Castlewood @ Galax

Lance

pretty good game tonight...will have pics up shortly for those who want to see them.

Scammell's bunch came to play and were up 8-7 at the end of the 1st...then things sort of went south...but they kept playing hard...lot of heart for those guys.

There was an intentional grounding called in the end zone that I thought was kinda crappy to call...that game Galax a safety and swung the game in their favor and they never really looked back after that...2 points put them up 9 to 8 and then they got the ball back on a kick from the 20 with a short field and went up 16 to 8...it was a 9 point quick swing in the score and just seemed to be the start of bad things for Castlewood which was playing very well up until that happened.

96+ yard INT returned for a TD with 8 seconds left in the 1st half made it 33-16 and it never got any closer.

I also thought it was sort of crappy that Galax not only kept the starters in up 53-24, but that they also were throwing the ball and trying to score at that point with 3 min left in the game...ended up getting the score with 1:16 left in the game to go up 60-24...I didn't really see the point in doing that...one you risk injury to a starter you probably need for next weeks game, and two...show some class...you had the game wrapped up and could have just run the clock out, instead you just had to stick it in to get to 60 points. I can't imagine someone like Richlands and Mance pulling that, and they could easily do so week in and week out if they chose to do so...but, they have class. It's one thing for the JV kids to get in at the end of a game and want to score, hard to expect anything else...but when you have your starters in doing that sort of thing...just makes you look bad in my opinion.

pretty good game tonight...will have pics up shortly for those who want to see them.

Scammell's bunch came to play and were up 8-7 at the end of the 1st...then things sort of went south...but they kept playing hard...lot of heart for those guys.

There was an intentional grounding called in the end zone that I thought was kinda crappy to call...that game Galax a safety and swung the game in their favor and they never really looked back after that...2 points put them up 9 to 8 and then they got the ball back on a kick from the 20 with a short field and went up 16 to 8...it was a 9 point quick swing in the score and just seemed to be the start of bad things for Castlewood which was playing very well up until that happened.

96+ yard INT returned for a TD with 8 seconds left in the 1st half made it 33-16 and it never got any closer.

I also thought it was sort of crappy that Galax not only kept the starters in up 53-24, but that they also were throwing the ball and trying to score at that point with 3 min left in the game...ended up getting the score with 1:16 left in the game to go up 60-24...I didn't really see the point in doing that...one you risk injury to a starter you probably need for next weeks game, and two...show some class...you had the game wrapped up and could have just run the clock out, instead you just had to stick it in to get to 60 points. I can't imagine someone like Richlands and Mance pulling that, and they could easily do so week in and week out if they chose to do so...but, they have class. It's one thing for the JV kids to get in at the end of a game and want to score, hard to expect anything else...but when you have your starters in doing that sort of thing...just makes you look bad in my opinion.

Coach Mullins of Clintwood pulled his starters out in the second quarter after going up 35 - 0 on Eastside last week... they could have put up 70+points but the guy has class ... what goes around comes around in football..

Coach Mullins of Clintwood pulled his starters out in the second quarter after going up 35 - 0 on Eastside last week... they could have put up 70+points but the guy has class ... what goes around comes around in football..

Galax will be dealing with the same treatment that Poston and his boys are dealing with at East Mont after this bunch leaves. You'd think that a school that struggled in football for years would have the good sense to know that this little run of athletes will cycle out again soon and the cupboard will be bare. You can bet the others won't forget it

Was it late in the game when one of their players go ejected and will have to miss the next two weeks?

Also, what was the deal with the IG call? I assume he just heaved it out of bounds with no one around?

Was it late in the game when one of their players go ejected and will have to miss the next two weeks?

Also, what was the deal with the IG call? I assume he just heaved it out of bounds with no one around?

I am an official and thought the grounding call was justified. Not trying to argue the point but I would have called it. He had all day to throw as Galax fell back in coverage with it being 3rd and about 14 from the Castlewood 7 yard line. The QB had nowhere to go with the ball and was still inside the tackle box and just threw the ball to about the 10 yard line from the back of the endzone to the flat with nobody within 25 yards of the area.

Stephen Peoples was the player ejected with about 6 minutes left in the game. He has loads of talent, maybe even division 1 talent but can't control his anger. He way I understand the rule, the ejection is for 2 games but that includes the current game you are being ejected from.

As for leaving starters in, Castlewoods coach pulled a stunt by showing up with all blue uniforms and the referees forced Galax to go into the locker room to change from all maroon home unis to all white so they deserved the beatdown they got.

I think for a guy who is suppose to be an official with an unbias opinion you sure made a crappy statement about a bunch of high school kids.

"As for leaving starters in, Castlewoods coach pulled a stunt by showing up with all blue uniforms and the referees forced Galax to go into the locker room to change from all maroon home unis to all white so they deserved the beatdown they got."

I think for a guy who is suppose to be an official with an unbias opinion you sure made a crappy statement about a bunch of high school kids.

"As for leaving starters in, Castlewoods coach pulled a stunt by showing up with all blue uniforms and the referees forced Galax to go into the locker room to change from all maroon home unis to all white so they deserved the beatdown they got."

That's my opinion and you obviously have your's. IMO, the coaching staff at Castlewood chose to come two and a half hours knowing they had their home uniforms. It was a childish move meant to get under the skin of the Galax players and coaches. The fact that I officiated at one point in my life has no bias on my opinion of another person or group of people.

Does one team have to wear white? Haysi for several years wore red almost every game, I think it was 01 we did wear red every game.

The coach has to put pride aside, show some class. No need to embarass the players because you are offended

That's my opinion and you obviously have your's. IMO, the coaching staff at Castlewood chose to come two and a half hours knowing they had their home uniforms. It was a childish move meant to get under the skin of the Galax players and coaches. The fact that I officiated at one point in my life has no bias on my opinion of another person or group of people.

I don't care if Castlewood showed up wearing all Maroon with propellers on their helmets, running up the score is immature and risks your own players health. For all the recent years Galax was garbage and got the score ran up on them, you would think they would know better.

Does one team have to wear white? Haysi for several years wore red almost every game, I think it was 01 we did wear red every game.

The coach has to put pride aside, show some class. No need to embarass the players because you are offended

Didn't they wear all red this year at Hurley? I know for some reason Hurley plays better in the white uniforms than in the all blue or all red.

I don't care if Castlewood showed up wearing all Maroon with propellers on their helmets, running up the score is immature and risks your own players health. For all the recent years Galax was garbage and got the score ran up on them, you would think they would know better.

That is my point. I am sick of reading about this group running up the score from people who read a box score and never see a game. The simple fact is, Galax's forth string TB has over 650 yards and 7 TD's, third stringer has almost 900 yards and 8 TD's. The backup QB's (both of them) have played extensive minutes. People also need to realize, they only have 23 players on varsity. They don't have enough to make wholesale substitutions. If you read newspaper interviews, coach Dixon has always said he wishes he had more kids to help keep scores down.

This group of seniors deserve credit. They are 21-4 in football and have only lost 2 games in basketball in 2 seasons including a state championship last season. This group of senior golfers won 3 state titles in 4 years. The senior volleyball girls have gone to the state tournament each of the past 2 seasons. The cross country team placed in state for the 19th time in 19 years. Give them credit, no matter what you think of the coaches, me or anyone else who supports this community.

That is my point. I am sick of reading about this group running up the score from people who read a box score and never see a game. The simple fact is, Galax's forth string TB has over 650 yards and 7 TD's, third stringer has almost 900 yards and 8 TD's. The backup QB's (both of them) have played extensive minutes. People also need to realize, they only have 23 players on varsity. They don't have enough to make wholesale substitutions. If you read newspaper interviews, coach Dixon has always said he wishes he had more kids to help keep scores down.

This group of seniors deserve credit. They are 21-4 in football and have only lost 2 games in basketball in 2 seasons including a state championship last season. This group of senior golfers won 3 state titles in 4 years. The senior volleyball girls have gone to the state tournament each of the past 2 seasons. The cross country team placed in state for the 19th time in 19 years. Give them credit, no matter what you think of the coaches, me or anyone else who supports this community.

Yay!

Don't run up the score.

Not necessarily white, but light colored jerseys. Although its always been suggested, and coaches generally have talked in the past to make sure jersey issues didn't happen before a game they adjusted the rule last year to read as this:

Rule 1 Section 5 Article 1 Part B Section 5: Through 2011, players of the opposing team shall wear jerseys of contrasting colors. Players of the home team shall wear dark jerseys, and players of the visiting team shall wear light-colored jerseys. The visiting team is responsible for avoidance of similarity of colors, but if there is doubt, the referee may require players of the home team to change jerseys.

Starting next year, due to some new jersey rules that have been known by coaches for what seems like a decade now, the visiting teams must wear white (they are removing the "light" terminology to take away gray, gold, and such other light colors. By next year, home teams will not be allowed to have white on their uniforms except for numbers and or trim less than 1 inch in width.

Not necessarily white, but light colored jerseys. Although its always been suggested, and coaches generally have talked in the past to make sure jersey issues didn't happen before a game they adjusted the rule last year to read as this:

Rule 1 Section 5 Article 1 Part B Section 5: Through 2011, players of the opposing team shall wear jerseys of contrasting colors. Players of the home team shall wear dark jerseys, and players of the visiting team shall wear light-colored jerseys. The visiting team is responsible for avoidance of similarity of colors, but if there is doubt, the referee may require players of the home team to change jerseys.

Starting next year, due to some new jersey rules that have been known by coaches for what seems like a decade now, the visiting teams must wear white (they are removing the "light" terminology to take away gray, gold, and such other light colors. By next year, home teams will not be allowed to have white on their uniforms except for numbers and or trim less than 1 inch in width.

Thank you!

Old Tully wont back down from nothing and I respect the hell out of the guy but he ran into a Coach ( That I know pesonally) that would lock horns with all the 4 horseman lol.

This guy came out of a Pro system where they play by the old Spurrier rule " It's my job to score,it's your job to stop me, Dont get mad if I do my job better" I dont like seeing the score ran up on kids, back in my day I was on teams that got beat 70-0 I didnt like like it and I didnt forget it but thats life move on Ole Davy boy will return the favor some day..I grew up around the Galax program, back in the day (early 70's) they had a weight room that Va Tech would have liked to have had..There use to be a strong Football tradition there and the coach they have now is rekindling the fire.

As Vols said, if they made them switch Jersys I'd imagine that would fire them up..

Kick'n a big dog is like eat'n peppers...Careful what you eat it may burn your ass.

I am an official and thought the grounding call was justified. Not trying to argue the point but I would have called it. He had all day to throw as Galax fell back in coverage with it being 3rd and about 14 from the Castlewood 7 yard line. The QB had nowhere to go with the ball and was still inside the tackle box and just threw the ball to about the 10 yard line from the back of the endzone to the flat with nobody within 25 yards of the area.

Stephen Peoples was the player ejected with about 6 minutes left in the game. He has loads of talent, maybe even division 1 talent but can't control his anger. He way I understand the rule, the ejection is for 2 games but that includes the current game you are being ejected from.

First point. Remember that a "tackle box" plays absolutely no importance by NFHS rules on intentional grounding. The only thing that really matters is if a receiver is in the area.

Second point. If a punch was thrown, the kid probably won't be back till the state title game if Galax makes it to that point. Fighting is a two game suspension, and has no bearing on the game the kid is ejected from, meaning he would miss next week, and the state semis unless something is appealed and approved.

Old Tully wont back down from nothing and I respect the hell out of the guy but he ran into a Coach ( That I know pesonally) that would lock horns with all the 4 horseman lol.

This guy came out of a Pro system where they play by the old Spurrier rule " It's my job to score,it's your job to stop me, Dont get mad if I do my job better" I dont like seeing the score ran up on kids, back in my day I was on teams that got beat 70-0 I didnt like like it and I didnt forget it but thats life move on Ole Davy boy will return the favor some day..I grew up around the Galax program, back in the day (early 70's) they had a weight room that Va Tech would have liked to have had..There use to be a strong Football tradition there and the coach they have now is rekindling the fire.

As Vols said, if they made them switch Jersys I'd imagine that would fire them up..

Kick'n a big dog is like eat'n peppers...Careful what you eat it may burn your ass.

He played for Jimmie Johnson in Miami for the Dolphins. Jimmie said that exact phrase several times while at the U.

He played for Jimmie Johnson in Miami for the Dolphins. Jimmie said that exact phrase several times while at the U.

Yep, like I said I dont like to see a beat down either but dont hate the players, hate the game. Toughr things in life ahead than what they endured last night.

What dont kill"ya makes ya stronger..

On the IG call, from what I saw it looked like #15 was in the area...and as you said the kid had all day to throw it, didn't look like he was about to go down. That sort of call is just not needed when its going to cost a team 2 points and possession...purely a judgement call. I just don't see it, but, i'd have to watch the film to see where the #15 or #7 kid was when it was thrown to be 100% sure. If the kid threw it straight in the ground as he was about to go down, I can see it...but, that isn't what was going on....I didn't like the call.

As for Jerseys...Red vs Blue? Would have been just fine I think? I've seen it before. What does jersey color have to do with running up a score? Is that supposed to justify it? Coach got his ego stepped on or something? That little tantrum just cost you one of if not the best RB you had for a couple of games didn't it? Not very smart. Kid should have been on the bench and your 3rd stringer should have been playing anyway.

As for running up the score in other games? I have no idea about Galax other than what I saw last night, have not heard anyone say anything about them...I don't keep up with them. If that has been a complaint all year, then maybe there is something to it, because they did it last night, for whatever reason, without a doubt. I just don't like it for various reasons...one, this is a bunch of high school kids not a college team at a top 10 program trying to impress the BCS, two, you risk losing a key player, which happened last night, three, you deny your other kids that have endured a season of working out and sitting on the bench time on the field which only helps your own program later on in many ways....and four, it's just a low class move and makes you look bad.

pretty good game though overall for the most part.

Dixon has taken it easy on the other guys all year. He knows what he'll have next year, and what's coming next year, as well as anybody. Regular season, they averaged about 10 points in the second half, 3 in the fourth quarter.

Galax didn't throw a pass in the fourth quarter between Week 1 and week 10, and taking one tailback out for another is just replacing good with good.

If youve got stuff youre going to use when it matters, you work on it in a game situation, not against freshmen and sophomores on the scout team.

The Grayson game showed Galax that they were out of shape, and that's another big reason the starters are still playing late.

Point is, they're getting ready for Salem. Whether they make it, who knows, but would you want guys playing in the fourth quarter in the biggest game of their lives, when they haven't played 48 minutes but twice all year?

Well said sixcat. I do not like to see high scores (takes the fun out of it for me) but in the playoff's this score is not unlike some of the other teams scores, that are well represented on this forum. Moreover, Galax does not have enough varsity players to just make wholesale substitutions...but when they do those backup (3rd and 4th string) do not stop playing. Castlewood seems to have not given up and credit to them. Galax just has more athelete's in all positions on this Friday night, and congratulations to them. Hope they continue to represent Southwest Virginia well as they move to the third round.

yeah...be clear about that, Galax has a great team this year and a ton of talent on both sides of the ball...I enjoyed watching them play. Playing up in to the 4th late wasn't even much of a thought until it was 53-24 with 3 min left and you have the first string out there passing the ball trying to score...which even passing the ball to get a first down and wrap it up would have been ok...but when you get the ball at the 20 and have 1st down with 1:16 left in the game...you take a knee....you don't try to make it 60-24 in that situation...show some respect to the other team you are playing who is in the 2nd round of the playoffs just like your kids are. That's the point.