VT Press Conference @ 4

Hacker

Heard from a friend that I was in the Army with who now works at VT that they are interviewing a candidate tonight for the open position.

They are not interviewing Shaka tonight...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bobby Lutz. I am surprised Greenberg lasted this long because of what an *** he was to multiple people at Tech; very, very, very few people could stomach and coaches couldn't wait to leave. However, meeting or exceeding expectations helps significantly to have people in power turn a blind eye. Once you fall below expectations the blood is already in the water and the sharks turn on one another quick.

Don't be surprised to see another press conference before the start of fall semester by Weaver announcing his retirement. If you think he looks rough on video, you should see him in person; very sad.

Bobby Lutz. I am surprised Greenberg lasted this long because of what an *** he was to multiple people at Tech; very, very, very few people could stomach and coaches couldn't wait to leave. However, meeting or exceeding expectations helps significantly to have people in power turn a blind eye. Once you fall below expectations the blood is already in the water and the sharks turn on one another quick.

Don't be surprised to see another press conference before the start of fall semester by Weaver announcing his retirement. If you think he looks rough on video, you should see him in person; very sad.

Welcome back...

Personally, I appreciate Greenberg and what he did for the program. He was the right hire at the time.

My gut is that the people who really run the athletic program at Tech (and I'm not talking about Weaver or any of his staff) never warmed to Seth and weren't particularly happy with the way things went this season. The departure of the assistants was the tipping point.

The timing couldn't be much worse, but I think that the program is in much better shape than we were the last time we went shopping for a coach. Keeping my fingers crossed that Hokie nation is going to be pleasantly surprised, but I'll be shocked if that is the case.

Personally, I appreciate Greenberg and what he did for the program. He was the right hire at the time.

My gut is that the people who really run the athletic program at Tech (and I'm not talking about Weaver or any of his staff) never warmed to Seth and weren't particularly happy with the way things went this season. The departure of the assistants was the tipping point.

The timing couldn't be much worse, but I think that the program is in much better shape than we were the last time we went shopping for a coach. Keeping my fingers crossed that Hokie nation is going to be pleasantly surprised, but I'll be shocked if that is the case.

If only many of your brethren shared such a rational approach.

If only many of your brethren shared such a rational approach.

Have to confess that I'm not very rational right now.

I was under the impression (or delusion, as the case may be) that our hoops team had the potential to be very competitive in a couple of years. Now I'm thinking that the best case scenario is that we hang on to our players and find a coach with a system that maximizes their talent and motivates them at the same time. And that this will produce a net result that gets us some kind of post season birth in 2012-2013 followed by another rebuilding process that will last a minimum of one to four seasons.

I may not be spazzing outwardly. But I've got a bad feeling that we're headed for the second act of the Ricky Stokes years.

The great thing about basketball is that it only takes one good recruiting class to make you competitive...Kentucky competes for/wins national championships with new recruiting classes every year.

Not saying we are Kentucky (not even close), but it only takes two or three really good recruits to get you heading in the right direction. With the right coach/good recruiter change can come quickly...with the wrong coach/weak recriuter, we'll get what we've had the past nine seasons...

The great thing about basketball is that it only takes one good recruiting class to make you competitive...Kentucky competes for/wins national championships with new recruiting classes every year.

Not saying we are Kentucky (not even close), but it only takes two or three really good recruits to get you heading in the right direction. With the right coach/good recruiter change can come quickly...with the wrong coach/weak recriuter, we'll get what we've had the past nine seasons...

What about the years before those 9?

Have to confess that I'm not very rational right now.

I was under the impression (or delusion, as the case may be) that our hoops team had the potential to be very competitive in a couple of years. Now I'm thinking that the best case scenario is that we hang on to our players and find a coach with a system that maximizes their talent and motivates them at the same time. And that this will produce a net result that gets us some kind of post season birth in 2012-2013 followed by another rebuilding process that will last a minimum of one to four seasons.

I may not be spazzing outwardly. But I've got a bad feeling that we're headed for the second act of the Ricky Stokes years.

In order to salvage something, you all need someone with the Xs-and-Os knowledge PLUS the charisma to keep the core of players together (plus incoming recruits like Montrezl Harrell, who is going to cut bait if you tarry with the coaching search).

Who that would be, I don't know. Choices are a bit limited.

In terms of established names, you have current coaches like Blaine Taylor (ODU coach, knows the area, best geographical fit); Gregg Marshall (brilliant coach, but you're going to need a HUGE salary to lure him away); Bob McKillop (turned down better jobs, but he's later in his career, though he would give VT an image revamp); Scott Sutton (the best coach you've never heard of...taken ORU to 3 NCAAs and 2 NITs); Jeff Jones (might take a jump back to a major conference); and Steve Prohm (who might sign up for the project if you threw enough money his way).

There are names there to contact, names to lure.

In order to salvage something, you all need someone with the Xs-and-Os knowledge PLUS the charisma to keep the core of players together (plus incoming recruits like Montrezl Harrell, who is going to cut bait if you tarry with the coaching search).

In terms of established names, you have current coaches like Blaine Taylor (ODU coach, knows the area, best geographical fit); Gregg Marshall (brilliant coach, but you're going to need a HUGE salary to lure him away); Bob McKillop (turned down better jobs, but he's later in his career, though he would give VT an image revamp); Scott Sutton (the best coach you've never heard of...taken ORU to 3 NCAAs and 2 NITs); Jeff Jones (might take a jump back to a major conference); and Steve Prohm (who might sign up for the project if you threw enough money his way).

Also, keep the name Mike Rhoades on the radar. He's been making his way around Virginia for a while now, and I think it's about time for him to really make a splash on the coaching scene.

Edited by legend11
Weird multi-quote that I didn't want.

Oh, and Harrell is already gone. Headed to Kentucky. Nicely played, Weaver.

Is Scott Sutton a product of the Eddie Sutton gene pool, like I think he is? If so, no thanks. McKillop has a sweet deal at Davidson. I would be surprised if Marshall would want to leave Wichita St. Mid Major programs like that pay fairly well, and you have a rabid fan base to work with. I don't see Taylor leaving ODU. He has a great facility to recruit with. Jones, would be a good fit, but it would surprise me if he left American. Darren Horn who just left S. Carolina is a good coach, who was at the wrong program and could be a fit. If they get Prohm away from my alma mater, I would be surprised, but it has happened before. (Beamer)

What I would like to see is someone who has a good pedigree and is looking for a chance to come in to a quality school and build their own legacy.

What about the years before those 9?

Utter crap and epic fail, but that doesn't fit into the agenda of running the man out of town on a rocket sled with greased skids.

We had a UVA grad as a coach...took the program to the depths of Hell...

Dell Curry will be the next VT coach....

Somebody's been reading some VT forums! Haha, this has been thoroughly discussed elsewhere, and let's just say that not too many people are enthused by the idea.

Marshall is just another "Greenburg-type" from what I understand...no thanks...

McKillop will be 62 this year...not many years left in him...

You calling Marshall "just another Greenburg-type" is like someone calling the Atlantic "a tiny lake".

He's one of the best 10 coaches in college basketball. I stand by that, too.

You calling Marshall "just another Greenburg-type" is like someone calling the Atlantic "a tiny lake".

I agree with you 100%... Gregg Marshall took Winthrop to 7 NCAA's, went to Wichita St and in the last 3 years, he has won 25, 29 & 27 games. Also defeated the Hokies last season, in Blacksburg, in the NIT. If the Hokies got Marshall, it would be a Home Run to the 2nd deck of center field.

Haha, apparently we have a "Family (Capital F) atmosphere" to consider now when we hire new coaches. So on a scale of 1-10, how well would Marshall fit into our "Family"? He's a good coach, you say? Screw that. He doesn't seem like he would fit into our Family well enough.

Haha, apparently we have a "Family (Capital F) atmosphere" to consider now when we hire new coaches. So on a scale of 1-10, how well would Marshall fit into our "Family"? He's a good coach, you say? Screw that. He doesn't seem like he would fit into our Family well enough.

Yeah, I love that Weaver's setting the bar for your future basketball coach against a Hall of Fame football coach who's the active career wins leader. That makes so much sense, I might just wet myself with enlightenment.

To put it bluntly: "You don't need friends, you need wins."

I'm talking about high-maintenance, pain in the ass to everyone who has to work with/for him...

To put it bluntly: "You don't need friends, you need wins."

UVA, i'm starting to agree way to much with you, but again, you are right on the mark! Everyone seems to want family in here, but if Tech goes out and tries to hire Dell Curry, Bimbo Coles or anyone with previous ties to the program, it will fail. I see no one with the experience to move Tech to the next level. Dell Curry would look like on paper to be a great hire, but he has no experience. Hokie basketball needs wins, period! I believe Va.Tech can be a top 20 Basketball program in the future, but it starts with the coaching staff. Tech has the facilities to move forward, now we need the Coach to get us there.