The ACC is screwed now for football

bhs7695

Just an FYI...

ESPN SEC Blogger Chris Low on the Finebaum Show just said "he knows beyond a shadow of a doubt that the SEC has their eyes on VT".

Goes along with what my LSU connection has been telling me since before the A&M to SEC talk started...

Still don't believe it'd ever happen, but if so, I'd like to believe the GA would cover UVA. But probably not.

As you said, GMan,

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, I think it would be best for UVA and VT to "Fleetwood Mac-it" (ie. Go Your Own Way)...UVA is a much better fit in the B1G than the SEC and VT would fit better in the SEC than the B1G. Keeping us together may blow chances for any of this happening. But allow me to say, I'd be pleased with either conference if we were kept together.

Three things keep bouncing around in my head regarding this entire situation:

--a high-ranking VT official stated that VT would prefer to stay in the ACC "in its current configuration".

--another quote from a high ranking VT official stating that "VT would not be the first to leave the ACC".

--a very good source close to the "situation" stating that we needed to "buckle up" over the next six weeks but VT would be fine and VT fans will be pleased with the outcome.

Take it all for what its worth...

I'm sure VT has contingency plans it place waiting on dominoes to fall into place. VT is just waiting for a catalyst to kick start the whole thing i.e. F$U

23? I laugh at you...I was there when MTV started. I saw "Video Killed the Radio Star" when it aired for the fist time...I remember when "MTV" actually meant "Music Television"...

BTW, nothing wrong with shined shoes and Sinatra...but just because Rosie Greer was into needlepointing, doesn't make knitting or weaving cool...:D

Does it help any that I'm actually an artist and have the ability to make weaving cool? Though not as cool as sculpting, something you can really get your hands dirty at.

Also, I have back problems, constant sinus migraines, terrible eyesight, and my joints ache more and more often (especially when it storms), thus why I feel old.

Edited by ThomasDenton

Also, I have back problems, constant sinus migraines, terrible eyesight, and my joints ache more and more often (especially when it storms), thus why I feel old.

Wait until you get to be my age...

I'm sure VT has contingency plans it place waiting on dominoes to fall into place. VT is just waiting for a catalyst to kick start the whole thing i.e. F$U

I would love to see Tennessee, Bama, Florida, LSU, Georgia and so on in Lane Stadium, but if we were to go to the SEC, it would be a longggg time, till the next Conference Championship.

I would love to see Tennessee, Bama, Florida, LSU, Georgia and so on in Lane Stadium, but if we were to go to the SEC, it would be a longggg time, till the next Conference Championship.

Maybe so, but just playing for an SEC title would garner plenty of respect...I actually think VT could have won the SEC East at least once (2010) over the last couple of years...

Stinespring will hopefully get exposed for the dumba** that he is if VT goes to the SEC. Playing an SEC schedule will hopefully be enough to get rid of him and get some real offensive coaching in Blacksburg.

We scored 14 points against Duke last year. I think this point has been made time and time again. How come you always act like you're speaking of novel concepts when you bring up Stinespring?

I'm glad Notre Dame is still important in one way or another (even though they just want to play them for the money). Part of me really wants ND to stay independent for traditional reasons, but part of me is kind of excited about the possibility of them joining the ACC.

Summary of Clemson AD's radio interview earlier (from TigerNet)...

- Clemson to the Big12 is "blown out proportion" by the media

- ACC can only get better if ALL teams step up in football

- ACC not highly interested in further expansion

- ACC to remain intact, but you never know what's around the corner

- ACC needs to look at a deal like the SEC and B12 did. Not with the Big East though, they have football issues. Maybe with a B10 or ND

- ACC needs to be focused on being relevant in football

- ACC ADs had a teleconference on Friday to discuss what's been going on

- Won't rule out "super conferences" coming into existence

- Clemson is "concerned" about the changing landscape

- ACC is focused on making themselves better instead of teams looking to leave

Well, I only got in on the tail end of it but it seemed to be the same ol', same ol' we've heard before...how good the ACC is, and has been, for VT, geographically, financially, academically, competitively, etc... Didn't really hear anything "earth shattering". As Finebaum said after the segment, either Roth was "sticking to party lines or tempering the enthusiasm."

https://hotfile.com/dl/156548484/689...ebaum.mp3.html

Notes from the interview...not mine, borrowed...

Finebaum starts with the Chris Low comment on his show yesterday and plays the clip from yesterday's show.

He introduces Roth and asks for his comments on what people in Blacksburg are saying. Roth states that the Administration is happy with the new ESPN deal and that they are committed to the ACC...at least publically. The handwringing and consternation is mostly from the fanbase. Finebaum asks, theoretically, if the ACC starts to disband, and the SEC came calling, would Virginia Tech be interested. Roth answered that he thought that Virginia Tech would be a great addition for any league. States that Virginia is the largest state without a professional sports team...and Virginia Tech is that pro sports team for Virginia. Finebaum asks if the fans are happy with the ACC. Roth talks about the fact that like the fans in the SEC, Hokie fans live, breath and eat football 365 days of the year. Really talks about the passion of the fans, how well they travel (points to the FedEx game vs. Alabama and the biggest crowd to watch a football game...in the Redskins stadium). Finebaum then asks how the ACC move has been for Virginia Tech. Roth calls is a homerun for all Virginia Tech sports...its a great athletic and cultural fit. Finebaum then asks how he saw Tech fitting into the SEC, hypothetically. Roth says he thought they would be a very good fit and would be very competitive across the board, as well as competitive in any league, including the Big 10 and Big 12. Finebaum then asks about the relationship with Virginia and if that relationship is a factor where Virginia Tech might go in the future. Says there is tremendous synergy when Blacksburg and Charlottesville are dealing with the state legislature. The final question was if Roth saw this story continuing. Roth stated that the ACC is the best fit for Virginia Tech...today. He also said that he believes Virginia Tech will do whatever it can to maintain that Virginia Tech always competes at the highest level. Finebaum thanked Roth for a good segment and that concluded the interview.

Roth did also say on several occasions that Virginia Tech wants to make sure it always has a seat at the Big Boy Football table.

Latest from Chip Brown:

http://texas.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=&sid=&script=content.asp&cid=1367959&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid

May 22, 2012

Sources: ACC schools starting to put out feelers to Big 12

Chip Brown

Orangebloods.com

Florida State, Clemson, Virginia Tech and Miami have all made informal contact with colleagues in the Big 12 to gauge interest in possible expansion, two sources in the Big 12 told Orangebloods.com Tuesday.

"It appears the Big 12-SEC announcement with regard to a postseason bowl game has set the ACC on its ear," one key Big 12 source said. "There's been no formal contact from schools in the ACC. But there has been contact."

One source put the odds of expansion in the Big 12 at "55 to 60 percent" with Notre Dame at the top of the list, followed by Florida State, then Clemson, Virginia Tech and Miami.

But another source said it's too early to determine if the Big 12 would expand to 11, 12, 14 or if at all. The Big 12 has its annual meetings in Kansas City beginning May 30.

"I don't see anything really heating up until mid-June or even the end of June, when the format for a four-team playoff gets finalized," the source said. "But then it could get interesting."

Multiple sources said Texas would like to see if Notre Dame would move its non-football sports out of the Big East and into the Big 12 before the Big 12 entertains the idea of adding any other potential targets. But it's unclear how many schools in the league share that view.

Big 12 interim commissioner Chuck Neinas told Orangebloods.com Monday that if the Big East could accommodate Notre Dame's non-football sports, then the Big 12 could, too, if the Irish were looking to move.

Orangebloods.com reported last fall that a proposal had been made to Notre Dame to bring its non-football sports to the Big 12 while remaining independent in football.

That proposal would have the Irish play up to six games per year against Big 12 competition while serving out its NBC TV contract, which runs through the 2015 season.

The Irish are already exploring their own third-tier network and could continue that exploration in the Big 12, sources said.

Louisville got strong consideration from the Big 12 when it added West Virginia as its 10th member, in part, because of the working relationship of Oklahoma president David Boren, a former U.S. senator, and U.S. Sen. Mitch McConnell of Kentucky.

Louisville now appears to be down the list of consideration by the Big 12. An internal study by the Big 12 looking at what value would be added by bringing in Big East holdovers Louisville or Cincinnati did not come back favorably for those schools, sources said.

A few sources pointed out the irony of the current situation if schools in the ACC with a strong football brand start to seriously consider a move to the Big 12. Last September, when Boren announced Oklahoma was looking at all of its conference options, Texas explored the possibility of trying to land in the ACC.

But a package of Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State didn't excite the ACC, according to sources. The ACC was concerned about preserving its East Coast identity; was concerned about Texas' Longhorn Network causing too much disruption in revenue sharing; and would have preferred a package of Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri and Kansas if it was going to take any Big 12 schools, sources said.

Shortly after, the ACC announced it was adding Pittsburgh and Syracuse, basically shutting down the possibility of adding any members from the Big 12. One year later, it's the Big 12 that has stabilized with a 13-year granting of television rights (to be announced next week as part of the Big 12's new Tier 1 television deal with ABC/ESPN), while the ACC may have unrest.

Here's Greg Doyel's take. The article is entitled "Florida State was supposed to save ACC, but instead it's killing it":

Florida State will be the death of the ACC. That's my prediction, but it's not a lock because of the Swofford factor. When it comes to conference realignment, ACC Commissioner John Swofford is a bad, bad man. He's sneaky, he's ruthless, and he has no conscience.

In other words, he's "a consensus builder." Wouldn't stun me if Swofford manages to save the ACC, break free from the BCS and join OPEC. Swofford is that good. Or bad. Both.

That's the other side of the story, which we're contractually bound to give.

But the real side? The honest side? Florida State will be the death of the ACC. That's real. That's honest.

And that's irony.

Because Florida State has been killing the ACC softly, like Roberta Flack in shoulder pads, for the past decade by going in the dumper, or as far into the dumper as a well-heeled BCS program from the recruiting-rich state of Florida can go. The trip to trash-ville was the Seminoles' fault, because they wouldn't force out Bobby Bowden when it was obvious (A) he was no longer running the program and (B) whoever was running it wasn't able to win at an acceptable level.

Instead of leading the ACC up the BCS food chain, the Seminoles drove the league down into the territory of the plankton, mussels and Big East. And yes, this was Florida State's fault.

Look, there are some schools that are never going to win big in football -- they lack the facilities, boosters, tradition, recruiting areas -- and lots of them are in the ACC. No need to name names, but ... fine. Duke. Wake Forest. Virginia. Maryland. Boston College. They'll have the occasional good season, but by and large they're just someone on everyone else's schedule. Someone to beat.

Florida State couldn't even do that. And the Seminoles are in that other category -- teams that should always win big in college football for the same reasons Duke and Wake Forest can't: facilities, boosters, tradition, recruiting. When it comes to college football, Florida State was born on third base. It just needed someone to come along and get credit for hitting the triple, and Bobby Bowden did that in the 1970s.

But the Seminoles got picked off third while Bowden wasn't paying attention, and the entire conference suffered. The ACC suffered, too, because of Miami's flop and because Clemson and Virginia Tech were unable to become consistent national powers. They became ACC powers, yes, but that's like being the biggest bully in kindergarten. You're still a little tyke, and the kids at tougher schools will take your lunch money if they get the chance.

So the ACC has gone down, and because the ACC has gone down, Florida State now wants to leave.

Ironic, right? Florida State undermines the ACC with mediocrity, then looks to leave for the Big 12 because, well, the ACC is too mediocre for Florida State.

It's circular, and it's preposterous, but it's true. And when Florida State does join the Big 12 -- which happens soon, unless John Swofford can dig into his cutthroat bag of tricks and add Notre Dame while stealing Oklahoma, Southern California or the Carolina Panthers -- it will have two crushing effects.

One, Florida State football will remain in relative mediocrity. The Seminoles are slowly coming back under Jimbo Fisher, but here's the reality: If you can't dominate in the ACC -- not one team finished last season in the Top 20 -- you can't dominate in the Big 12. Texas, Oklahoma, now Oklahoma State, even Texas Christian ... where does FSU fit in there? Not at the top, I can tell you that. Not an FSU program that has lost eight games in the last two years, including at Wake Forest and at home to Virginia, both last season.

FSU thinks joining the Big 12 will fix its football program, but that's like the bickering couple trying to save its marriage by having a baby: If you're struggling with your current reality, increasing the difficulty level will just make it worse.

So that's one effect of Florida State to the Big 12: The weakening of FSU football.

Another effect: The death of the ACC.

That seems inevitable in this new era college football, where the end game is for the six BCS leagues to condense into four super-conferences and break away from the NCAA. That has been the plan for years, and it's starting to happen -- just not in the way most of us envisioned. Most folks assumed the ACC would be one of those four surviving leagues. We knew the Big East would go away, but we also saw the Big 12 getting devoured by some combination of the Big Ten and Pac-10. Sure enough, the Big East became nothing more than comic relief, while the Big 12 was weakened by the losses of Nebraska, Colorado and Texas A&M.

But Florida State to the Big 12? That would be a game-changer. It's the kind of thing Swofford has done to other leagues, not watched as it was done to his. And if it happens, if FSU goes to the Big 12, it won't be going alone. Clemson would come along too, which would send the vultures to Tobacco Road to pick at the ACC's carcass.

That's how it ends for the ACC. All because Florida State will soon leave for the Big 12 -- seeking a new league after failing its current one.

(Link to the article: http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/19132507/florida-state-was-supposed-to-save-acc-but-instead-its-killing-it)

Here's Greg Doyel's take.

Almost stopped reading at that point, and I really wish I had've. Doyel usurped the title of "Biggest Asshole in Sports Media History" from Jim Vecsey about 5 years ago. He LOVES to kick people when they're down when at the same time not giving anything worthy of praise the respect it deserves. He's so bitter and has so much vitriol that it ruins the quality of his work. See: Shaughnessy, Dan.

Look, there are some schools that are never going to win big in football -- they lack the facilities, boosters, tradition, recruiting areas -- and lots of them are in the ACC. No need to name names, but ... fine. Duke. Wake Forest. Virginia. Maryland. Boston College. They'll have the occasional good season, but by and large they're just someone on everyone else's schedule. Someone to beat...

But the Seminoles got picked off third while Bowden wasn't paying attention, and the entire conference suffered. The ACC suffered, too, because of Miami's flop and because Clemson and Virginia Tech were unable to become consistent national powers.

He's either (1) been living under a rock since 2000 or (2) is a pompous jerk who clearly does no research.

The five schools in the first paragraph, since 2001, have won 2 ACC titles (Maryland in 2002, Wake in 2008) with another winning the regular season title en route to an ACC title game appearance (Boston College in 2007). In that same span, both Boston College (#2) and Virginia (#5) have been ranked higher than Clemson at its apex (#6). Boston College's highest ranking in that span (#2) ties VT's highest ranking ever.

Contrast the records above with Clemson in the 2nd paragraph, who is 1-1 in ACC title games since 2001, with the one win leading to the most embarrassing ACC BCS game since the BCS came into effect. Clemson and VT are 1-fer in BCS title games, with VT's win coming over the 2nd-worst team ever to qualify for a BCS bowl (thanks, auto bids!).

Not to mention, until Al Groh's 2006 campaign, UVA rattled off SEVENTEEN winning seasons in a row. Occasional good season my ass. It's only very lately that UVA's been truly weak.

Aside from Duke and WF (and not even always WF), Doyel doesn't know his rear end from a hole in the ground.

When has WF, Duke, UVA, Maryland, or BC won big consistently though? Thats the point. None of them have ever been in true National Championship talk for more than a fleeting moment if that since Doug Flutie left BC. They are also rans who have made undeserving top 10s for a couple of weeks in a season by beating other also rans.

When has WF, Duke, UVA, Maryland, or BC won big consistently though? Thats the point. None of them have ever been in true National Championship talk for more than a fleeting moment if that since Doug Flutie left BC. They are also rans who have made undeserving top 10s for a couple of weeks in a season by beating other also rans.

Hell, when has Clemson?! That's was Clemson's MO until this year...choke in the bright lights when you have the talent to win. To the big extent, that's VT's, too...VT is 1-26 against Top 5 opponents. That's downright...horrible.

Clemson and VT have been consistent alright...

"He's either (1) been living under a rock since 2000 or (2) is a pompous jerk who clearly does no research."

"Hell, when has Clemson?! That's was Clemson's MO until this year...choke in the bright lights when you have the talent to win. To the big extent, that's VT's, too...VT is 1-26 against Top 5 opponents. That's downright...horrible.

Clemson and VT have been consistent alright..."

Is he an idiot, or was he correct in saying the ACC doesn't win consistantly? Seems like you might be arguing both points here.

"He's either (1) been living under a rock since 2000 or (2) is a pompous jerk who clearly does no research."

"Hell, when has Clemson?! That's was Clemson's MO until this year...choke in the bright lights when you have the talent to win. To the big extent, that's VT's, too...VT is 1-26 against Top 5 opponents. That's downright...horrible.

Clemson and VT have been consistent alright..."

Is he an idiot, or was he correct in saying the ACC doesn't win consistantly? Seems like you might be arguing both points here.

He's an idiot.

I don't believe that my argument's inconsistent. Doyel's claiming that there are 5 teams in the ACC that are for lack of a better word "bottom feeders". He separates two schools in Clemson and VT that are the banner-carriers for the ACC. My point is that the difference between Maryland/Boston College/Wake/UVA and Clemson is minute, and you can even argue that UMD and BC have BETTER resumes than Clemson in the past decade. VT's a notch above, but with that atrocious record against the Top 25 and just 1 diluted BCS win, just how much better is it?