Youth Player Forbidden to Score

Hacker

He should be playing in a higher division.

It does him no good to dominate lesser opponents and does his teammates no good to watch him run up and down the field.

Edited by redtiger

Bull$hit!!! That's as bad as the "No Child Left Behind" law. You're only telling this child that it isn't good to do his best...

Just another example why America has "slipped" over the years...

With the 12 and 13 year olds.

Anything below Varsity should be for development only, would he really be developing any by beating up on lesser competition?

If he was just a little better than those he is playing w/ then no its wrong, but he is alot better. Move him up and let him play w/ kids on his level.

Its alot different than No Child Left Behind, that is one of the most ridiculously ignorant and useless pieces of legislation ever levied. A complete waste of time and money that does nothing but be a pain in everyones ass!

Edited by redtiger

7 Tds in 2 games isint that bad. I would like to know how long his scores were. If he is just the focal point of the offense then the rule is wrong but if the scores are like 60 or 70 yards apiece then he needs to be moved up imo

7 Tds in 2 games isint that bad. I would like to know how long his scores were. If he is just the focal point of the offense then the rule is wrong but if the scores are like 60 or 70 yards apiece then he needs to be moved up imo

Then you risk putting him up against bigger players, where injuries could be an issue. I say let him play where he is, as much as he wants to. Why punish him for being a great player?

I dont think playing w/ kids 1-2 years older is gonna put him at any greater risk of injury. Its not about punishing him, its about developing kids for the future. I really dont care about the feelings of the players on the teams he scored against, I really dont. They need to learn that some people are more talented than them. I think its in his best interest to move up.

All of that said, I dont like the rule limiting his TDs and before I would raise a big fuss over it I would just let him play where he is.

Edited by redtiger

Bull$hit!!! That's as bad as the "No Child Left Behind" law. You're only telling this child that it isn't good to do his best...

Agree....on both points.

Otherwise, we should all just let everybody win and all games should end in ties....

^^^This^^^. What a crock of crap.

I agree also ! If they move him up with bigger kids then as stated before you have the risk of injury to him. It's not like he is so much bigger than the other kids he is playing against and may hurt someone. He's just that much more skilled. Let the kid play !

He seems like a good kid too !

I dont think playing w/ kids 1-2 years older is gonna put him at any greater risk of injury. Its not about punishing him, its about developing kids for the future. I really dont care about the feelings of the players on the teams he scored against, I really dont. They need to learn that some people are more talented than them. I think its in his best interest to move up.

All of that said, I dont like the rule limiting his TDs and before I would raise a big fuss over it I would just let him play where he is.

Don't most youth leagues, save Pop Warner which uses weight as their measure, have rules setting a minimum age for players?

Grundy had a version of this they called the Garon Marcum Rule...lol...he would have 4 TD's and 200+ yards on 8 carries and get benched....pissed me off.

I'd let the kid do what he can do...if you don't like it, figure out a way to stop him...that's what the game has always been about.

If it's a youth league, wouldn't every player have to pay to play? If that's the case, then everyone gets to play and do their best no matter what. I've been involved in little league and other things enough to know that rule.

My son plays in the Cumberland Diamond League and our age limits are as follows, 5-7year old, 8-10year old, and 11-13 year old. Grundy,Haysi,Hurley and Ervington are in our division and we must have birth certificates available for each game. August 1st is the age deadline, say this boy in question was 10 on Aug 1st. when the season officially begins, he could play on the 8-10 year old team but if he was 11 before Aug. 1st he would have to move to the next level. Yes, if this kid turned 11 after Aug. 1st, he can play on the 8-10 year old group.

I know there is a lot of different rules for each league, we are not allowed to blitz,no more than a 6 man line, no punting,kickoffs etc. and we do have weight limits for anybody that handles the ball. The class that my son plays in is 125lbs. and if someone over this weight limit recovers a fumble he can't advance the ball.

Don't you just love watered down football.

Edited by thevols

I no it's not the same sport but radford rec basketball has scoring limits for all age groups i know that the 7th graders can only score 20 points and then they are out of the game. Is it fair maybe not, but won the state last year with no one averaging 20 a game, builds all players not just letting one player to dominate

I no it's not the same sport but radford rec basketball has scoring limits for all age groups i know that the 7th graders can only score 20 points and then they are out of the game. Is it fair maybe not, but won the state last year with no one averaging 20 a game, builds all players not just letting one player to dominate

yes and when the kids get into highschool the one kid who may have been head and shoulders above the rest will have the mind set i can only score 20 points and then stop trying to score and he may be the one player who at the end of a game could hit the winning shot and win but wont because he thinks i have scored 20 so now it is up to someone else to score. it does not build up all kids because some kids are not meant to play basketball football baseball or any sport or even cheerleaders. you diminish the entire team by limiting what a kid can do. just imagine if bradshaw had been told you can only score so many times or play so long in a game in little league he may not have become as good as he is now.why should any kid work hard to make a team if he or she knows all they have to do is show up and they will play even if they do not put in the effort to get better they willl play. not good

The Radford rule for hoops makes sense to me. First of all, scoring 20 points in 8 minute quarters is tough. Second, youth basketball is designed to provide recreation for all kids, no matter the skill. Third, if you give many players the chance to build skills then your teams in later years have more options.

Heck if all they are concerned about is how many points they score let the be on an AAU team, where everyone is looking to score and has forgotten it is a team sport.

yes and when the kids get into highschool the one kid who may have been head and shoulders above the rest will have the mind set i can only score 20 points and then stop trying to score and he may be the one player who at the end of a game could hit the winning shot and win but wont because he thinks i have scored 20 so now it is up to someone else to score.

it does not build up all kids because some kids are not meant to play basketball football baseball or any sport or even cheerleaders. you diminish the entire team by limiting what a kid can do.

just imagine if bradshaw had been told you can only score so many times or play so long in a game in little league he may not have become as good as he is now.why should any kid work hard to make a team if he or she knows all they have to do is show up and they will play even if they do not put in the effort to get better they willl play. not good

I hope you really dont believe that. I have never seen a varsity player at any level that thinks he shouldnt score when he is dominating the opponent. In basketball you will have guys that sre reluctant to shoot.

Some coaches in youth leagues will give the ball to their "star" almost every down, how exactly does that develop the other RBs or the QB, and WRs? Other than blocking of course.

Im pretty sure Graham ran alot of Wishbone when Bradshaw was there, so im assuming there was another RB and a FB in the backfield with him and that they occasionally carried the ball also. So lets say in LL and JV that the coach only gave the ball to Bradshaw, would the other backs be as developed by the time they were in Varsity? In a revesral of youre earlier arguement they would think "we cant run the ball, thats Ahmads job were just blockers".

As far as everyone getting to play, is freaking little league! As long as they all come to practice then for the most part they should get to be on the field some, they have earned that right. The same concept applies to a senior who has worked since JV and still isint good enuf to start, he/she should still be in the rotation or ableto get on the field some.

The Radford rule for hoops makes sense to me. First of all, scoring 20 points in 8 minute quarters is tough. Second, youth basketball is designed to provide recreation for all kids, no matter the skill. Third, if you give many players the chance to build skills then your teams in later years have more options.

Heck if all they are concerned about is how many points they score let the be on an AAU team, where everyone is looking to score and has forgotten it is a team sport.

agree 100%

Little league had try outs and you had to earn the right to play. Now as long as you pay your $25, you get equal playing time. Funny, the kids that didn't make little league ended up playing in someone's back yard.

What about the kid that is really good and the parents can afford to pay the $25 but can't afford AAU and traveling expense. Should that kid be punished and not allowed to play to his/her fullest potential in his 8 minutes of play time?

You should never tell a kid to stop doing their best! That is ridiculous. Some kids are better athletes and yes, when they get older they will earn the spots on the high school team. But somewhere along the way, rec leagues took away the feeling of excelling and replaced it with reinforcing kids that aren't good at sports self esteem. You just set kids up for disappointment when you don't let them see some kids are better than them.

It's like telling an average or below student they "have to go to college" to make a living. What about mechanics, carpenters, etc. We need those people too and they don't have to have a college degree to serve you.

I dont understand the concept of LL tryouts. I would rather have 100 kids in the LL program, put together balanced teams and let the best make the JV team in a few years than tell 50 they arent good enough and to try another sport.

Kids develop at different speeds/times in their lives, LL is no time to decide who is and who isint going to be a good athlete.

If youth(below high school) sports arent about the kids learning something, enjoying themselves and building their self esteem then I for one dont ever want to be involved. Hell, thats what high school sports is supposed to be about too

Edited by redtiger