Bluefield Beavers Srimmages?

ChanteHokie1

C-burg lost quite a bit to graduation but they'll still be a good test.

That's good I always like to see the Beavers scrimmage or schedule RRD schools during the season. Pulaski and Christiansburg have been great preseason tests for the Beavers in recent seasons.

Anyone have any news on Bluefield this season? I haven't even seen anything in the BDT other than an opening practice picture. That's it. Even Charleston Daily Mail has had a piece on Coach Simon.

Thoughts? Expectations?

They'll finish somewhere between 5-5 and 7-3 this season.

That's about what I see too. My breakdown:

Likely wins: Graham, River View, Westside, Oak Hill, James Monroe (5)

Toss-ups: Princeton, Greenbrier East (2)

Likely losses: Charlotte Latin, Gate City, Wayne (3)

I am heading to the scrimmage in the morning since C'burg High School is less than five minutes from my home. C'burg lost a lot of skill position players, but still return a couple of very good athletes. In talking to people at the local recreation center, the strength of the C'burg team will be the offensive line. Someone who has followed them for a number of years said the line had a chance to be the best ever at C'burg. Obviously, going into the season for Bluefield the biggest area of concern is their offensive and defensive lines, so the scrimmage tomorrow should provide a stern test to those two units. Beaver has a couple of kids playing this year that did not play last year, a few of which bring a bevy of talent with them. From what I've been told Bluefield is "loaded" at the skill positions, so hopefully they can piece together a line to block for the speed and talent at the skill positions.

the good thing is princeton, g-east and gate city is all at home whereas last year they were tough road tests for a really young team... lil more experienced team and playin at home should def help

Bluefield "won" the controlled scrimmage where the teams started at the opponent 40-yardline and ran 20-plays; they outscored C'burg 5-3 in touchdowns. In the game-situation (minus live kicks) with two 12-minutes quarters C'burg "won" 14-0.

Overall, Bluefield has potential, but they definitely a work in progress. Beaver also played without three starting position players today, which made it more difficult to get a feel for what they have. I was more impressed by the second team and JV than the varsity because those two squads played more aggressive, especially defensively. The starting defense missed a bunch of tackles and need to develop a tough, hard-nosed attitude; they were too timid on tackles. The second string QB (wore #14 today) looked very sharp passing the football and threw two touchdowns. He is undoubtedly a better passer than Edwards, but Edwards make plays with his feet. The JV squad had two nice little backs (freshmen I was told) that had long TDs run after making several defensive players miss tackles.

Edited by Bluefield_Rules

Bluefield "won" the controlled scrimmage where the teams started at the opponent 40-yardline and ran 20-plays; they outscored C'burg 5-3 in touchdowns. In the game-situation (minus live kicks) with two 12-minutes quarters C'burg "won" 14-0.

Overall, Bluefield has potential, but they definitely a work in progress. Beaver also played without three starting position players today, which made it more difficult to get a feel for what they have. I was more impressed by the second team and JV than the varsity because those two squads played more aggressive, especially defensively. The starting defense missed a bunch of tackles and need to develop a tough, hard-nosed attitude; they were too timid on tackles. The second string QB (wore #14 today) looked very sharp passing the football and threw two touchdowns. He is undoubtedly a better passer than Edwards, but Edwards make plays with his feet. The JV squad had two nice little backs (freshmen I was told) that had long TDs run after making several defensive players miss tackles.

Saw on wsls out of Roanoke that Christiansburg lost a lot to graduation, but they should still be very solid, coach Cromer has built a very solid program. I would be optimistic about this performance against them. I'm just hoping for a good game on the 24th. Graham will be more of a challenge for them this year but I don't know if they can contain Bluefield'speed.

Graham's tackling has definitely improved....if they can sustain some long drives (they have 3 or 4 good RB's).....and control the clock...you never know what could happen...but I really do expect it to be a better game.

Appreciate the info!

Saw on wsls out of Roanoke that Christiansburg lost a lot to graduation, but they should still be very solid, coach Cromer has built a very solid program. I would be optimistic about this performance against them. I'm just hoping for a good game on the 24th. Graham will be more of a challenge for them this year but I don't know if they can contain Bluefield'speed.

Graham's tackling has definitely improved....if they can sustain some long drives (they have 3 or 4 good RB's).....and control the clock...you never know what could happen...but I really do expect it to be a better game.

Once again I believe it will all come down to how well the offensive line performs this season for Bluefield. It should be a good game on Aug.24. I'm looking forward to it. I believe Graham will have a good season this year if the coach and the kids have worked as hard as I've heard everyone say they have in which I don't doubt.

The 2nd string QB was #12 for Bluefield and his name is RJ Bourne. The kid has a VERY nice arm and really looked pretty sharp out there today. I would love to see the kid get a chance to sling it around a little this season. DJ also had a couple of really nice throws today as well and seemed to be running well as usual. Can't wait till Aug 24 to get this season started!