Youth Player Forbidden to Score

Hacker

This is already a rule in these parts. The league that Haysi, Grundy, Hurley, Ervinton, Rye Cove, Jonesville, Twin Springs and Central are in has a rule that, if your team goes up by 3 TD's then the first string runningbacks have to come out of the game. Same rule. I think it's stupid.

I hope you really dont believe that. I have never seen a varsity player at any level that thinks he shouldnt score when he is dominating the opponent. In basketball you will have guys that sre reluctant to shoot.

Some coaches in youth leagues will give the ball to their "star" almost every down, how exactly does that develop the other RBs or the QB, and WRs? Other than blocking of course.

Im pretty sure Graham ran alot of Wishbone when Bradshaw was there, so im assuming there was another RB and a FB in the backfield with him and that they occasionally carried the ball also. So lets say in LL and JV that the coach only gave the ball to Bradshaw, would the other backs be as developed by the time they were in Varsity? In a revesral of youre earlier arguement they would think "we cant run the ball, thats Ahmads job were just blockers".

As far as everyone getting to play, is freaking little league! As long as they all come to practice then for the most part they should get to be on the field some, they have earned that right. The same concept applies to a senior who has worked since JV and still isint good enuf to start, he/she should still be in the rotation or ableto get on the field some.

no you dont because in the majority of places kids play and are allowed to score. what i am saying is over time if you take a kid and tell him you can only score 20 points and push that point day after day they as young people can come to believe this philosophy. brainwash if you choose to call it that. all i think is you let the kid play and if he scores 30 points then it is up to the other team to stop him because you cannot say every kid on a team is able to score 20 points in games.if a kid wants to play any sport then he or she needs to put in the work to improve. there are a few kids with natural talent that can do amazing things and they should not be throtled and kept from doing what god gave them the talent to do.

Little league had try outs and you had to earn the right to play. Now as long as you pay your $25, you get equal playing time. Funny, the kids that didn't make little league ended up playing in someone's back yard.

What about the kid that is really good and the parents can afford to pay the $25 but can't afford AAU and traveling expense. Should that kid be punished and not allowed to play to his/her fullest potential in his 8 minutes of play time?

You should never tell a kid to stop doing their best! That is ridiculous. Some kids are better athletes and yes, when they get older they will earn the spots on the high school team. But somewhere along the way, rec leagues took away the feeling of excelling and replaced it with reinforcing kids that aren't good at sports self esteem. You just set kids up for disappointment when you don't let them see some kids are better than them.

It's like telling an average or below student they "have to go to college" to make a living. What about mechanics, carpenters, etc. We need those people too and they don't have to have a college degree to serve you.

agree with this you tell kids that are not able to play football for instance that you are good and can play to increase their selfesteme you are setting them up in the future for failure because they will have always been told you are just as good as little johnny over there but in reality he is nowhere close to him. kids are not learing how to deal with disapointment anymore they feel everything should be handed to them if they are not good enough to do the job. that they deserve the job or what ever because they showed up. i see it every day in my job.

I rarely leave posts on here anymore but this makes me sick enough to put my 2 cents worth in. Prime example of whats wrong with this generation of kids. This kid is just a better football player, so the other kids need to improve, instead of bringing him down to their level. Making them play up to his level will be much more beneficial to them in the long run. Whoever started this whole "every kid gets a trophy" mentality that we have today is an idiot. Whatever happened to being dedicated and working harder to get better? No wonder that most kids today have a false sense of entitlment. They have everything given to them instead of earning it. Which brings me to my opinion on why numbers are down at most high schools in our area. For many kids, varsity football is the first time in their life they've ever had to commit to something, to devote hours and hours of hard work into something in order to be successful. After years and years of having everything given to them, many either A) Quit or B) Dont even give it a try.

If football was easy, every school would have 100+ players out, but its not. It takes a strong work ethic and desire. It takes a year round committment unlike any other sport and takes a special bunch of kids to do things the right way.

1 last thing I wanted to add is that the coaches on this kids team should not take advantage of the kids skills. It's a youth league coaches job to work with every kid and improve their skills. Skill development is much more important than wins/losses at that level. If the coaches were getting the ball to him every play and not playing "team" ball then the coaches should be disciplined or replaced but the kid shouldnt be restricted.