If you go to college now, you are screwed.

I've been looking into things about the upcoming life before college and life after college and here is what I've come up with.

1. First off, you are "brainwashed" as a young child to go to school, go to college, and then get a job. The better grades = a better College/University, with the outcome of a better and higher paying job.

2. Just to be able to get into college you have to take out loans and a whopping load of $$$$ comes later.

3. Once you get out of college you USED to have zero/little debt to worry about and could go ahead and start a job and get a house/apartment and start paying the mortgage/rent.

4. NOW once you get out of college, you can have hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt which prevents you from getting a house/apartment. You get a job (let me remind you that the job market is decreasing) and start to pay off loan after loan, bill after bill.

5. If you are not a doctor or a lawyer or the President, etc. then you will struggle tremendously with paying off the debts and will probably have to live with your parents or find a low rent apartment.

Now here is what I am wondering.

Wouldn't it be so much easier to go right into working straight after high school?

You might have a harder job that requires manual labor (not saying thats bad) but it is almost worth it because you won't have to pay off all the debts and can start your own life debt free right out of High School.

Just some thoughts I've been thinking about lately.

Just so everyone knows, I am not demoting or trashing any jobs or any other roads people take after college if it came off as that.

If you go to college now a days, I really do think you are in for a rude awakening after you graduate.

All I have to say is that Community College is super easy to get into, super cheap (and for many, many people free or close to it), not too long (2 years for an Associates Degree or about the same or less for a certificate), and a good way to get into a trade (plumber, electrician, mechanic, etc.....all needed jobs that won't go away) either by getting certified and/or an Associates or leading to an apprenticeship. I'm not saying everyone has to go to college, but I would HIGHLY consider at least going to community college after high school to get something.

There is nothing wrong with not going to college as there are good paying jobs that do not require it.

I went to college. I decided to stay in state where tuition and fees weren't as expensive. Six months after graduating college I found a good paying job that I wouldn't have without a college degree. I was able to pay off my student loans in 2 years. I'm 26 and doing much better than most kids my age who decided not to go to college.

There is nothing wrong with not going to college as there are good paying jobs that do not require it.

I went to college. I decided to stay in state where tuition and fees weren't as expensive. Six months after graduating college I found a good paying job that I wouldn't have without a college degree. I was able to pay off my student loans in 2 years. I'm 26 and doing much better than most kids my age who decided not to go to college.

Exactly what I needed to hear, thank you!!

College is worth it. The college experience will teach you more than enough life lessons, connect you with countless numbers of people who can help your career choice, and give you a lifetime worth of memories that you wouldn't have otherwise. It's costly. It's hard. It's worth every penny.

College is worth it. The college experience will teach you more than enough life lessons, connect you with countless numbers of people who can help your career choice, and give you a lifetime worth of memories that you wouldn't have otherwise. It's costly. It's hard. It's worth every penny.

I was going to post the old, tired line about "it's not a coincidence that college grads average a million dollars more over their lifetimes than those who didn't go to college", but this is a much better reason.

4. NOW once you get out of college, you can have hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt which prevents you from getting a house/apartment. You get a job (let me remind you that the job market is decreasing) and start to pay off loan after loan, bill after bill.

5. If you are not a doctor or a lawyer or the President, etc. then you will struggle tremendously with paying off the debts and will probably have to live with your parents or find a low rent apartment.

BTW, both of these are patently false. If you do 4 years of college at UVA and borrow every dime, you're looking at about $72K. Unless you're going out-of-state to a ritzy place without a dime in scholarships, that's not realistic-not "hundreds of thousands". And I'm living testament to #5 being wrong...

You can do good no matter what path you choose. I tried college for a little while before I quit and start working full time. I got on with a great company and now they're going to pay for me to attend college, but even if I didn't go I will be making over $25 a hour without a degree and without going underground.

My point is you can do good either way. Just depends on the luck of the draw.

College changes your perspective and outlook oin life(or it has for me anyway), it made me a better person in a way working couldnt(im doing both). Financially it is a toss up, like EH31 said "luck of the draw".

A good choice is community college and later a school like UVA-W. For full time, in state tuition its just over 4K per semester; room, board, books, etc is extra but its manageable.