best game over the years

Tigers_07

Isn't it strange that, outside the Snow Bowl, a lot of games that would qualify for Graham were heartbreaking losses?

'81 v. Martinsville, state semis. The drunk referee game. Ended the undefeated regular season.

'90 v. Rustburg, state semis. 16-14 hearbreaker. 2nd (and last) undefeated regular season in Graham history.

'93 v. Jefferson Forest, state semis. Just too much talent on the other side.

'95 v. King George, state title game. FINALLY, A GOOD ONE! Withstood the late charge.

'02 v. Grundy, region finals. Already covered.

'03 v. Gretna, state semis. Would be my choice. Graham had more heart, Gretna had the most talent.

'05 v. Richlands, region finals. Really traded punches with Richlands, just not enough.

That takes care of many of the heartbreaks. Except for King George, of course.

I will add one to the heartbreaker list:

1984 Bluefield 21-Graham 20 Graham stopped half a yard short on 2pt conversation late in game. Bluefield won AAA title that year and were loaded. Graham started 7 sophomores and had only 4 seniors. Even my buddies told me we were going to get killed. A loss but still a good memory. Went on to SWD co-championship that year when there were 11 teams.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot one on my list(dont know how I did it), Haysi vs Twin Valley '01. Twin Valley had a running back named Britt Coleman who was all shoulders and thighs and we couldnt do anything with him. I bet they gave him the ball 40 times that game. Each team scored 3 times and everytime they scored they went for 2, so we had to match them. We scored once on a hook and lateral play(James Colleys bag of tricks!) and eventually stopped them on a 2pt conversion. We won the game 23-22. Very exciting game!

Ill chime in on the heart breaker list,

'02 Haysi vs JI Burton. I dont remember the guys name but they had a really fast WR so we double teamed him all night(we played a 4-3 that night) he did nothing! Game was close, not a lot of scoring and was back and forth with neither team able to get anything going against the other defense. They scored and we blocked the xp, we scored and they blocked our xp. End of regulation the score was 6-6. 1st overtime no score, 2nd overtime we couldnt score, they got the ball and punched it down inside the 5 and ran a Power O type play(pulling guard and FB lead off tackle). 3 of us got a hand on the RB but just couldnt get him down, he didnt get much but it was enough to score. Hated to lose that game but it was a good one.

'01 Haysi vs JI Burton was another heartbreaker(the way I remember it we were robbed). It rained all night and got worse as the night went on. Both teams scored twice throughout the game and on the last play of the game JIB threw a pass to the Splitend on a post pattern. Their team rushed the field thinking they had won but he had stepped out of bounds, so no TD, the next play they run the exact same play, he does the exact same thing(he ran out of bounds to get away from our Corner, he wasnt forced out) they score again but this time no flag for ineligible reciever. They won 20-14

Edited by redtiger

As a spectator the two best games I have seen in person both came from the 99 season. Both OT games. One is the Honaker/Clintwood Region D title game that Ironlung has already mentioned. Clintwood seemed to stay in Cover 3 and Miller would throw a hitch guys all over the place. Then get inside the 20 Clintwood would stop them. Hamilton was wore out by the 4th, and I sat there with my uncle and called about every play Cwood ran it had become so predictable. Even when they put Hamilton back in for their last offensive play in regulation and he threw a halfback pass.

Great game of course!!! Wasn't it the next week Honaker hosted eventual state champion Floyd County with Josh Spence at RB and lost 38-35 in another great game that Miller put on a show in a comeback that fell just short!!!!!

I wasn't there for that one, but yes I Honaker lost to Spence and Floyd and it does seem like Honaker run out of time on a comeback bid.

Oh that game was a heart breaker had a chance to tie the game with a chip shot field goal that barely missed.

'02 Honaker v Appalachia was a great one. Appy sneaks one in at the goal line with .5 seconds on the clock after Honaker fumbles deep in Appy territory and wins by a point.

'02 Honaker v Powell Valley. Honaker wins a huge upset 12-9 on a frozen muddy field and afterwards Phil Robbins states "instead of the Super Bowl we played the Toilet Bowl."

Does anyone remember the Grundy vs Richlands game in 02?, Richlands was down I think it was 16-7 with about 2:30 left in the 4th quarter and came back to win 21-16?, The scores maybe a little off but they are close, we got a pick 6 and a punt return for a touchdown?

I try to forget that game.

Right you are, I commended you sir for your historical accuracy!

Seeing as im not from either school, it is excueseable that I dont know such things, but shame on you Ironlung and gcdevils47!

Especially Ironlung! hahaha!

Honaker @ Gate City 2004 I think it was. Honaker scores with I think less than 2 minutes to go to take the lead. Then GC comes out and goes down field to retake the lead and the win. It was the Region Semis and PV was having trouble out of Rye Cove at Bullit Park that day.

'02 Honaker v Powell Valley. Honaker wins a huge upset 12-9 on a frozen muddy field and afterwards Phil Robbins states "instead of the Super Bowl we played the Toilet Bowl."

hahaha

When Haysi beat PV in '05 he was asked after the game "how good is Haysi", his response was basically "good enough to get beat by 3 TDs by Giles", what a jackass!

hahaha

When Haysi beat PV in '05 he was asked after the game "how good is Haysi", his response was basically "good enough to get beat by 3 TDs by Giles", what a jackass!

I miss seeing his quotes in the paper.

As a spectator the two best games I have seen in person both came from the 99 season. Both OT games. One is the Honaker/Clintwood Region D title game that Ironlung has already mentioned. Clintwood seemed to stay in Cover 3 and Miller would throw a hitch guys all over the place. Then get inside the 20 Clintwood would stop them. Hamilton was wore out by the 4th, and I sat there with my uncle and called about every play Cwood ran it had become so predictable. Even when they put Hamilton back in for their last offensive play in regulation and he threw a halfback pass.

Great game of course!!! Wasn't it the next week Honaker hosted eventual state champion Floyd County with Josh Spence at RB and lost 38-35 in another great game that Miller put on a show in a comeback that fell just short!!!!!

Floyd and Spence actually lost the state title game that year to Madison County....it was a close game....Madison County had a running back "Kirkley" that went on to play at Pitt...

hahaha

He was a decent coach....but he was indeed a jackass!! Couldn't stand him....

hahaha

It ended up being a 24 point spread. If he was thinking 3 tds and 3 2pt conversions he wan on the money. ;)

True, we all just figured that he meant that Giles was 3 TDs and a FG better than PV

IMO Robbins was an average coach but an INCREDIBLE program builder, the program and community support at PV was on par with any in the state. In terms of Xs and Os, average at best imo

Edited by redtiger

Oh that game was a heart breaker had a chance to tie the game with a chip shot field goal that barely missed.

'02 Honaker v Appalachia was a great one. Appy sneaks one in at the goal line with .5 seconds on the clock after Honaker fumbles deep in Appy territory and wins by a point.

i thought the score was 12-8 honaker or thats what it said in the high school yearbook.

i thought the score was 12-8 honaker or thats what it said in the high school yearbook.

It was.

In case nobody clicked the link I posted earlier you can see every score of every game your team has played since 99.

Again.... http://www.vhsl-reference.com/index.cfm

Just pick your team in the top left corner from the drop down box.

1997 Bailyesville Vs. Oceana football game,(now currently Westside High in WV). Oceana was our biggest rival and we always had the worst luck them. Our running back Kyle Webb was nicknamed Superman and the morning of the game several Oceana people had drove by his house and put up posters/signs with anti-Superman and kryptonite on them. We go on the road that evening to Oceana and Kyle Webb goes off and scores 7 or 8 td and the final score was around 72-12. Greatest game and one man performance in our school history.

Gate City games over the last decade or so that I got to see...

Did not get to many 2011 games so I will start with 2010.

GC 31 @ Sullivan South 28

Lebanon 0 @ GC 44 because it was nice to pull of such a lopsided victory over a team that knocked us out of the playoffs the 2 previous years.

Gc 27 @ Radford 17

GC 27 vs. Gretna 17 for State.

GC 10 @ Richlands 7

GC 13 @ Lebanon 7 LHS came close to scoring at the end.

Lebanon 21 GC 12 Region D Title game. We lost but it was a wild one!

GC 28 @ Clintwood 27

Lebanon 22 @ GC 31 after losing 33 to 13 to them in Regular season.

GC 14 PV 6 after losing to them 38 to 14 in regular season and first win againt them since 2003.

George Wythe 14 @ GC 21 State Semis.

GC 14 @ Clintwood 17 OT loss.

Appalachia 20 @ GC 7 Seemed like these two were the only ones brave enough to play in that nights downpour. A lot of games postponed that night.

Va High 19 @ GC 21 winning with backup QB

GC 14 @ PV 17 Wild game!

Burton 6 @ GC 28 Burton was expected to win but ended up with their only regular season loss that year.

Richlands 21 @ GC 28 OT win

Honaker 21 @ GC 23

GC 7 @ PV 13 Region D Title Game. I missed the regular season game while on a hunting trip but made it for this wild one.

GC 27 @ PV 12 was close to the end.

PV 13 @ GC 49 was close into the second half but PV started making mistakes and GC capitolized.

Radford 21 @ GC 28 did not seem either team could score in the first half and nether team could stop the other from scoring in the second half. Also was sweet after losing from 99 to that point in the State Semis.

GC 40 Essex 15 for State.

PV 0 @ GC 49 because anytime you could beat PV like that it was good!

GC 20 @ George Wythe 21 OT loss was a shocking wild one!

GC 35 @ PV 41 like most GC/PV games it was great win or lose! I did not make it to the rematch that year because I was on another hunting trip.

There are many games from the 90s and may put them in here later.