Hatfields & McCoys

Anyone else watching the History Channel miniseries that have been aired the last 2 nights? I thought those 2 were awesome. Can't wait for the final segment to air tonight.

Edited by hokie07
I don't know my television channels as well as BBA does and he called me out on it.

Anyone else watching the Discovery Channel miniseries that have been aired the last 2 nights? I thought those 2 were awesome. Can't wait for the final segment to air tonight.

Nope, I've only seen the one on the History Channel.

But, seriously...I have them on my DVR, so no spoilers.

Nope, I've only seen the one on the History Channel.

But, seriously...I have them on my DVR, so no spoilers.

Zinnnnnng. Good catch.

But, seriously... Can you even "spoil" the story line? Doesn't everyone already know the factual history? I'm getting ready to watch the Titanic in 3D, so don't tell me how it ends!

Anyways, it's a good series. I love it. I'm confident you'll like it a lot when you get to it on the DVR.

Zinnnnnng. Good catch.

But, seriously... Can you even "spoil" the story line? Doesn't everyone already know the factual history? I'm getting ready to watch the Titanic in 3D, so don't tell me how it ends!

Opps, forgot to use sarcasm font. I've heard the story several times and I've seen the outdoor drama at Grandview, but I have heard that the miniseries includes a lot of tidbits that are normally left out of the traditional story. I'm seriously pretty pumped about it.

Unfortunately, I doubt I'll get to watch it until the week after next, though.

BTW, the boat hits an iceberg, the iceberg sinks, and the boat makes it back to port safely.

Opps, forgot to use sarcasm font. I've heard the story several times and I've seen the outdoor drama at Grandview, but I have heard that the miniseries includes a lot of tidbits that are normally left out of the traditional story. I'm seriously pretty pumped about it.

Unfortunately, I doubt I'll get to watch it until the week after next, though.

BTW, the boat hits an iceberg, the iceberg sinks, and the boat makes it back to port safely.

Always wanted to go to the Grandview drama but haven't made it out there. Probably gonna check it out this summer. I don't really consider myself a Hatfield/McCoy expert, but most everything that I've seen in the series has been pretty accurate in my perception (read: good enough to sit through 2 hours and it closely follows the Wiki page).

My only complaint is that the HC could've picked a hotter Rosanna McCoy. Nice body but sort of a dog face. Maybe they were going for the inbred look to complement the WV/KY genealogy, I dunno. It's Hollywood though so put a babe out there for us.

Interesting take on the series from the Herald Leader::

History channel vs. history book: Facts are a casualty of TV's Hatfield-McCoy feud

By Cheryl Truman — ctruman@herald-leader.com

Posted: 11:51am on May 25, 2012; Modified: 10:18am on May 29, 2012

Does the History miniseries Hatfields & McCoys get its feud history right? Well, it's certainly inventive in its interpretation of the fighting, loving, grudge-bearing families and their hangers-on.

Comparing the miniseries with the new book Blood Feud: The Hatfields and the McCoys: The Epic Story of Murder and Vengeance by Lisa Alther, here are a few ways Hatfields & McCoys makes assumptions about the way the ruckus might have unfolded in the name of making TV.

Were Hatfield and McCoy war buddies?

Television: Patriarchs "Devil Anse" Hatfield and Randolph McCoy were Confederate army buddies, covering for each other in the fray.

Book: McCoy was 14 years older than Hatfield and had nine young children. Although Hatfield joined the Confederacy "in a fit of pique," McCoy's wartime activities are not recorded. Alther notes that the McCoy clan is on the whole not as well-documented as the Hatfields, perhaps because so many of its numbers died in the feud.

Were the families Hollywood beautiful?

Television: "Bad Jim" Vance, widely regarded to have begun the hostilities that led to the Hatfield-McCoy feud, looked like Tom Berenger. Hatfield matriarch Levicy Hatfield looked like Sarah Parish, a delicate British actress with fine high cheekbones.

Book: Vance and Hatfield were rugged hill people. Alther's book said Vance "had a condition that made his eyes bulge and roll." Levicy was described by a reporter as the "strongest and most muscular-looking woman I have ever seen (with) intensely black hair, a very broad swarthy face, and a stout, powerful figure."

Who escaped the New Year's Massacre?

Television: Randolph McCoy escaped out the back door alone to shield his family from a Hatfield-sponsored posse that attacked his family's house at the New Year's Massacre, setting it afire. He then ran away, reasoning that the Hatfields would leave his family alone if he were not inside.

Book: The house was already on fire when McCoy escaped with a young grandson and hid out in a haystack or a pigpen. Daughter Alifair, crippled by polio, was in the yard trying to get water when she was shot.

Was McCoy a charismatic leader?

Television: Randolph McCoy had a personal magnetism that drew people to him.

Book: Aside from the attraction held by his wife Sarah, who bore 16 children, McCoy's "nature tended toward gloom. People sought reasons to flee when they saw him coming with his litany of complaints."

How did the feud end?

Television: The feud ended after both sides nobly decided they'd had enough bloodshed and were older, wiser and repentant.

Book: The Kentucky state government, in a burst of effectiveness not seen since, put pressure on the feuders to dial it down so the state could attract outside investment. That investment was in the coal industry.

Not watching the show...too much Hollywood "mini-drama" for me.

Those that know history, know the story...leave it alone, don't ruin it by making it to be something it wasn't...

History channel vs. history book: Facts are a casualty of TV's Hatfield-McCoy feud

Does the History miniseries Hatfields & McCoys get its feud history right? Well, it's certainly inventive in its interpretation of the fighting, loving, grudge-bearing families and their hangers-on.

Comparing the miniseries with the new book Blood Feud: The Hatfields and the McCoys: The Epic Story of Murder and Vengeance by Lisa Alther, here are a few ways Hatfields & McCoys makes assumptions about the way the ruckus might have unfolded in the name of making TV.

Television: Patriarchs "Devil Anse" Hatfield and Randolph McCoy were Confederate army buddies, covering for each other in the fray.

Book: McCoy was 14 years older than Hatfield and had nine young children. Although Hatfield joined the Confederacy "in a fit of pique," McCoy's wartime activities are not recorded. Alther notes that the McCoy clan is on the whole not as well-documented as the Hatfields, perhaps because so many of its numbers died in the feud.

Television: "Bad Jim" Vance, widely regarded to have begun the hostilities that led to the Hatfield-McCoy feud, looked like Tom Berenger. Hatfield matriarch Levicy Hatfield looked like Sarah Parish, a delicate British actress with fine high cheekbones.

Book: Vance and Hatfield were rugged hill people. Alther's book said Vance "had a condition that made his eyes bulge and roll." Levicy was described by a reporter as the "strongest and most muscular-looking woman I have ever seen (with) intensely black hair, a very broad swarthy face, and a stout, powerful figure."

Television: Randolph McCoy escaped out the back door alone to shield his family from a Hatfield-sponsored posse that attacked his family's house at the New Year's Massacre, setting it afire. He then ran away, reasoning that the Hatfields would leave his family alone if he were not inside.

Book: The house was already on fire when McCoy escaped with a young grandson and hid out in a haystack or a pigpen. Daughter Alifair, crippled by polio, was in the yard trying to get water when she was shot.

Book: Aside from the attraction held by his wife Sarah, who bore 16 children, McCoy's "nature tended toward gloom. People sought reasons to flee when they saw him coming with his litany of complaints."

How did the feud end?

Television: The feud ended after both sides nobly decided they'd had enough bloodshed and were older, wiser and repentant.

Book: The Kentucky state government, in a burst of effectiveness not seen since, put pressure on the feuders to dial it down so the state could attract outside investment. That investment was in the coal industry.

This is why I didn't want to watch it. No way it was going to be accurate.

How did the feud end?

Because you can always trust what's printed in books, right? ;) The article even mentions that not much is known (especially about the McCoys, so I'd say that a lot in both the TV series and any book written relies heavily on stories told by people in the families and living in the area and the creators of both just have to pick and choose at times what seems accurate and what doesn't (true though that TV tends to lean toward the parts of stories that look good in the show/movie over what may have actually happened, they do have to entertain after all). Whether it's mostly accurate or mostly fantasy, I still think it's a great TV miniseries and can't wait for the final episode!

I personally don't care whether everything in the miniseries is accurate or not. It's a good show, and I'm enjoying watching it. They took liberties with Superman as well, and everyone knows Lois Lane was a hooker.

i personally don't care whether everything in the miniseries is accurate or not. It's a good show, and i'm enjoying watching it. They took liberties with superman as well, and everyone knows lois lane was a hooker.

lol

Ihought they did a good job with it; a little hollywood yes but not too much imo, they portrayed both families in favorable and negative lights. Not bad TV imo, compared to the other crap on TV really good

and Roseanna McCoy, good enough

Only thing that bugged me was that they didn't give you much time at the end to read about each person and what happened to them. I'm not really a slow reader, but I'm not Speedy Gonzales either. One of my biggest pet peeves.

it bothered me too, I got most of it but couldnt keep up

One thing they did do is kinda explain the importance of someones pig being stolen. Alot of jokes are made about the theft but it really was a big deal.

Edited by redtiger

Only thing that bugged me was that they didn't give you much time at the end to read about each person and what happened to them. I'm not really a slow reader, but I'm not Speedy Gonzales either. One of my biggest pet peeves.

Yeah, they flew through the credits. But I recorded it, so I could back it up and read at a normal speed by pausing it occasionally.

If anyone is interested- forgot to mention that the best book on the Hatfields and McCoys is by Otis K. Rice. Published as part of the Kentucky Bicentennial Bookshelf in 1976, but still in print. Many local libraries should have a copy. It is short but very readable and accurate. Don't agree with quite all of it myself, but anyone with an interest in local history will enjoy it.