Pulaski clinches playoff berth at 1-8...

futbolking

Nope... it was Jonesville H.S., not Pennington. ... fall of 1988.

... but you are right about the 5-5 regular season.

Youre right. I always get those two mixed up.

It would really make a good story for a movie; small school expected to have a good season in their final year of existance struggles through the season and limps into the playoffs. Then goes on to be the underdogs in every game only to struggle through and win it all! Great story

Nope... it was Jonesville H.S., not Pennington. ... fall of 1988.

... but you are right about the 5-5 regular season.

Jonesville won state in 1989. The same year four state champs came from Southwest Virginia .... Jonesville D1, Powell Valley D2, Graham D3, and Blacksburg D4. The same year Graham beat Blacksburg in the regular season.

Jonesville won state in 1989. The same year four state champs came from Southwest Virginia .... Jonesville D1, Powell Valley D2, Graham D3, and Blacksburg D4. The same year Graham beat Blacksburg in the regular season.

check this out:

http://www2.tricities.com/sports/2009/sep/03/football_jonesville_bulldogs_were_ultimate_underdo-ar-241823/

Youre right. I always get those two mixed up.

It would really make a good story for a movie; small school expected to have a good season in their final year of existance struggles through the season and limps into the playoffs. Then goes on to be the underdogs in every game only to struggle through and win it all! Great story

yep.. and the writer of this article agrees with you.

http://www2.tricities.com/sports/2009/sep/03/football_jonesville_bulldogs_were_ultimate_underdo-ar-241823/

I was in attendance for both Jonesville/Rye Cove matchups that year. RC won at Jonesville around week 8 or so 14-13 I think. In the regional final it had poured the rain late in that week and the field was nothing but mud. Yeary scored on the run on Jonesville first drive. Tony Estep returned the kickoff all the way to the 5 before being stopped. RC would get no closer the rest of the day. Jonesville couldn't move the ball, and played bend but don't break defense. RC got into the red zone quite a few times but never punched it in.

One of the players on the Jonesville team was one of my baseball coaches. Said they went into the lockerroom at the half and showered off in their jerseys so they could tell who was who for a little while.

Pennington was the odds on favorite. Jonesville was solid, but Rye Cove was the clear number two team. RC was the only team to give Pennington a game in the regular season. I can't remember if it was failed 2 point conversion that cost RC a chance to tie, or if Pennington was down one and kicked a FG to win in second half to win 16-14.

As bad of a reputation the CD has had as a football district, before the consolidation of Lee County, football was pretty strong in the CD. Pennington was always tough. J'ville, and RC were generally pretty good, and Twin Springs had some good teams as well. In that final season Jonesville won the title as the 4 seed in Region D. Appy 1, RC 2, TS 3. Pennington lost in the semis to Drewry Mason 13-10. Pennington has a pretty good football history site if you are interested.

http://www.penningtonhighschool.com/

So they were expected to be average? That makes the season even more impressive!

Definately interested! I really like local school/sports history.

Who were the teams in the old Cumberland District? From the begining?

I know St. Paul was a recent addition(BDD), as was Castlewood(HOGO). Ervinton was in the LPD at one time but im not sure on the time frame.

Edited by redtiger

St. Paul came in around 89 to the best of my memory with the the formation of Lee High. Ervinton came to the Cumberland around 85. Castlewood in 96. Before that you had RC, Twin Springs around 77, Pennington, Jonesville, Thomas Walker, Flatwoods, Dryden, and Keokee. The last three didn't participate in football. I am not sure if the Cumberland was around when St. Charles was open or not, but I dont think so.