VT Press Conference @ 4

Hacker

To put it bluntly: "You don't need friends, you need wins."

UVA, i'm starting to agree way to much with you, but again, you are right on the mark! Everyone seems to want family in here, but if Tech goes out and tries to hire Dell Curry, Bimbo Coles or anyone with previous ties to the program, it will fail. I see no one with the experience to move Tech to the next level. Dell Curry would look like on paper to be a great hire, but he has no experience. Hokie basketball needs wins, period! I believe Va.Tech can be a top 20 Basketball program in the future, but it starts with the coaching staff. Tech has the facilities to move forward, now we need the Coach to get us there.

Exactly. The idea of VT hiring Dell Curry to run a D-I, ACC basketball program has UVAO jumping for joy I bet. What an awful, awful idea.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dell Curry would look like on paper to be a great hire, but he has no experience.

Curry was offered (and briefly accepted, IIRC) a spot on the Charlotte Bobcats coaching staff. So from at least a conceptual standpoint, his consideration as a candidate isn't completely illogical.

Personally, I agree that it would be a bad move. And I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'm not a huge Curry fan. In my few personal interactions with him, I found him to be an insufferable a--.

To put it bluntly: "You don't need friends, you need wins."

UVA, i'm starting to agree way to much with you, but again, you are right on the mark! Everyone seems to want family in here, but if Tech goes out and tries to hire Dell Curry, Bimbo Coles or anyone with previous ties to the program, it will fail. I see no one with the experience to move Tech to the next level. Dell Curry would look like on paper to be a great hire, but he has no experience. Hokie basketball needs wins, period! I believe Va.Tech can be a top 20 Basketball program in the future, but it starts with the coaching staff. Tech has the facilities to move forward, now we need the Coach to get us there.

Scary that we're agreeing, ain't it? ;)

As a UVA fan, I'd love nothing more for you all to hire Coles or Curry.

That should say something.

Exactly. The idea of VT hiring Dell Curry to run a D-I, ACC basketball program has UVAO jumping for joy I bet.

It wouldn't be as glorious as following up Frank Beamer with Jim Druckenmiller, but...

...I might just wet myself...
Edited by UVAObserver

The Hokies should just write out a big check and hire Steve Prohm today! The last coach we hired from Murray State worked out pretty well.

He seems like he'd be a good coach, right? That's my initial impression of him after watching three or four games of theirs this past season. It's tough to tell though, considering he has one year of head coaching experience with someone else's recruits. Yes it was wildly successful, but I wish we had a bit more of a sample size by which to judge him. Can he recruit against ACC and Big East schools, let alone at all? Can he take the rigors of being in the premiere conference in college basketball?

The Hokies should just write out a big check and hire Steve Prohm today! The last coach we hired from Murray State worked out pretty well.

Probably wouldn't even need to be that big of a check...he makes $350,000/year at Murray St...he could easily "double up" and both sides would be satisfied...

Probably wouldn't even need to be that big of a check...he makes $350,000/year at Murray St...he could easily "double up" and both sides would be satisfied...

He's probably the best fit for VT's budget. You're taking a gamble with him. I like his Xs-and-Os, but that Murray State team was built for success before he took over. I think it'd be worth it, though.

He's probably the best fit for VT's budget. You're taking a gamble with him. I like his Xs-and-Os, but that Murray State team was built for success before he took over. I think it'd be worth it, though.

As a Murray St. alum, I watched them probably a dozen times this year. (Thanks ESPNU). My biggest concern is that he does lack a track record. One great year does not make a great coach. One thing he does have is a good history of finding talent, which is critical if you aren't a marquee program.