Home Schooled Athletes Playing for Your Local School

Hacker

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/news/2012/feb/02/tdmain01-house-panel-advances-bill-on-school-sport-ar-1657478/

I believe this is coming, and is going to have an interesting impact on HS sports. One drawback that comes to mind is the academic progress of a player. VHSL has specific rules that tie to SOLs and grades. Not all home schooling is created equally so could there be situations where a great athlete is kept eligible by being "home schooled."

Now don't get the idea that I am opposed to home schooling. That is a parental decision, and many are better prepared academically for college than public school kids. I can just see the possibility of someone abusing the law.

I'm of the opinion that if you choose not to attend public schools, you forfeit your "right" to participate in public school activities.

there has been a big discussion on va preps about this and seems many are of the opinion that home schooled kids should be allowed to play highschool sports. my opinion is if the vhsl is going to allow this then the parents need to pay a fee to the school district for their kids to play and get the exposure for a college that other wise they would not get for atheletics being home schooled.

I agree with gman that a parent forfeits the kids right to play by the choice made to home school. Not saying it's wrong, it's your child, your decision, but if a kid misses public school they are not allowed to practice or play that day. Heck, if they don't attend 5 periods they are not eligible to play that day. So do we just trust all the home schoolers worked on 5 subjects that day or that the parent didn't have something else to take priority that day knowing they could catch up the work later. I'm sorry but if your not willing to follow the rules set for everyone else then you lose out!

I am of the opinion that if the public schools are not good enough for the Home Schooled, then the after school programs of all types are not good enough either. They do not attend the school or get involved in student life, but they want to use the public schools as a vehicle to display their talents. The athletes who attend the public schools are subject to late night game trips and practice everyday. They are still expected to be at school on time and keep up with their assignments. Those that home school could sleep in and postpone their class work until they had the time to do it. Why should the home school kids be able to take positions and playing time from those actually attend the schools and are involved in all facets of student life? Let them form their own leagues, buy the equipment, find playing venues, etc. I do not believe they will be that well received by the student athletes at the schools they choose join.

What are the laws regarding vouchers for private school or home schooling in Virginia?

I agree with home schooling if the parent feels it will get the child the best education available, and if they are not receiving vouchers to offset the cost of home schooling then the child should be able to use the facilities and programs their taxes helped pay for.

I'm of the opinion that if you choose not to attend public schools, you forfeit your "right" to participate in public school activities.

Agreed. Sports teams are part of the schools, if a kid doesent participate in the schools then imo he/she shouldnt be allowed to participate in the schools activities.

Personally I dont believe home schooling fully prepares children for "the real world" but that is a decision that parents have the right to make.

Guest The Variable
I may be wrong, but I know a buddy in C-Ville area that home schools and he was telling me that Richmond has a home school football team (11 man). They play the private school schedule.

I had not heard that, I know some of the private schools actually play the public schools (Benedictine for one). Interesting if it is true. I do not see why they shouldnt be able to field a team.

I agree to an extent. My biggest problem is that students do not have the "right" to play sports in public school. They have to earn it by maintaining grades, attendance, and behavior, among other things. "Home school" kids will not have to obide by the every day rules that kids who attend school, public or private, have to deal with. Sports are more of a privilage, than a right.

Here are a few things that trouble me.

1. As long as the school board has approved the request, any child can be home schooled

2. If the request meets the state guidelines, the school board has to approve the request.

3. The bar for meeting the state guidelines is so low that as long as the parent is a high school graduate, they meet the guidelines.

This will allow situations to occur where a child has failed in a public school to be "home schooled" and thus remain eligible.

As I have said before, most of the students I have encountered who are home schooled are meeting rigorous standards. In fact for those who are not aware there is an on-line home schooling program Bluefield Academy that is available.

To me, it is a case of people wanting the best of both world. They want to control their child's education to parallel their beliefs, and they want the benefits of what the public schools offer. Some of these same folks want all the benefits of government, but complain that they have to pay taxes for the benefits.

Guest The Variable
To me, it is a case of people wanting the best of both world. They want to control their child's education to parallel their beliefs, and they want the benefits of what the public schools offer. Some of these same folks want all the benefits of government, but complain that they have to pay taxes for the benefits.

If they pay real estate taxes, they are financially tied to the public school system. To me home schooled families pay for services that they do not use.

If they pay real estate taxes, they are financially tied to the public school system. To me home schooled families pay for services that they do not use.

Home schooled families do pay taxes but they are given a choice. If they choose not to participate in the work that other kids need to do in order to maintain the privilege of playing sports then they should not be allowed to participate in the events they do choose to play in.

I wonder if a public school kid that wanted to play in a home schooled league would be allowed to play or would he/she be told that it was only open for the home schooled kid?

All of us that pay taxes end up paying for services they never use. The elderly pay for schools they don't use. We all pay for jails, social services, recreation programs and other things we hope to never use.

All of us that pay taxes end up paying for services they never use. The elderly pay for schools they don't use. We all pay for jails, social services, recreation programs and other things we hope to never use.

Good point.

Then, wouldn't the logical equivalent be someone on the outside clamoring to play on the prison's football team?

Guest The Variable
Home schooled families do pay taxes but they are given a choice. If they choose not to participate in the work that other kids need to do in order to maintain the privilege of playing sports then they should not be allowed to participate in the events they do choose to play in.

I wonder if a public school kid that wanted to play in a home schooled league would be allowed to play or would he/she be told that it was only open for the home schooled kid?

Yeah, because our public school system is doing so well with SOLs now :rolleyes:. The standards might be lower, but those kids almost always perform well above the public standards. That point is moot.

Guest The Variable

Indeed. I was just replying to the "best of both worlds" comment. Paying to do something yourself that you are already paying somebody else to do for you is not exactly a "best of both worlds" scenario. In fact, on paper it benefits the community more because it frees up community resources.

Tax money that goes to schools is not for the children attending school it is for the general benefit of society down the road. So paying tax funds that go toward education does not entitle homeschooled children to participation in school activities.

At least thats the way I see it.

I also completly agree with barondawg77s point about earning having to earn the right to play sports in public schools.

Guest The Variable
Tax money that goes to schools is not for the children attending school it is for the general benefit of society down the road. So paying tax funds that go toward education does not entitle homeschooled children to participation in school activities.

At least thats the way I see it.

I also completly agree with barondawg77s point about earning having to earn the right to play sports in public schools.

HA! Well good to know that money is generally wasted then.

Agreed. Sports teams are part of the schools, if a kid doesent participate in the schools then imo he/she shouldnt be allowed to participate in the schools activities.

Personally I dont believe home schooling fully prepares children for "the real world" but that is a decision that parents have the right to make.

Do you believe the high school education system in the area prepares kids for the "real world"?

Because it does nothing even close to that, sad but true.

Children in the public education system are exposed to alot of things that they wouldnt be exposed to in a home schooling situation. They are put in situations where they have to deal w/ negative influences(drugs, bullying, peer pressure, etc), imo it makes them better people and gives them a taste of what they are gonna have to face in adulthood. But I will agree that the public school system itself does not prepare children as much as it should, espicially with basic life skills.

It's like fighting an establishment that serves alcohol then parking your car around back so no one can see you go in and buy a package for yourself. I know, not a very good analogy, but if I was against my child socializing with public school children during the day, why would I want them to after school?

Guest The Variable
It's like fighting an establishment that serves alcohol then parking your car around back so no one can see you go in and buy a package for yourself. I know, not a very good analogy, but if I was against my child socializing with public school children during the day, why would I want them to after school?

This is the misconception. I went to public school, I do not have a huge problem with the kids who go to public school. I have a problem with cirriculum. SOLs and a sub-par tenure system has helped to ruin things there. Ill probably be sending my kids to a private school of some sort, but if I put my mind to it, I bet I could do a better job.

I may be wrong, but I know a buddy in C-Ville area that home schools and he was telling me that Richmond has a home school football team (11 man). They play the private school schedule.

I know that Kingsport TN has a "home school" program where the kids actually come to a building 3 times a week and have class room activities and social dances and so forth. If im not mistaking they also have "home school" sports as well. Im a firm believer that if you dont want your kid in public school then your kid has no right to particitpate in public school activities. No offence to the home schoolers out there but you cant have your cake and eat it too. If the VHSL wants to sacntion a "home school league" that would be great and let it be a self sufficient league that buys its own equipment and so forth. Im not for allowing the kids to particitpate on the same team as kids who go to public school, thats kind of hypocritical if you ask me.