schools, they will have to get someone.

From my perspective I think it would be a horrible move for us to make. The competition is far beyond what we are used to and we just don't have the recruiting power to compete year in and year out with the SEC. Yes, it's possible that both of those issues could change, however the risk greatly outweighs the benefits.

ACC: YES

SEC: NO

Just my thoughts...

If I were a VT fan I would be wanting to move to the SEC. I think once inside the SEC that VT would get the recruits. The comeptition year in and year out only makes you better. I realize VT would not dominate the SEC like they do the ACC but I think it would be a great move.

A&M rivals site already said Baylor signed off today. So if that is true looks like A&M is headed to SEC.

Oklahoma, Ok. st, Texas, and texas Tech will be next to the Pac 12. This year or next. After that Big 10 and ACC will have to act.

SEC still will not be done either. Big East looks to get raided in the end. But If Tech doesn't come to the SEC I don't know who the SEC would go after. Maybe NC state? Who knows. I think SEC may like WVU, Missouri, and VT to get to 16. But Tech?..... I don't think they will come. So who knows.....

It looks like new TV markets are what this is coming down to.

VT isn't going anywhere...they are in the ACC and will be there until there is no longer an ACC to be in...

If WVU were to go to the SEC, it will cost the University a pretty penny in upgrading ALL athletic facilities to SEC standards (yes, the SEC takes that into account...same could be said for VT to join the SEC). Also, WVU would have to add some sports teams to be considered for SEC membership...men's golf especially. In this time of poor economic conditions and already strained budgets, I don't see this happening (for either school)...

If/when the "super conference" idea comes to fruition, it will look like this...Pac 10/12/16 in the west, SEC in the south, Big 10/11/12/16 in the midwest/north, and a combo ACC/Big East football schools in the east.

When all is said and done, the Big 8/12 will no longer exist...surviving members will find homes in the west, south, and midwest/north. Some schools currently in the BCS conferences will not survive to be "super conference" schools and will be relegated to the "mid-major" conferences.

My $$$ has VT and WVU in the same conference after all this plays out...

VT isn't going anywhere...they are in the ACC and will be there until there is no longer an ACC to be in...

If WVU were to go to the SEC, it will cost the University a pretty penny in upgrading ALL athletic facilities to SEC standards (yes, the SEC takes that into account...same could be said for VT to join the SEC). Also, WVU would have to add some sports teams to be considered for SEC membership...men's golf especially. In this time of poor economic conditions and already strained budgets, I don't see this happening (for either school)...

If/when the "super conference" idea comes to fruition, it will look like this...Pac 10/12/16 in the west, SEC in the south, Big 10/11/12/16 in the midwest/north, and a combo ACC/Big East football schools in the east.

When all is said and done, the Big 8/12 will no longer exist...surviving members will find homes in the west, south, and midwest/north. Some schools currently in the BCS conferences will not survive to be "super conference" schools and will be relegated to the "mid-major" conferences.

My $$$ has VT and WVU in the same conference after all this plays out...

This.

So you wouldn't want Tech to play in the SEC? Why? I mean wouldn't you rather see UGA, FL, Bama, Auburn, LSU, UT, Arkansas, etc, etc, on that schedule every year?

I know if I were paying for tickets I would. But that is just me. Tech is going to do what they feel is best for them. That maybe staying in the ACC and it looks like that is the case. I understand the choice. But I think you are underestimating the benefits in the long run. I think it is the easy choice as far as football goes. But I think it is a mistake from looking from the outside. But alot of Tech people do feel the same.

Really wasn't what he said. He said Tech and WVU both wouldn't end up in the SEC. But IMO WVU has no chance of being in the ACC just looking at academics alone. You think Duke and UNC fussed about Tech. You haven't seen anything yet if WVU is up for a vote.

Really wasn't what he said. He said Tech and WVU both wouldn't end up in the SEC. But IMO WVU has no chance of being in the ACC just looking at academics alone. You think Duke and UNC fussed about Tech. You haven't seen anything yet if WVU is up for a vote.

Yeah, I suppose not. I didn't read closely enough. Trying to do to many things at one time over here lol

Question: Could there be a school of thought that the SEC would consider more of a basketball minded school? I'm thinking Maryland or NC State? Or do you guys think this is strictly about football?

SEC would love to have Duke and UNC. But there isn't a chance in you know what of that happening.

NC state IMO would be possibility when Tech says no. But I don't think they come either. Alot of ties to Duke and UNC in research triangle. I don't see it. Maryland was said to have been talking to Big 10 already. So who knows. They wouldn't really fit in the SEC IMO though.

It is going to be wild seeing how all this plays out. But I think once the Pac 12 moves on Big 12 it is only a matter of time. There is to much money out there on the table for it not to.

SEC would love to have Duke and UNC. But there isn't a chance in you know what of that happening.

NC state IMO would be possibility when Tech says no. But I don't think they come either. Alot of ties to Duke and UNC in research triangle. I don't see it. Maryland was said to have been talking to Big 10 already. So who knows. They wouldn't really fit in the SEC IMO though.

It is going to be wild seeing how all this plays out. But I think once the Pac 12 moves on Big 12 it is only a matter of time. There is to much money out there on the table for it not to.

The SEC would love to have UNC, but I dont think they would care a bit about having Duke, which means they dont have a chance of landing UNC. Besides, UNC and Duke isnt leaving the ACC when they basically control the conference as a whole.

I just asked this question in the other thread we have going about SEC expansion, but it's applicable to Tech and the rest of the schools listed here as well. How much more money would they make if they made the move to the SEC (you know, assuming these kinda ridiculous rumors actually come true)?

Let's be honest. That's the no. 1 factor going into these "negotiations" for lack of a better word.

This is EXACTLY the factor I said mattered most about 2 weeks ago on this topic, a position that was very unpopular with most here. I still think the SEC cares about money 1st and geography 2nd. I'm talking about "runner-up-to-Secretariat-in-the-Belmont" 2nd.

Missouri is the clear #1 to this question, and I don't really see how this is up for discussion. You get a share in the lucrative Kansas City + St. Louis markets, only two of the top 15 media markets in the entire nation. Yes, Missouri doesn't have the prestige, blah blah blah. Prestige DOES NOT EQUAL MONEY, HENCE IT DOES NOT MATTER. Not as much to you, VT4L, but the inevitable retort I always get on this subject. All prestige does is give you the bandwagon fans that latch onto a winning program, and all Missouri has to do is throw together a few 10-2 seasons, something it has done recently.

#2 is where the discussion gets interesting. I say Texas A&M is the best choice, but since the SEC has been very wishy-washy about its inclusion (university presidents voting against it, then the SEC board of governors voting for it), that's unlikely at best.

I put VT at the #3 choice. Since the Virginia media only cares about VT, something that drives me batty every day, the SEC would get that share plus a good share in the Washington D.C. market. Not too shabby. But given how much a stink the General Assembly raised when it forced VT into the ACC, moving to the SEC without UVA would be prohibited. At least, it damn better be. If the GA allows VT to leave without at least giving UVA the right of refusal (which it would probably exercise), I will never again reside in the state of Virginia, nor will I ever give another penny in revenue to the state of Virginia. I feel that strongly about it. I will not yoke myself to a governmental body that does not have the best interests of the whole state at heart.

Edited by UVAObserver

Question: Could there be a school of thought that the SEC would consider more of a basketball minded school? I'm thinking Maryland or NC State? Or do you guys think this is strictly about football?

Strictly football. There's about a 1% chance NC State would desert, and about a .00000000000001% chance Maryland would.

The SEC would love to have UNC, but I dont think they would care a bit about having Duke, which means they dont have a chance of landing UNC. Besides, UNC and Duke isnt leaving the ACC when they basically control the conference as a whole.

The SEC would never take Duke or UNC. Never.

I don't think N.C. State would leave the ACC unless the conference ceased to exist -- even more so than the degree to which this statement applies to Virginia Tech.

From a political and organizational standpoint, they're very tightly bound to UNC. In fact, they're a singular component of the overall UNC system (as are all public universities in the Old North State). Hard to imagine any scenario that would allow them to potentially harm Chapel Hill's conference in any way without some very serious repercussions.

There's also the issue of why they'd want to leave. There's really no reason to believe that N.C. State is anything less than perfectly happy in the ACC.