The ACC is screwed now for football

bhs7695

Big XII & SEC announce bowl game matchup on New Year's Day. There is the final piece to the four team playoff puzzle coming for the future.

http://www.espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7945482/big-12-sec-champions-play-new-year-bowl-game

Big 12, SEC champs to play in bowl

The Big 12 and the Southeastern conferences have announced a deal that will pit their football regular-season champions against each other in a New Year's Day bowl game for five years beginning in 2014, positioning themselves for the expected switch to a four-team playoff.

In fact, SEC commissioner Mike Slive all but said that scenario is coming in Friday's announcement of the agreement between two of the most successful BCS conferences.

"A new January bowl tradition is born," Slive said in a statement. "This new game will provide a great matchup between the two most successful conferences in the BCS era and will complement the exciting postseason atmosphere created by the new four-team model.

“Slive A new January bowl tradition is born. This new game will provide a great matchup between the two most successful conferences in the BCS era.” -- SEC commissioner Mike Slive

"Most importantly, it will provide our student-athletes, coaches and fans with an outstanding bowl experience."

If one or both of the league champions are selected to play in the playoff, another team would be selected for the Big 12-SEC bowl showdown on Jan. 1.

The move will establish the equivalent of the Pac 12 vs. Big Ten Rose Bowl, minus nearly a century of tradition. Those two conferences have pushed for a new format preserving that matchup for the Rose Bowl, which Slive has indicated he doesn't favor.

"Our goal is to provide the fans across the country with a New Year's Day prime-time tradition," acting Big 12 commissioner Chuck Neinas said. "This is a landmark agreement between two of the most successful football conferences during the BCS era to stage a postseason event. The creation of this game featuring the champions of the Big 12 and SEC will have tremendous resonance in college football."

Specific details for the matchup, including host sites, will be announced later.

BCS executive director Bill Hancock has said 11 conference commissioners and Notre Dame's athletic director will present a "small number" of options -- two to seven configurations -- for a four-team playoff to their leagues at conference meetings this summer.

SEC teams have won the past six BCS national titles, including Alabama's victory over LSU in January. The Big 12 and SEC each has had a top-four team in the final standings in 11 of the 14 seasons since the BCS was created, the most of any league.

The two league champions have met twice in BCS bowl games since 1998, both in BCS championship games. In 2010, Alabama defeated Texas 37-21 in Pasadena, Calif., and in 2009, Florida defeated Oklahoma 24-14 in Miami.

The move is especially noteworthy for the Big 12, which was scrambling to hold itself together just two years ago after losing four teams.

Nebraska left for the Big Ten, Colorado went to the Pac-12 and, as of July 1, Missouri and Texas A&M will be in the SEC. The Big 12 is adding TCU and West Virginia this year to remain at 10 member schools.

"This agreement reinforces that the Big 12 is exactly what we've been saying for some time -- a strong, stable, vibrant conference that is at the forefront of intercollegiate athletics," said Dr. Sheahon Zenger, Kansas' athletic director.

Jayhawks coach Charlie Weis agreed.

"What a great day for the Big 12," he said, "To be matched with the champion of the SEC places the two most successful conferences in the BCS era head-to-head. All Big 12 fans should be happy today."

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't nearly as big a deal as the WVU fans want it to be.

There's not even a remote chance that the NCAA and BCS will allow a system that will keep FSU, Miami, Clemson, or VT out of a national title playoff. It's laughable to think otherwise. When all the smoke clears, there will be an 8-team playoff, and the ACC champ will have one of those spots.

This isn't nearly as big a deal as the WVU fans want it to be.

There's not even a remote chance that the NCAA and BCS will allow a system that will keep FSU, Miami, Clemson, or VT out of a national title playoff. It's laughable to think otherwise. When all the smoke clears, there will be an 8-team playoff, and the ACC champ will have one of those spots.

But, what if FSU, Miami, and Clemson AREN'T in the ACC???

She would be your transvestite uncle...

Possible they are...and maybe taking GT with them to.

NGT to the H.

I know three things about this.

One, despite all the conference musical chairs in the last three years, the ACC has not shrunk, but has grown. Two, the ACC still has the Orange Bowl tie-in, and I'd expect an announcement that ND and UConn have joined the ACC or that the Orange Bowl is selecting the MWC or new C-USA as a tie-in before I'd expect an ACC team to jump ship.

Three, and most importantly, even if your tinfoil hat has picked the signal up correctly, UVA's going to be just fine. The Big 10, with its academic synergy, would pick up UVA readily. Worst case scenario, the General Assembly packages UVA and VT together and pimps us to the SEC.

NGT to the H.

I know three things about this.

One, despite all the conference musical chairs in the last three years, the ACC has not shrunk, but has grown. Two, the ACC still has the Orange Bowl tie-in, and I'd expect an announcement that ND and UConn have joined the ACC or that the Orange Bowl is selecting the MWC or new C-USA as a tie-in before I'd expect an ACC team to jump ship.

ND, maybe...UConn, doubtful...at least, as long as the current 14-teams are in the stable. If either the MWC or new C-USA is selected as an Orange Bowl tie-in...both the ACC and the Orange Bowl are screwed...

Three, and most importantly, even if your tinfoil hat has picked the signal up correctly, UVA's going to be just fine. The Big 10, with its academic synergy, would pick up UVA readily. Worst case scenario, the General Assembly packages UVA and VT together and pimps us to the SEC.

Call me crazy, but I see the GA pimping us to the B1G sooner than 'ho'-ing us out to the SEC...

ND, maybe...UConn, doubtful...at least, as long as the current 14-teams are in the stable. If either the MWC or new C-USA is selected as an Orange Bowl tie-in...both the ACC and the Orange Bowl are screwed...

I include UConn under the assumption that the Naval Academy, for some silly reason, continues to reject the ACC's interest. Navy's a decent fit for the ACC: strong academics, strong honor code, 2 automatic wins per year in basketball, fair baseball. It'd work without having to resort to picking up UConn.

ND would be great, no matter how you slice it.

The ACC is just too legitimate to leave it on the doorstep. Hence, I just don't buy the logical leap that the Sugar cementing a Big-12/SEC matchup = ACC IS DOOOOOOMED! People read way, way too much into this sometimes.

Call me crazy, but I see the GA pimping us to the B1G sooner than 'ho'-ing us out to the SEC...

If, and it's a huge if:

(1) The ACC breaks down; and

(2) UVA has some unforeseen difficulty in reaching out the the Big 10/G/?

The GA better damn well save our asses after neutering ourselves in 2003-2004. It's already shown it'll do it for VT.

But in the end, I see the GA lumping us together, no matter what. Even if that means that UVA, though it could get into the Big 10/G/? on its own, would be worse off going to the SEC.

You crazy kids and your MTV street talk.

Werd.

The bowl game tie ins are just reviving some things from the pre-BCS days. I don't see it as a death knell to the ACC, I see it as the last throes of the death of the BCS. The bowl games are figuring out that they keep their clout by dealing straight with the conferences in this new landscape. The BCS is becoming just another bureaucracy, much like the NCAA when it comes to football.

The ACC is just too legitimate to leave it on the doorstep.

You know, I've though that all along, too, but something I read over the weekend really made me start thinking that BHS03 is right (there, I said it). There will be schools that leave the ACC and the ACC is/will be stuck in mid-major hell. And, unfortunately, the ACC has Swofford sinking, er, steering the ship.

The$17million/yr TV deal is going to be FAR behind the rest when the dust settles. The PAC12 just renegotiated $30million/yr deal. When the SEC re-ups their deal, it will probably be in the $32-$35million/yr neighborhood...twice as much as the ACC's.

Look for several certain schools to bolt and the ACC to basically fall apart. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted...

The bowl game tie ins are just reviving some things from the pre-BCS days. I don't see it as a death knell to the ACC, I see it as the last throes of the death of the BCS. The bowl games are figuring out that they keep their clout by dealing straight with the conferences in this new landscape. The BCS is becoming just another bureaucracy, much like the NCAA when it comes to football.

It isn't all about the bowl game...but that is part of the equation. TV deals, 4-team playoff, etc..., it all adds up to numbered days of the ACC....

You know, I've though that all along, too, but something I read over the weekend really made me start thinking that BHS03 is right (there, I said it). There will be schools that leave the ACC and the ACC is/will be stuck in mid-major hell. And, unfortunately, the ACC has Swofford sinking, er, steering the ship.

The$17million/yr TV deal is going to be FAR behind the rest when the dust settles. The PAC12 just renegotiated $30million/yr deal. When the SEC re-ups their deal, it will probably be in the $32-$35million/yr neighborhood...twice as much as the ACC's.

Look for several certain schools to bolt and the ACC to basically fall apart. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted...

I think your comment regarding Swofford ties in well with the TV deal. He could've easily renegotiated something in the $25M range. Hell, I could've renegotiated something in the $25M range. The ACC was forced to renegotiate the deal first to protect his interests, and Swofford's crew was right to see that (who didn't?), but Swofford horribly underbid it. Can't rebid it for a while, either.

Then again, if it doesn't satisfy the whims of the Big 4, then it's DOA as far as Swofford's concerned.

If, IF, the ACC dissolves, then it's going to be very interesting to see what the Big 4 do. The Big 12 and Big 1? have enough room...but ONLY for those 4 teams. A conference stands little to gain by taking all of them, though with the academic reputation of 3 of those 4, the Big 1? MIGHT do it. Particularly with the rest of the ACC joining the fray in that situation, who knows. Duke/UNC are really a package deal...they would throw NCST/Wake under the bus in a heartbeat.

UVA would be fine. Since the GA can't keep its grubby little paws off it, VT would be fine by proxy. UNC, Miami, Clemson, and FSU would be fine. Would anyone else be in a huge hurry to take NCST, GT, Wake, MD, and BC? Where would that leave Pitt and Syracuse? What about Duke, a school with solid basketball/lacrosse but jack else?

I could see BC, Wake, and NCST getting left in the dust. I could see Duke joining the remnants of the Big East or A-10, perhaps even moving down to I-AA, if they don't come with UNC. MD's right on that line, too...they have budget problems out the wazoo and wouldn't mind too much to drop and take that scholly cut that comes along with it.

Then again, I don't see any of this happening.

But in the end, I see the GA lumping us together, no matter what.

However, I think it would be best for UVA and VT to "Fleetwood Mac-it" (ie. Go Your Own Way)...UVA is a much better fit in the B1G than the SEC and VT would fit better in the SEC than the B1G. Keeping us together may blow chances for any of this happening. But allow me to say, I'd be pleased with either conference if we were kept together.

Three things keep bouncing around in my head regarding this entire situation:

--a high-ranking VT official stated that VT would prefer to stay in the ACC "in its current configuration".

--another quote from a high ranking VT official stating that "VT would not be the first to leave the ACC".

--a very good source close to the "situation" stating that we needed to "buckle up" over the next six weeks but VT would be fine and VT fans will be pleased with the outcome.

Take it all for what its worth...

Most of the time, I feel decades older than I am.......I think I'm gonna take a nap now to solidify this statement.

Bet you a dollar you're younger than me...

However, I think it would be best for UVA and VT to "Fleetwood Mac-it" (ie. Go Your Own Way)...UVA is a much better fit in the B1G than the SEC and VT would fit better in the SEC than the B1G. Keeping us together may blow chances for any of this happening. But allow me to say, I'd be pleased with either conference if we were kept together.

Three things keep bouncing around in my head regarding this entire situation:

--a high-ranking VT official stated that VT would prefer to stay in the ACC "in its current configuration".

--another quote from a high ranking VT official stating that "VT would not be the first to leave the ACC".

--a very good source close to the "situation" stating that we needed to "buckle up" over the next six weeks but VT would be fine and VT fans will be pleased with the outcome.

Take it all for what its worth...

I wouldn't mind separation, especially if it can get our football game back in October like it was from the dawn of time until the 1990s, LOL. UVA would be a better fit in the Big 1G, but UVA's got baseball, which the SEC teams seem to like. Going to the Big 1G would seriously hurt our baseball program. Sure, we'd dominate that conference like Alabama would dominate a JV team, but that just makes you weak come regional time.

And your "three things" just go to show me that no one knows what the Hell's going on. ;)

Bet you a dollar you're younger than me...

I'm sure you're right. I'm only 23 (be 24 in October) but I have a serious lack of energy most of the time......also I like knitting (though I suck at it, better at weaving), keeping my shoes shined, and listening to Frank Sinatra.

I'm sure you're right. I'm only 23 (be 24 in October) but I have a serious lack of energy most of the time......also I like knitting (though I suck at it, better at weaving), keeping my shoes shined, and listening to Frank Sinatra.

23? I laugh at you...I was there when MTV started. I saw "Video Killed the Radio Star" when it aired for the fist time...I remember when "MTV" actually meant "Music Television"...

BTW, nothing wrong with shined shoes and Sinatra...but just because Rosie Greer was into needlepointing, doesn't make knitting or weaving cool...:D

Just an FYI...

ESPN SEC Blogger Chris Low on the Finebaum Show just said "he knows beyond a shadow of a doubt that the SEC has their eyes on VT".

Goes along with what my LSU connection has been telling me since before the A&M to SEC talk started...