Marion requests to drop to Hogo

great_state

Marion's appeal to drop to the Hogoheegee for the 2013-14/2014-15 school years has been submitted. Link below to the official appeal which is included in the VHSL Executive Committee board packets for today's meeting.

http://www.boarddocs.com/vsba/vhsl/Board.nsf/files/8P9QU96ABF96/$file/Marion%20HS%20Appeal.pdf

One thing to note, the existing Hogoheegee principals voted 4-2 to deny Marion's request. I have no idea how that will impact the discussion.

Of course, none of this will be official until the redistricting committee gets all of the appeals in February and makes their final recommendation in April.

man I dont know I just know its an easy win for you guys in football

Easy or difficult, we still play each other. I just found it odd that the first two schools you were quick to say most likely voted against it was GW and RR. And hey, we could have. I honestly don't know.

I will point out, however, that currently GW is the biggest of the Hogo schools while Marion has 250 more kids than us. Northwood alone as 261. Personally, I don't care if Marion joins or not, but I can see why some schools may not want them in. I do think as Marion's numbers drop, it becomes more and more likely even if it were not to happen as soon as next year.

The bigger question here is where do the other schools go if the AA schools keep dropping. Where does Northwood and Holston go? Where does Bland and Narrows go? The Twin Valleys, Hurleys, and so on. These schools 300 or less kids to pick from of which 60% of the 300 might be boys so that would take that down to 180 boys if you are lucky 9-12 and we all know out of that you are lucky to find a hand full that are Football Players and a few more to put on the field. Where as Marion has around 600 with lets say the same 60% as above 360 boys to pick from. this is just what the small schools have to look at.

The bigger question here is where do the other schools go if the AA schools keep dropping. Where does Northwood and Holston go? Where does Bland and Narrows go? The Twin Valleys, Hurleys, and so on. These schools 300 or less kids to pick from of which 60% of the 300 might be boys so that would take that down to 180 boys if you are lucky 9-12 and we all know out of that you are lucky to find a hand full that are Football Players and a few more to put on the field. Where as Marion has around 600 with lets say the same 60% as above 360 boys to pick from. this is just what the small schools have to look at.

Marion is actually listed at 710 at the moment. From what I understand, it's dropping every year, though.

Side note....If I were still in high school and the enrollment was 60% males, I would transfer ;)

Aren't those schools in Div. 1 though??? They don't have to go anywhere. Divisional play has extended out to other sports too, so these shouldn't have much to worry about.

Edited by Beamerball

Buchanan Co. will be one big high school sooner than later. Dickenson Co. will be one high school in less than 3 years. The small schools that you speak of will consolidate if feasiable. I could see Rye Cove/Twin Springs and Holston/PH both consolidate if trends continue the same. And if Lee's number keep droping, maybe even adding TW and making one school there too.

They don't need to go anywhere. They already have divisional play in the major sports and enough schools make the playoffs in each to where only the least deserving are eliminated from post-season play.

The smallest schools in any state are always going to be at a disadvantage no matter what kind of classification system you come up with. If you put all schools with 300 students and below in one group, inevitably a school with 150 kids can complain about playing schools double their size.

Buchanan Co. will be one big high school sooner than later. Dickenson Co. will be one high school in less than 3 years. The small schools that you speak of will consolidate if feasiable. I could see Rye Cove/Twin Springs and Holston/PH both consolidate if trends continue the same. And if Lee's number keep droping, maybe even adding TW and making one school there too.

Im not sure about the other schools, but logistically it is going to be very difficult for Twin Springs and Rye Cove to consolidate. There are kids who drive an hour to go to Rye Cove from near the TN state line. And there will not be a quick route for a centrally located school between the two schools unless new roads were built. There has been talk of consolidation in Scott County, but to do it equally you would probably have to build a school in Snowflake or Midway and between Speers Ferry and Gate City. It would be hard to figure how you would split the kids who attend GC into the two new schools though because most are going to be filtered in through US23.