New Conference Proposal

Jason

I don't disagree that it's much safer. In fact, completely agree.

I tried to drive at this in my initial post...the extended distance makes that district ridiculous.

But it's not a district. It's a conference for the first round of the post season for sports other than football. Graham will still be in the MED and Richlands and Tazewell will be in the CMD.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it's not a district. It's a conference for the first round of the post season for sports other than football. Graham will still be in the MED and Richlands and Tazewell will be in the CMD.

Exactly.....Richlands wouldn't even have to travel to Grayson...or vice versa..in many years.

First off, they would have to be paired against each other. Secondly, it would have to be in a sport where the conference tournament or playoff is held at home sites rather than a central location.

Again, it's not much different than having a post-season tournament game at Carroll County--and all the SWD members have been playing them in the regular season PLUS the tournament for over a decade.

as far as I can grasp...the only time this is going to be a real problem is in the winter...and I'm guessing the schools involved will just re-schedule if the weather is a problem.

The real travel time is going to come once you reach the final four of any sport...

Just chiming in....

This conference proposal seems pretty logical. I don't know why I think that. I'm positive that I couldn't explain it to anyone else. And, at least on its face, it's about as complicated as it possibly could be.

But overall, I think I'm okay with it.

Just chiming in....

This conference proposal seems pretty logical. I don't know why I think that. I'm positive that I couldn't explain it to anyone else. And, at least on its face, it's about as complicated as it possibly could be.

But overall, I think I'm okay with it.

Here's a more simplified look at what the regionals for 2A West would look like. Again, this would be for all sports BUT football, with:

TWO out of each conference.

Conf 39: Tazewell, Richlands, Graham, Grayson, Marion

Conf 40: Grundy, Lee, Gate City, VHS, Battle, Union, Central

Conf 37: Gretna, Appomattox, Nelson Co, Chatham, Dan River

Conf 38: Floyd, Giles, Glenvar, James River, Martinsville

As I mentioned earlier, the proposal indicates that the region could opt for a sub-regional format in which Conf 39 & 40 is one half of the bracket and Conf 37 & 38 is the other half. That would essentially guarantee far SWVA of having a final four participant every year in sports like basketball, softball, volleyball, etc. since the winners and runners up from each half advance to the final four.

I must have missed it, how are the Final Fours done?

I dont like the current Football setup. I would Prefer a East and a West Champion face for the State Title

Based on that presentation that someone else linked early in the thread, the East and West champs and runners up advance to the Final Four with East winner vs West runners up and vice-versa. IMO this is the worst part of the proposal.

They should just have the two West finalists and two East finalists meet in the Final Four and not even bother with a regional final.

Based on that presentation that someone else linked early in the thread, the East and West champs and runners up advance to the Final Four with East winner vs West runners up and vice-versa. IMO this is the worst part of the proposal.

They should just have the two West finalists and two East finalists meet in the Final Four and not even bother with a regional final.

Or how about have 8 conferences divided into four regions. 2 conferences per region, top two from each conference goes to regionals and the 4 region champs in the final four.

Or how about have 8 conferences divided into four regions. 2 conferences per region, top two from each conference goes to regionals and the 4 region champs in the final four.

That would be perfect; I just hope someone at one of the schools will propose it to the VHSL.

It would save a ton on travel because the regions would be more compact and you'd only need two rounds to determine a region champ. It helps with bad weather, too, because if the first round gets rained/snowed out on Tuesday, you can still play Wednesday or Thursday (or even Friday if needed, with a final on Saturday).

Plus, if the region championship game was "win or go home" it might improve attendance. As it stands now in hoops, baseball, etc if you lose the region, big deal, you still move on to state quarterfinals.

That would be perfect; I just hope someone at one of the schools will propose it to the VHSL.

It would save a ton on travel because the regions would be more compact and you'd only need two rounds to determine a region champ. It helps with bad weather, too, because if the first round gets rained/snowed out on Tuesday, you can still play Wednesday or Thursday (or even Friday if needed, with a final on Saturday).

Plus, if the region championship game was "win or go home" it might improve attendance. As it stands now in hoops, baseball, etc if you lose the region, big deal, you still move on to state quarterfinals.

Also, the regular season still needs to mean something in the post season besides only for seeding. District champions should be guaranteed a spot in the regional tournament no matter how they place in the conference tourney.

I bet falcon man will love the conference Abingdon is in!

Carroll County has it even better. Their opponents:

EC Glass

Jefferson Forest

Pulaski

Salem

GW-Danville

Bassett

• 5 weeks later...

has there been a final approval on this?

Everyone is going to have their opinion on this but i think grundy is getting hurt bad in this deal for all sports.

Conference 40:

From Grundy

Travel time to Union 1 hr 50 min - 70 miles

Travel time to Gate City 2 hrs - 77 miles

Travel time to Lee 2 hrs 20 min - 100 miles

Travel time to John Battle 1 hr 30 min - 68 miles

Travel time to Va High 1 hr 45 min - 73 miles

Travel time to Central 1 hr 30 min - 55 miles

This is estimated by google maps. Trip for a bus will be longer.

Why is Grundy not in Conference 39? It would be the old SWD (-Carroll +Grayson) from back in the late 90's.

Totally agree.

But rem., Conferences are only for the playoffs. Personally, I'd rather see 8 (full bracket) & 5 (1 play-in game) than a 7 & 6 split... makes planning easier.

But the new alignment just out has us in 39.

(AND moves Holston and Northwood into 47, which had been just BDD schools)

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/rr-2013-15-revised-conference-plan-model-only.pdf

Edited by VHSLhelper