What you are paying for in the price of gas

Global exporters(OPEC) are why prices are going up. Imo produce more ethanol, decreasing the demand for crude oil and driving down demand and thus price.

In that way the U.S. would be producing more of the fuel it consumes and wouldnt be as reliant on foreign producers.

That would be my approach anyway.

Global exporters(OPEC) are why prices are going up. Imo produce more ethanol, decreasing the demand for crude oil and driving down demand and thus price.

In that way the U.S. would be producing more of the fuel it consumes and wouldnt be as reliant on foreign producers.

That would be my approach anyway.

Drill, baby, drill!!! JK.

There are some problems with ethanol, but it might help some. There's probably a bunch of simple solutions but people are either too stubborn to try or too political.

I would rather pay the $9.00 per gallon that Obama wants me to pay than to increase ethanol production by one more stalk of corn. Ethanol is the biggest waste of resources in American history, overtaxing precious farmland to supplement our gasoline intake by less than 10%.

I would rather pay the $9.00 per gallon that Obama wants me to pay than to increase ethanol production by one more stalk of corn. Ethanol is the biggest waste of resources in American history, overtaxing precious farmland to supplement our gasoline intake by less than 10%.

+1

Not to mention the resulting increase in food prices when farmers grow corn for ethanol and not grain for human consumption. The former Federal subsidy for ethanol related corn production led to spikes in prices for both meat and other food products.

Not to mention the resulting increase in food prices when farmers grow corn for ethanol and not grain for human consumption. The former Federal subsidy for ethanol related corn production led to spikes in prices for both meat and other food products.

Great point. For every action...

What about the corn and other grains that are destroyed each year to stabalize the market?

Im not sure how much product is destroyed but that is a HUGE waste. So lets design a type of corn that tastes terrible and is only good for ethanol production.It doesent have to be corn, just about anything can be used to produce ethanol. Regardless of what is used thats the way to reduce Americas fuel bill imo.

What about the corn and other grains that are destroyed each year to stabalize the market?

Im not sure how much product is destroyed but that is a HUGE waste. So lets design a type of corn that tastes terrible and is only good for ethanol production.It doesent have to be corn, just about anything can be used to produce ethanol. Regardless of what is used thats the way to reduce Americas fuel bill imo.

How about we skip the genetic modification and needless waste of America's farmland and start engineering cars that can efficiently burn natural gas or hydrogen? That's the answer. Driving up food prices by usurping valuable farmland isn't the answer. Corn or kumquats, I don't care.

There's so much talk about eliminating poverty. Well, when land is taken for fuel production, and when food prices go up, who's the first to be hit?

Only in America would we burn two gallons of gasoline to produce one gallon of Ethanol and then say that we are conserving fuel.

The use of Ethanol is a total waste of farm land, tax payer money, and a perfectly good waste of a valuable food source.

Ethanol is not the answer, self reliance is the answer. Whether it comes from alternative sources or new inventions, we need to depend on America and not the rest of the world!

I find it incredibly ironic that the same group that talks about ending poverty and hunger, are perfectly fine with burning our own food sources to "save the planet!"

What ever happened to that plan about converting tobacco into fuel? I know some people that were going to start growing tobacco again for a government trial or something. If that would work, it'd be way better than using a food source, tobacco could be used for more than just causing lung cancer, and the tobacco industry would be revived in this area which would really help our economy.

Of course, there's been plans to use just about everything for fuel. One that was interesting was algae. Then there's also the question about improving electric cars.

What ever happened to that plan about converting tobacco into fuel? I know some people that were going to start growing tobacco again for a government trial or something. If that would work, it'd be way better than using a food source, tobacco could be used for more than just causing lung cancer, and the tobacco industry would be revived in this area which would really help our economy.

Of course, there's been plans to use just about everything for fuel. One that was interesting was algae. Then there's also the question about improving electric cars.

Tobacco soundslike a winner to me! better than corn or kumquats. Just dont get rid of Redman. I dont chew often but when I do that is my stuff!

"self reliance is the answer. Whether it comes from alternative sources or new inventions, we need to depend on America and not the rest of the world!"

I dont know what product will be used but this is the answer.

By the way, im all for ntural gas or Hydrogen but imo thats not an immediate answer, its not gonna do a thing to reduce gasoline consumption in the cars that are already on the road. Definately options that need to be explored but not really a fix that is gonna be effective in the next 5 years

Edited by redtiger

Another big problem with Hydrogen cars is that you'd have to put in pumps at gas stations for hydrogen or build new stations and that takes too much time and money. That's what seems to be one of the biggest, if not the biggest, problems.

How about we skip the genetic modification and needless waste of America's farmland and start engineering cars that can efficiently burn natural gas or hydrogen? That's the answer. Driving up food prices by usurping valuable farmland isn't the answer. Corn or kumquats, I don't care.

There's so much talk about eliminating poverty. Well, when land is taken for fuel production, and when food prices go up, who's the first to be hit?

+10

Another big problem with Hydrogen cars is that you'd have to put in pumps at gas stations for hydrogen or build new stations and that takes too much time and money. That's what seems to be one of the biggest, if not the biggest, problems.

Thats what im saying, down the road that is probably a solid fuel source but in the immediate future its not.

Honestly I dont really know a whole lot about any of the "alternative" fuel sources mentioned but anyone sounds a hell of a lot better than what were doing now.

Thats what im saying, down the road that is probably a solid fuel source but in the immediate future its not.

Honestly I dont really know a whole lot about any of the "alternative" fuel sources mentioned but anyone sounds a hell of a lot better than what were doing now.

Hydrogen is a lot farther along that anyone ever gives it credit for, and workable prototypes for using natural gas as automotive fuel exist. There's just no financial backing behind them.

Hydrogen is a lot farther along that anyone ever gives it credit for, and workable prototypes for using natural gas as automotive fuel exist. There's just no financial backing behind them.

I dont think we are questioning how far along Hydrogen or Natural Gas technology is, we are questioning how soon it can put into service on a large scale. Alternative fuels for existing engines are closer to fruition than Hydrogen or NG engines are.

Ethanol is the biggest waste of resources in American history, overtaxing precious farmland to supplement our gasoline intake by less than 10%.

Winner...

• 2 weeks later...

Distributing and marketing the product = $0.33

Distro i can understand some cost...but,why do you need to market gas?

Maybe it's to beat out the competitor (BP vs. Exxon vs. .....).

Im saying IF the use of HFCS is limited in the future the corn industry might welcome the production of corn based ethanol. That would replace some of the revenue that would be lost due to less HFCS being used.