Bristol to change???

Ryan4VT

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/racing/news/20120319/bristol-motor-speedway/

Bruton Smith is considering dropping 1 mil. to reconstruct the banking at Bristol back to the way it was pre-2007. What do you guys think??? I definitely think it would go back to selling out if the banking becomes steeper and isn't progressive. One race line forces drivers to make cars move, which os better for the fans.

So what do you guys think??

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/racing/news/20120319/bristol-motor-speedway/

Bruton Smith is considering dropping 1 mil. to reconstruct the banking at Bristol back to the way it was pre-2007. What do you guys think??? I definitely think it would go back to selling out if the banking becomes steeper and isn't progressive. One race line forces drivers to make cars move, which os better for the fans.

So what do you guys think??

Just because they don't wreck 20-25 times a race doesn't mean its boring. I absolutely love the fact that they can and do race 2-3 wide. That's racing.

Not trying to be a smart a$$, but did the race this weekend change your opinion?

Bruton took a shot in the wallet this spring and it got his attention that kind of racing is something we are not interested in seeing. Bristol use to be the hottest ticket in racing and now you cant give them away and thats going to hurt Bruton if something is not changed no better way to get his attention than our decision taking chunks out of his check.

besides the fact that now they have milked it for all its worth, when they change it back to the way it was and things start picking up again, they have a good marketing tool with the "racing the way it was" and "its been 5 years since you saw real racing at bristol"...that stuff...$1 million to change it back is pocket change to fill up another 50,000 seats twice a year...this will happen IMHO because it's a no brainer for Burton Smith...pay a million to make $10 million in seat revenue alone...not to mention the money they would save not having to advertise again...anyone remember hearing radio ads or tv ads for tickets to Bristol 10 years ago? there was no need for them. Then figure parking revenue and concessions...easily a $100 million dollar gain in the short term by changing it back.

Also...I HATE the current format...as far as i'm concerned its ruined NASCAR...I wish they would either go back to the old format or change it to something else. I wont follow NASCAR again until they do.

"But Smith insisted it was the rain, not fan apathy over the current style of racing at Bristol, that contributed to Sunday's poor crowd."

funny

yet, the weather never slowed it down 10 years ago lol. Must be this new rain we are getting.

The weather must have scared off the 60,000 people that didn't buy tickets since the last bristol race a year ago.

Yep, I agree. I couldn't believe all the empty seats I saw while watching on TV. Anyone know what the attendance was Sunday?

The attendence was announced at 102,000 for Sunday. 55,000 for Saturday. I doubt those numbers are correct though.

The new BMS racing surface reminds me of New Coke.

Time to change it back to Bristol Classic.

yet, the weather never slowed it down 10 years ago lol. Must be this new rain we are getting.

The weather must have scared off the 60,000 people that didn't buy tickets since the last bristol race a year ago.

Is it that there were 60K tickets remaining, or that it was a sellout and 60K people didn't show up?

Is it that there were 60K tickets remaining, or that it was a sellout and 60K people didn't show up?

they only sold 102,000 tickets, which is the # they are throwing around...but there is no way there were that many people in the stands. When they don't sell out there are a lot of corporations that get tickets and give them away and that sort of thing, so you have a large population of people with tickets they didn't have any real money in...and don't show if the weather is bad.

they only sold 102,000 tickets, which is the # they are throwing around...but there is no way there were that many people in the stands. When they don't sell out there are a lot of corporations that get tickets and give them away and that sort of thing, so you have a large population of people with tickets they didn't have any real money in...and don't show if the weather is bad.

No, they sold ~152,000 tickets. Only 8,120ish were unsold. But only 102,000 were what walked through the gates.

Not trying to be a smart a$$, but did the race this weekend change your opinion?

No. Like I said, I personally love the fact they can run two wide now. However, it's like the track has become too easy now. And that, I hate. So if turning it back to pre-2007 makes the drivers and fans respect the place again, then I'm all for it.

No, they sold ~152,000 tickets. Only 8,120ish were unsold. But only 102,000 were what walked through the gates.

That's not the numbers I saw today I saw that they sold 102,000 tickets, 8,120 went unused and that meant somewhere around 94,000 people actually at the race. But I could be mistaken. Either way between the new resurface, the COT, and the fact that the drivers just aren't likable anymore just corporate faces all lead to bad news for Bristol.

I like the track both ways, I would like to see the banking put back into the track. If they put it back or not one other thing that needs worked on is the tires. The tires last to long they need to soften them up so that they wear. 120 lap tires should never beat new tires but it did sunday.

Theres no way 102k walked through those gates Sunday. It was barely half full. Worst crowd I have ever seen for Bristol bar none as far as capacity/attendance.

Theres no way 102k walked through those gates Sunday. It was barely half full. Worst crowd I have ever seen for Bristol bar none as far as capacity/attendance.

Like I said, I was just going by what was announced on SPEED and what was in the article.