Music in your head...

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cover of the Rolling Stone by Dr. Hook, everytime I hear this song I end up singing it all day.

Thank that great kids poet Shel Silvertein for that one. From Wikipedia:

Silverstein's passion for music was clear early on as he studied briefly at Chicago College of Performing Arts at Roosevelt University. His musical output included a large catalog of songs; a number of which were hits for other artists, most notably the rock group Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show.[6] He wrote Tompall Glaser's highest-charting solo single "Put Another Log on the Fire", "One's on the Way" (a hit for Loretta Lynn), "The Unicorn" (which became the signature piece for the Irish Rovers in 1968) and "25 Minutes to Go", sung by Johnny Cash, about a man on Death Row with each line counting down one minute closer. Silverstein also wrote one of Johnny Cash's best known whimsical hits, "A Boy Named Sue." Other songs co-written by Silverstein include "the Taker" by Waylon Jennings and "On Susan’s Floor†by Gordon Lightfoot.

He wrote the lyrics and music for most of the Dr. Hook songs, including "The Cover of the Rolling Stone", "Freakin' at the Freakers' Ball," "Sylvia's Mother", "The Things I Didn't Say" and a cautionary song about venereal disease, "Don't Give a Dose to the One You Love Most".[6] He wrote many of the songs performed by Bobby Bare, including "Rosalie's Good Eats Café", "The Mermaid", "The Winner", "Warm and Free" and "Tequila Sheila". He co-wrote with Baxter Taylor "Marie Laveau", for which the songwriters received a 1975 BMI Award. "The Mermaid" was covered in 2005 by Great Big Sea, which released its version on The Hard and the Easy album.

Silverstein's "The Ballad of Lucy Jordan", first recorded by Dr. Hook in 1975, was re-recorded by Marianne Faithfull (1979), Belinda Carlisle (1996), and Bobby Bare (2005) and later featured in the films Montenegro and Thelma & Louise. "Queen of the Silver Dollar" was first recorded by Dr. Hook on their 1972 album Sloppy Seconds, and later by Doyle Holly (on his 1973 album Doyle Holly), Barbi Benton (on her 1974 album Barbi Doll), Emmylou Harris (on her 1975 album Pieces of the Sky) and Dave & Sugar (on their 1976 album Dave & Sugar).

Silverstein's passion for music was clear early on as he studied briefly at Chicago College of Performing Arts at Roosevelt University. His musical output included a large catalog of songs; a number of which were hits for other artists, most notably the rock group Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show.[6] He wrote Tompall Glaser's highest-charting solo single "Put Another Log on the Fire", "One's on the Way" (a hit for Loretta Lynn), "The Unicorn" (which became the signature piece for the Irish Rovers in 1968) and "25 Minutes to Go", sung by Johnny Cash, about a man on Death Row with each line counting down one minute closer. Silverstein also wrote one of Johnny Cash's best known whimsical hits, "A Boy Named Sue." Other songs co-written by Silverstein include "the Taker" by Waylon Jennings and "On Susan’s Floor†by Gordon Lightfoot.

He wrote the lyrics and music for most of the Dr. Hook songs, including "The Cover of the Rolling Stone", "Freakin' at the Freakers' Ball," "Sylvia's Mother", "The Things I Didn't Say" and a cautionary song about venereal disease, "Don't Give a Dose to the One You Love Most".[6] He wrote many of the songs performed by Bobby Bare, including "Rosalie's Good Eats Café", "The Mermaid", "The Winner", "Warm and Free" and "Tequila Sheila". He co-wrote with Baxter Taylor "Marie Laveau", for which the songwriters received a 1975 BMI Award. "The Mermaid" was covered in 2005 by Great Big Sea, which released its version on The Hard and the Easy album.

Silverstein's "The Ballad of Lucy Jordan", first recorded by Dr. Hook in 1975, was re-recorded by Marianne Faithfull (1979), Belinda Carlisle (1996), and Bobby Bare (2005) and later featured in the films Montenegro and Thelma & Louise. "Queen of the Silver Dollar" was first recorded by Dr. Hook on their 1972 album Sloppy Seconds, and later by Doyle Holly (on his 1973 album Doyle Holly), Barbi Benton (on her 1974 album Barbi Doll), Emmylou Harris (on her 1975 album Pieces of the Sky) and Dave & Sugar (on their 1976 album Dave & Sugar).

Ah, "Marie Laveau". Awesome song, can't help but sing that one when it comes on.

Ah, "Marie Laveau". Awesome song, can't help but sing that one when it comes on.

I wrote a short story based on "Freaker's Ball" my senior year in high school. Needless to say it got a glorious F. A glance at the lyrics would explain why.

Don't give a dose to the one you love most, Good Lord! The title makes me think of some of David Allen Cole's XXX songs.

Some teachers just have no culture. ;)

She was my all-time "fave." She let a 220 lb football player bully me in homeroom my freshman year, and when I had her the last quarter of my senior year for Creative Writing, everything I wrote got a D- or F. My sister's boyfriend and I even swapped and rewrote each other's papers and turned them in to prove that the name on the paper mattered more than the content. He got a B on everything he turned in. So sure enough when he turned in what I wrote it got a B and his that I turned in got an F. After that I wrote what I wanted, because I knew in the end she would pass me, so I didn't have to repeat here class the next year. My grade was a D - -.

She was my all-time "fave." She let a 220 lb football player bully me in homeroom my freshman year, and when I had her the last quarter of my senior year for Creative Writing, everything I wrote got a D- or F. My sister's boyfriend and I even swapped and rewrote each other's papers and turned them in to prove that the name on the paper mattered more than the content. He got a B on everything he turned in. So sure enough when he turned in what I wrote it got a B and his that I turned in got an F. After that I wrote what I wanted, because I knew in the end she would pass me, so I didn't have to repeat here class the next year. My grade was a D - -.

Ugh, that's freaking terrible.

I'd have started writing really dark, macabre pieces just for the shock value.