what is the latest on reclassification of teams?

HB Burke

Also 3 schools with be gone and made into one in 2-3 years. No more haysi, clintwood, or ervinton. They will be one high school.

Yep. And at that point one or more of my districts will either contract, or a larger new one could be formed by consolidating other alignments.

I deliberately separated schools that are expected to be closed in order to balance geographical alignments while maintaining a projected minimum number (five) of district members.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Purely for grins, I threw together the following possible alignment....

BLACK DIAMOND: Council, Grundy, Haysi, Honaker, Hurley, Twin Valley

SOUTHWEST: Abingdon, John Battle, Lebanon, Marion, Richlands, Tazewell, Virginia High

CUMBERLAND: Castlewood, Ervinton, Rye Cove, Thomas Walker, Twin Springs

LONESOME PINE: Central, Gate City, Clintwood, J.I. Burton, Lee, Union

HOGOHEEGEE: Chilhowie, Patrick Henry (GS), Holston, Northwood, Rural Retreat

MOUNTAIN EMPIRE: Bland, Fort Chiswell, Galax, George Wythe, Graham, Grayson County, Rocky Gap

THREE RIVERS: Auburn, Eastern Montgomery, Floyd County, Giles, Glenvar, Narrows, Radford

RIVER RIDGE: Blacksburg, Carroll County, Cave Spring, Christiansburg, Hidden Valley, Lord Botetourt, Northside, Pulaski County, Salem, William Byrd

SEMINOLE: Amherst, Appomattox, Brookville, Jefferson Forest, Liberty (Bedford), Nelson County, Rustburg, Staunton River

DOGWOOD: Altavista, Chatham, Dan River, Gretna, Magna Vista, Martinsville, Patrick County, Tunstall, William Campbell

WESTERN VALLEY: Bassett, E.C. Glass, Franklin County, George Washington (Danville), Halifax County, Heritage, Patrick Henry (Roanoke), William Fleming

NEW RIVER: Pulaski, Carroll, Christiansburg, Blacksburg, Giles, Floyd

NEW RIVER: Pulaski, Carroll, Christiansburg, Blacksburg, Giles, Floyd

The new regime would allow for the re-creation of the old NRD (or something close to it). And that's an idea that I personally like a lot.

The biggest fly in the ointment for schools within the Roanoke area will be what the largest schools decide to do. Franklin County, PH-Roanoke, and Halifax County are probably going to be joined at the hip. Any effort to create a district for those three has a lot of geographical space in between that can be filled. There are plenty of former AAA teams that used to be in the Roanoke/Western Valley District that could be swayed to play in the "big" league. And I wouldn't be terribly shocked to see Jefferson Forest wind up in that mix as well.

MOUNTAIN EMPIRE: Bland, Fort Chiswell, Galax, George Wythe, Graham, Grayson County, Rocky Gap

rocky gap and bland combine to play football neither have their own team so in this mix you would only have bland and not rockygap.

"Twin Valley, Grundy, Hurley, Northwood, Twin Springs, Thomas Walker, Rye Cove"

I'm SURE that looks fine to someone in Wise Co., but not so to us up in the corner.

I'm sure Northwood would be thrilled also...leaving the Hogo with all five opponents within a half hour or so, to travel to Buchanan, Scott and Lee counties. Yeah, that makes sense.

Sounds like this Norton plan is just suited to whatever benefits Norton the most.

I'm sure Northwood would be thrilled also...leaving the Hogo with all five opponents within a half hour or so, to travel to Buchanan, Scott and Lee counties. Yeah, that makes sense.

Sounds like this Norton plan is just suited to whatever benefits Norton the most.

The Norton plan looks like it didn't take travel into account. If left to their own devices, I can't imagine that any school will volunteer to participate in a district that requires travel of over ninety minutes on any kind of consistent basis. Just my opinion, of course.

Heard earlier today from extremely reliable source that......well let's just say some single a schools will be aa and the southwest will be close to old form without Grundy and cc but addition of gc and aa welcomes gretna back to aa....if you can't figure out the scenario then speculate for a few weeks and then it will be revealed in February! All area teams should still be happy.

• 1 month later...
Purely for grins, I threw together the following possible alignment....

BLACK DIAMOND: Council, Grundy, Haysi, Honaker, Hurley, Twin Valley

SOUTHWEST: Abingdon, John Battle, Lebanon, Marion, Richlands, Tazewell, Virginia High

CUMBERLAND: Castlewood, Ervinton, Rye Cove, Thomas Walker, Twin Springs

LONESOME PINE: Central, Gate City, Clintwood, J.I. Burton, Lee, Union

HOGOHEEGEE: Chilhowie, Patrick Henry (GS), Holston, Northwood, Rural Retreat

THREE RIVERS: Auburn, Eastern Montgomery, Floyd County, Giles, Glenvar, Narrows, Radford

RIVER RIDGE: Blacksburg, Carroll County, Cave Spring, Christiansburg, Hidden Valley, Lord Botetourt, Northside, Pulaski County, Salem, William Byrd

SEMINOLE: Amherst, Appomattox, Brookville, Jefferson Forest, Liberty (Bedford), Nelson County, Rustburg, Staunton River

DOGWOOD: Altavista, Chatham, Dan River, Gretna, Magna Vista, Martinsville, Patrick County, Tunstall, William Campbell

WESTERN VALLEY: Bassett, E.C. Glass, Franklin County, George Washington (Danville), Halifax County, Heritage, Patrick Henry (Roanoke), William Fleming

Now that some of the dust has settled, I'm still willing to take some abuse for my wild hair proposal.

Although I was really close on the SWD. Except for the name. And the fact that I thought GC and Lee would opt for better travel times over membership in a 9 team league.

Given the rumblings from Franklin County, I still wouldn't be terribly surprised to see a "big school" district evolve which spans the area from Roanoke to Lynchburg to Halifax to Martinsville.

Now that some of the dust has settled, I'm still willing to take some abuse for my wild hair proposal.

Although I was really close on the SWD. Except for the name. And the fact that I thought GC and Lee would opt for better travel times over membership in a 9 team league.

Given the rumblings from Franklin County, I still wouldn't be terribly surprised to see a "big school" district evolve which spans the area from Roanoke to Lynchburg to Halifax to Martinsville.

GC would rather travel across the state for district games than to rejoin the LPD.

Is there anyone who has the time and/or energy to put together these new district changes? I only care about SWVA schools.

The proposed realignment would include:

Clinch Mountain District: Abingdon, Gate City, John Battle, Lebanon, Lee, Marion, Richlands, Tazewell, Virginia High. Abingdon would be Group AAA in postseason play, the rest would be AA.

Mountain Empire District: Bland County, Galax, Fort Chiswell, Graham, Grayson County, Narrows. Only Graham and Grayson County would be Group AA.

Black Diamond: Council, Grundy, Haysi, Honaker, Hurley, Twin Valley. Grundy would be the lone Group AA team in the league.

The proposed realignment would include:

Clinch Mountain District: Abingdon, Gate City, John Battle, Lebanon, Lee, Marion, Richlands, Tazewell, Virginia High. Abingdon would be Group AAA in postseason play, the rest would be AA.

Mountain Empire District: Bland County, Galax, Fort Chiswell, Graham, Grayson County, Narrows. Only Graham and Grayson County would be Group AA.

Black Diamond: Council, Grundy, Haysi, Honaker, Hurley, Twin Valley. Grundy would be the lone Group AA team in the league.

Ah, ok. Thanks Lance.