E&H Needs New "SWVA" Blood

robtom

I think it is time for E&H to start a search for a new Head Football Coach. Emory has got away from recruiting SWVA HS football players. A lot of players from outside of our area. Montgomery does not think SWVA has enough talented HS players for his team. In fact, all he talks about is what he did at Mt. Union. Maybe he should research rosters from The Wacker Era and see why he was so successful. JMO

Ive always thought it would be good if these smaller colleges like Emory,wise,Bluefield etc,were only allowed to recruit in a specific amount of surrounding counties.I think more interest would be showed if local boys were playin.

I think it is time for E&H to start a search for a new Head Football Coach. Emory has got away from recruiting SWVA HS football players. A lot of players from outside of our area. Montgomery does not think SWVA has enough talented HS players for his team. In fact, all he talks about is what he did at Mt. Union. Maybe he should research rosters from The Wacker Era and see why he was so successful. JMO

He got Devon Sproles from J.J.Kelly and Joesph Vaughn from Gate City

You would think that by now E&H would know to just go pick up Richlands SR's on a bus and haul them over to the campus as soon as they graduate. I've noticed a lot are going to other programs in the area these days...and doing well.

They do. Im afraid that as the program grows their recruiting will move away from SWVA/SWV.

I hate the fact that UVA-W is so obsessed w/ being UVA west. It really pisses me off. What is so wrong w/ being SWVAs college?

They do. Im afraid that as the program grows their recruiting will move away from SWVA/SWV.

I hate the fact that UVA-W is so obsessed w/ being UVA west. It really pisses me off. What is so wrong w/ being SWVAs college?

they have kids from around here...Grundy's QB from last year (Kelly) is there right now...and I talked to Berglowe the other day and he said he was going to go to Wise or E&H next year.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what you are talking about. They always have several local guys on the roster. How exactly are they trying to be UVA west, other than UVA is in thier name?

It would be absurd to expect them to recruit exclusively in SWVA. They would never be able to compete within their divisions. That is no offense to the local talent, but all of these small, local colleges fishing out of the same, small pond they would never be able to fill an entire roster with enough talent to compete every year.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what you are talking about. They always have several local guys on the roster. How exactly are they trying to be UVA west, other than UVA is in thier name?

It would be absurd to expect them to recruit exclusively in SWVA. They would never be able to compete within their divisions. That is no offense to the local talent, but all of these small, local colleges fishing out of the same, small pond they would never be able to fill an entire roster with enough talent to compete every year.

Yeah, this...

I know that it just isint possible to recruit exclusively from SWVA but the recruiting seems to be focused on Central VA,NOVA and the coast then on SWVA. UVA-W keeps trying to make connections to UVA (such as changing the colleges name and being the Highland Cavaliers) and no offense to UVA(a school to be proud of) but CVC was founded as the college for far western VA, now its moving toward trying to be a branch of UVA and it just isint. I personally dont like it. E&H stands on their own and doesent try to justify themselves by trying to make connections to another school.

How many kids from local High Schools that can really play dont even get recruited by UVA-W? I would be willing to bet that Bluefield has signed more SWVA kids in the past year than UVA-W has in the past 5. Now I know they are just getting started and want to build a solid, local base but still.

The school really isint Clinch Valley but it sure as hell isint Virginia-Wise either.

Maybe my pov is just a little off

Edited by redtiger

CVC was founded as the college for far western VA, now its moving toward trying to be a branch of UVA and it just isint.

Actually it is. In fact, it is the only branch institution of the University of Virginia. UVA-Wise has always been affiliated with UVA, since 1954 when it was founded.

http://www.uvawise.edu/about/HeritageAndMission

If you are the only branch of the University of Virginia, a very prestigious university, why wouldn't you use it to your advantage by having your name reflect it?

UVA-Wise is growing and becoming a fantastic institution, IMO. What's wrong with expanding and bringing in students from other parts of the state and country? Sure they could remain a college for only far Western Virginia, but they would remain very small and would probably not be able to offer as much to the students that are from SWVA.

E&H stands on their own and doesent try to justify themselves by trying to make connections to another school.

Of course, they are a private school that has no affiliation with any other schools. However, if you want to be technical, they do not stand on their own and are tied to a bigger institution...The United Methodist Church.

Maybe my pov is just a little off

I think it is.

Edited by BigBlueAlum

UVA-W may be the only branch of UVA but im pretty sure no one in Charlottesville sees it that way(im pretty sure most dont even know it exists). And from the begining it was only loosely affiliated, now its almost portrayed as if Thomas Jefferson himself wanted a College in Wise. Dont kid yourself by thinking UVA-W is in any way really affiliated w/ UVA and to say it is is a sham.

Beacuse being affiliated w/ UVA is not really being a part of UVA, arent and never are gonna be anything like UVA. If a student wants to go to UVA, then they should go to UVA. If they cant do UVA then go to Richmond, W&M, George Mason, ODU, JMU or whatever school.

I will agree that they are becoming a bigger school and that allows alot more to be offered; the convocation center will be incredible, the Football failities are really nice, more variety of classes, more money for better facilities, etc. There are alot of things that are really good that come along w/ becoming a larger institution.

God I sound like those anti-consolidation nutjobs and thats really not what I mean. CVC was founded for the benefit of far SWVA and the college is moving away from that, and I dont like it. Nor do I feel that it is the right move. I think the college should focus on providing the best education for students from SWVA, not for maxamizing the potiental of the college. I just feel the college has lost sight of its purpose, its reason for existing.

My nephew is on the Bluefield Rams team and there is several other local kids on the team. Honaker,Richlands,Galax,George Wythe,Hurley(nephew) are just a few of the schools from SWVA that have former players on the Bluefield team.

The tuition at colleges have got so high at our local colleges, UVA-Wise,Emory, and Bluefield, that kids have a harder time paying for education without some assistance. I know my nephew made trips to Emory,UVA-Wise, and to Bluefield while being recruited and Bluefield offered him 4 times more money for his tuition than UVA-Wise and of course Emory can't offer nothing because of being a D3 school. I do know for a fact that out of state athletes get more money for tuition than local SWVA athletes. Why, I don't know.

Go check out the Rams by the way, they have some pretty good talent and the local boys will probably being playing a lot next year.

Go Rams!!!!!!

My nephew is on the Bluefield Rams team and there is several other local kids on the team. Honaker,Richlands,Galax,George Wythe,Hurley(nephew) are just a few of the schools from SWVA that have former players on the Bluefield team.

The tuition at colleges have got so high at our local colleges, UVA-Wise,Emory, and Bluefield, that kids have a harder time paying for education without some assistance. I know my nephew made trips to Emory,UVA-Wise, and to Bluefield while being recruited and Bluefield offered him 4 times more money for his tuition than UVA-Wise and of course Emory can't offer nothing because of being a D3 school. I do know for a fact that out of state athletes get more money for tuition than local SWVA athletes. Why, I don't know.

Go check out the Rams by the way, they have some pretty good talent and the local boys will probably being playing a lot next year.

Go Rams!!!!!!

I'd guess out of state kids pay out of state tuition which is 2x higher than in state kids pay...but, i may be wrong?

I'd guess out of state kids pay out of state tuition which is 2x higher than in state kids pay...but, i may be wrong?

I guess that could be the reason, but almost $19,000 a year is still a lot of money for in state.

UVA-W may be the only branch of UVA but im pretty sure no one in Charlottesville sees it that way(im pretty sure most dont even know it exists).

Why should this matter? Who cares if anyone in Charlottesville knows that UVA-Wise exists? This is beside the fact that your statement isn't even true. The President of UVA visited campus just last year (http://home.uvawise.edu/highlandcavalier/?p=383), as did her predecessor (Casteen) a few years before.

And from the begining it was only loosely affiliated, now its almost portrayed as if Thomas Jefferson himself wanted a College in Wise. Dont kid yourself by thinking UVA-W is in any way really affiliated w/ UVA and to say it is is a sham.

Beacuse being affiliated w/ UVA is not really being a part of UVA, arent and never are gonna be anything like UVA. If a student wants to go to UVA, then they should go to UVA. If they cant do UVA then go to Richmond, W&M, George Mason, ODU, JMU or whatever school.

No one is saying that UVA-Wise=UVA. That would be ridiculous. Why would a student dismiss UVA-Wise if they can't get into UVA? You act like any school in the state of Virginia would be a better option than Wise. There are many thing that students look at when picking a college. Size, location, athletics, price, and programs of study all come into play...not just the name on the sign out front. I can tell you that UVA-Wise has a top notch science program that is known for its rigor and is highly recommended for pre-med, pre-pharm, and pre-PT students, or any pre-professional student. Also, UVA-Wise annually ranks #1 on the list of public liberal arts colleges whose students graduate with a low debt load (http://www.wise.virginia.edu/News/UVa-Wise-students-earn-degrees-least-debt-among-public-liberal-arts-colleges). This is a reflection of the financial aid office, and the amount of scholarships that are awarded every year...not just to athletes, but to all students. I will also add that UVA-Wise is among the cheapest college to attend in Virginia. Their tuition is 3rd lowest among Virginia state supported 4-year colleges and universities (http://www.schev.edu/Reportstats/2011TuitionFeesReport.pdf).

Your disdain for UVA-Wise is obvious, but your reasoning is absurd. You have no facts to back up anything that you say.

I will agree that they are becoming a bigger school and that allows alot more to be offered; the convocation center will be incredible, the Football failities are really nice, more variety of classes, more money for better facilities, etc. There are alot of things that are really good that come along w/ becoming a larger institution.

God I sound like those anti-consolidation nutjobs and thats really not what I mean. CVC was founded for the benefit of far SWVA and the college is moving away from that, and I dont like it. Nor do I feel that it is the right move. I think the college should focus on providing the best education for students from SWVA, not for maxamizing the potiental of the college. I just feel the college has lost sight of its purpose, its reason for existing.

Let me get this straight. You agree that being a bigger institution has its benefits, and it ultimately benefits local students that attend the school. You also think that the college should focus on "providing the best education for students from SWVA". However, you do realize that if they focus only on the surrounding area, then they would not be able to expand and offer all of these things to local students, right? Besides, they are a state supported school. This means they receive a lot of money from the entire state, not just Wise County or Southwest Virginia. Why shouldn't they recruit students from the entire state?

Also, just for clarification. I quickly counted the number of players on UVA-Wise roster that are from this side of Roanoke and I counted 22, and that is only counting players from towns that I recognized as being in SWVA...I may of missed a few. If I included those from the Roanoke area, it would be well over 30. Not the handful that you portray it to be. BC doesn't have a roster listed online, so I'm not sure how many locals they have, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was higher...since they are just getting their program started. However, I did find this article about a kid from Florida signing to play for them this year. http://www.bluefield.edu/article/former-cane-dixon-signs-with-bc/

Edited by BigBlueAlum

I guess that could be the reason, but almost $19,000 a year is still a lot of money for in state.

Bluefield College is in the state of Virginia; however, it is not an "in-state" school. It is a private, christian school, therefore, tuition is the same for in-state and out of state student...it is just higher for everyone. However, $19000 is on the lower end of the scale for private colleges, usually you are looking at $20-25,000 at a minimum.

I would really like to see UVA-W, E&H, Bfld recruit more local players. Bluefield has so far and I hope they keep it up

Bluefield has a LONG way to go.

Bluefield won't be very competitive in the Conference they are joining with what they have on their roster now...

Bluefield won't be very competitive in the Conference they are joining with what they have on their roster now...

no, but they are just starting out...i think in a few years and once they get a full slate of games going and have time to recruit and get the program established, i think they will be ok....you are talking 4 or 5 years though.

Thing, I think a lot of people don't see is UVA-Wise and Emory do recruit SWVA kids, however, they get to college see that this is not high school and it is more like a job and quit before roster's are released etc. Look at the high school you root for and think of some of the latest good players from there, how many said they were going, talked about going, then went and came home. I can name quite a few.

Thing, I think a lot of people don't see is UVA-Wise and Emory do recruit SWVA kids, however, they get to college see that this is not high school and it is more like a job and quit before roster's are released etc. Look at the high school you root for and think of some of the latest good players from there, how many said they were going, talked about going, then went and came home. I can name quite a few.

Very good point. I know several that have done this, myself.

Coach M... has done a great job at emory. When Wacker left, Emory was loaded with players from the Hoggee Higgie Distrist and what happen from 2002 - 2006 very slim years. When Emory was winning the ODAC Wackers foundation was poured in Richmond. I don't know how Wacker did it, but he brought in some good talent from Northern Virginia. The simple fact is speed. The difference between D1 and D3 is size and speed. Va Tech might have a RB that is 230 and runs a 4.3 forty. D3 will have a running back that is 180 and runs a 4.5 forty. There is not many kids that run leget 4.5 in SWVA. Jennings was a special player for Emory, and I'm sure if they were a Caleb Jennings type player around here Coach M would go after them.

If Montgomery had beat Wise, and was 5 -1 right now this thread would not even be on here. His offense is fun to watch and he has adapted his brand of football to the players he has on his roster. Yeah, he should have got out of the gun the other day against Syndney in the red zone but he didn't. You stand on the side lines and you make the decisions, its not as easy as you think.

I'm sure Dewey will turn things around at Wise the next few years, and I'm sure he will not do it with just SWVA kids. He will do it with D-1 drop outs and Ju-co transfers, yeah he will bring in SWVA kids to fill the roster but look on the field and see how many start on the 1st team.

Bluefield will bring in SWVA kids for the first few years to pay the bills and get the football start. Yes some SWVA kids will help build the program. They have already brought in some good offensive linemen from the area. But if they are going to bring in game changers and game breakers they are not going to come from SWVA. If a player around here is good enough, bigger schools will grab them. So I guess all three schools, Emory, Wise , and bluefield will always recruit other areas for speed.