College Football Predictions

V-Cats

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You wont see USC and Oregon at 2 and 3 IMO just because they play each other in the regular season and likely in the PAC-12 title game. Better chance of one of them being #1 with Bama/LSU in whichever order 2/3 because they wont be in the SECCG against each other.

Not if USC wins the regular season game (in LA) and Oregon wins the rematch (neutral). That could conceivably put one of them #2 and one of them #3 after the BCS games if a 12-0 team from another conference is above them. Bama could stay #4 if Bama doesn't get into the national title game and wins its BCS game. That would leave...*gasp*...an undefeated FSU getting shellacked in the national title game and dropping to #5.

Favorable schedule? REALLY?!?! This is VT's hardest ACC schedule since joining the conference. VT plays essentially the same team that beat 'em like stray dogs...twice last season...AND it's at Clemson. VT plays a Florida State team that's actually legitimate, and the ACC's best shot at a national title contender. Oh, and lets not forget the Labor Day game...against the only other Coastal team to make it to the ACC Title Game...and VT's biggest foil since joining the ACC.

If your O-Line doesn't rise up, you're a 9-3 team this year.

If we're going Top 5 to end the season...

1. LSU

2. USC

3. Oregon

4. Bama

5. Florida State (seriously...I think people are too quick to write them off based on the past decade)

A few predictions:

1. WVU fans are in for a rude awakening this season. 9-3 would be a sterling success...

2. VT fans are going to see just how Thomas does behind a piecemeal offensive line. I'm going 10-2 for them, almost solely on the strength of a defense that could be #1 nationally. Expect a lot of ~ 17-14 games.

3. Florida State's going to shed the demons this year. If they get by Clemson and VT, they aren't losing. Florida's got its weakest team in 20 years. They play TWO FCS schools. USF is overrated. Their conference schedule is very cake (avoid GT/UNC/UVA, Teams #2-4 in the Coastal).

I'll take 9-3 or 10-2 for VT this season. For some reason, I think this group lays an egg...7-5...

Preaseason Poll

1.LSU

2.USC

3.Alabama

4.Michigan

5.Oregon

I see the National Championship game being played between LSU and Michigan

Michigan is on the rise and has alot to build off of from last year even though the refs cheated Tech out of that game!!

As for the WVU thing, they have stepped up to the big leagues and they are gonna get pushed around for the next couple of years, and I also believe that everyone will finally find out what kind of QB Geno Smith actually is, or lack there of.

VT will get there 10 wins this year as always but I do believe that they beat FSU in the regular season. And lose again to Clemson. I love my hokies but i don't see them winning the ACC. I see them losing to FSU in the championship game.

Since some people seem to be confused about the BCS bowl tie-ins, here's a cheat sheet:

National Championship: #1 vs #2

Rose: Big 10 vs Pac 12

Sugar: SEC vs At-Large

Orange: ACC vs At-Large

Fiesta: Big 12 vs At-Large

The Big East Champion is considered an At-Large team

Since some people seem to be confused about the BCS bowl tie-ins, here's a cheat sheet:

So the Big East no longer has the automatic bid, about time.

And, it should be noted that the at-large selection order this year is:

(1) Rose (if Big-10 or Pac-12 team is selected for title game)

(2) Fiesta

(3) Sugar

(4) Orange

Therefore, my bowl picks would be:

Rose: Wisconsin (Big-10 Champion) v. Oregon (Pac-12 Champion)

Fiesta: Oklahoma (Big-12 Champion) v. USC-West (at-large #1)

Sugar: Michigan (at-large #4) v. Alabama (at-large #2)

Orange: USF (at large #5) v. Clemson (at-large #3)

National Champioship: LSU (SEC Champion) v. Florida State (ACC Champion)

Not trying to make this an ACC Big East argument but the sad thing is that the Big East performed a lot better in BCS bowl games than the ACC.

Not trying to make this an ACC Big East argument but the sad thing is that the Big East performed a lot better in BCS bowl games than the ACC.

No. WVU performed a lot better in BCS bowl games than the ACC.

It's equivalent since Florida State's last national title. Of the non-WVU members of the Big East, there was 1 BCS victory (Louisville over Wake Forest). Since 2000, there has been 1 victory by an ACC team in a BCS game (Virginia Tech over Cincinnati). And those were the only two BCS games between the ACC/Big East in which WVU was not involved.

I can't argue those points. But other than WVU, the other teams just didn't live up to the matchup in the BCS games. UConn and Pitt come to mind in recent years.

National Championship: Oklahoma (Big 12 Champ) vs USC (PAC 12 Champ)

Rose: Wisconsin (BIG Champ) vs Oregon (PAC 12 at large)

Fiesta: Texas (Big 12 at large) vs Clemson (ACC at large)

Sugar: Michigan (BIG at large) vs South Carolina (SEC Champ)

Orange: Louisville (Big East Champ-at large) vs FSU (ACC Champ)

Big East still has an automatic bid. They just don't have a bowl that they are automatically assigned to if their champion is not in the championship game like everyone else.

Nope, they still somehow managed to keep automatic status, they just don't have a lock in to any particular bowl

• 2 weeks later...

I love when everyone picks the cookie cutter teams. Alabama will suffer a loss to Michigan ( Its first out of conference respected team in years ). Lsu cannot beat Alabama twice this year and the same applies with USC and Oregon. Florida State has a sweet team this year, but they have an awfully hard schedule ahead of them. All of the current preseason top 5 will have a loss by season's end. The media will refuse to pick any other team than one of the SEC teams no matter. Although alot of things can happen, I would definately look for LSU or ALabama to be playing in the title game regardless of anything else. I pick USC to be the season's end number 1 team and my dark horse will be Clemson. Clemson will have one of the most explosive offenses in the country with the Boyd-Watkins duo. If only the defense has improved since last years beating from WVU. The schedule is soft enough to slide by undefeated.

Im sorry if I stepped on your toes by stating the obvious with Alabama. Just take a look at their o-o-c play last year if you don't believe me. The only school they played was a grossly overrated Penn State team. As far as cookie-cutter and decisions, apparently you haven't saw the returning squad to USC. It helped make my decision along with their schedule. All they have to do is beat Oregon once, even if the loss comes in the championship. Well, that is if they treat them the same as they would the SEC. Speaking of the PAC12. Do you happen to remember the last time Alabama played one? Utah.. lol!! Now that was was funny.

To be fair, schedules are made years in advance. Especially out of conference home and home series between big name schools. It's not Alabama's fault Penn St. was "grossly overrated" last year. They have played Clemson, Virginia Tech, and Penn St. out of conference recently. That is much tougher than most SEC schools given the fact they play in the toughest conference in the history of college football. For example, they play at Missouri and Tennessee, home against Mississippi St., go to LSU and host Texas A&M in a 5 week stretch this year.

That's a tough 5 weeks.

To be fair, schedules are made years in advance. Especially out of conference home and home series between big name schools. It's not Alabama's fault Penn St. was "grossly overrated" last year. They have played Clemson, Virginia Tech, and Penn St. out of conference recently. That is much tougher than most SEC schools given the fact they play in the toughest conference in the history of college football. For example, they play at Missouri and Tennessee, home against Mississippi St., go to LSU and host Texas A&M in a 5 week stretch this year.

That's a tough 5 weeks.

Alabama's sneaky with schedules. Each year, they tend to play:

1 "big-name" school (this year, Michigan)

1 FCS patsy (this year, Western Carolina)

1 FBS patsy (this year, FAU)

1 FBS school that's sneaky good (this year, Western Kentucky)

What you get is a SOS that looks solid by playing 3 teams Alabama knows they'll beat. It's amplified, because IMO the SOS formulas grossly overvalue playing very highly-ranked teams.

Alabama's sneaky with schedules. Each year, they tend to play:

1 "big-name" school (this year, Michigan)

1 FCS patsy (this year, Western Carolina)

1 FBS patsy (this year, FAU)

1 FBS school that's sneaky good (this year, Western Kentucky)

What you get is a SOS that looks solid by playing 3 teams Alabama knows they'll beat. It's amplified, because IMO the SOS formulas grossly overvalue playing very highly-ranked teams.

I agree that Alabama is sneaky, historically so is LSU and Georgia.

Again, to be fair, most schools tend to play one decently attractive game per season, if possible, and the rest of the OoC schedule is weak at best. Alabama schedule over the past 5 seasons does not look any different than Virginia Tech, Clemson, LSU, Texas or any other top 10-15 program. Sure, Alabama plays Western Carolina and Western Kentucky but Virginia Tech plays Austin Peay and Bowling Green. Which is the tougher road? Both will be heavy favorites.

I don't intend to get "Hokie hater" banter going because I am sure we would be greatly outnumbered on this site. I was just using them as an example based on this site and the fact they usually get killed in the media every year for their perceived willingness to not play anybody OoC.