Carroll & Pulaski To MED or TRD

ChanteHokie1

I guess I'm not helpin Region D's cause here, but Richlands and Tazewell would be a better "fit" for Region D geographically than for Region C, IMO. Marion would be a better "fit" for Region C geographically obviously. So I'm not sure why "D" wouldn't want them at this point.

And as far as districts, in the CMD its certainly not as much as a numbers issue. Obviously if you throw them into the BDD with the smaller schools the numbers game comes into play, but the funny thing is I think the BDD teams can hold their own with those schools in every sport minus RHS football.QUOTE]

I think the problem is most/all of the Region D schools are happy with the districts as they are now. Marion/Tazewell/Richlands to Lee/Union/Central are long trips and I dont think the D schools wanted that. If Tazewell/Richlands or Marion were located where Lebanon is I dont think it would be an isssue. So the solution would be to redo the districts and they didnt really want that either.

Obviously something is gonna have to be done and personally I think its completly revamping SWVA(BDD, LPD, CMD, CD, HD, SWD, MED and TRD) into large and small school districts.

Putting any of the Tazewell co schools in the BDD is a bad idea, no way Hurley/TV or even worse Council should have to compete against schools that much larger. But you are right, the BDD schools could compete(more or less) with Tazewell, Richlands and Marion.

Region D technically has no standing in this discussion, as the Regions will cease to exist under the proposed new playoff format. Also, the "districts as they are now" are going away in terms of the way that they fit into the state championship competition structure. If I'm reading things correctly, the districts will function in a very similar manner to NCAA conferences. They will be largely self-autonomous units that exist primarily for the purpose of guaranteeing a minimum number of games for the overall schedule on an annual basis. Beyond scheduling purposes and matters of pure pride, membership in any given district isn't terribly important. To drive that point home, I haven't seen anything that even suggests that district champions will be guaranteed particular seeding in the state playoff structure.

Under the new playoff structure, the Conferences (using the VHSL term here) will replace both the current Districts and the current Regions. Consequently, most of the current Region D schools will never lay eyes on Abingdon, Richlands, Tazewell, and/or Marion unless they schedule them as a nondistrict opponent.

Confusing enough? I think so.

Edited by RichlandsAlum

Trying real hard to be concise here, so bear with me.....

The argument about including schools within Regions under the VHSL's sweeping realignment plan is a waste of time, because the Regions will not exist any more. Qualification for postseason play will be determined according to a school's particular Conference within the overall 6-A classification system. The current proposal (as of this past Wednesday) statewide can be viewed at the following URL:

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/rr-2013-15-Initial-Proposed-Conferences.pdf

One thing you will note is that Marion, Richlands, and Tazewell are in a separate Division 2-A Conference (along with Graham, Grayson, and Grundy) and Abingdon is in a completely different Division (3-A) altogether.

So what exactly are the current "Region D" schools getting torqued about?

I would think that wherever they go, the district would welcome the challenge....

Franklin Co. should be the ones concerned about travel...

In a nutshell, that's what I was attempting to say (but futbolking did a much better job of it).

Franklin County only has two realistic options -- the Seminole or the RRD. Since both have been very competitive in recent history, I doubt that the level of competition is really any issue.

My guess is that frequent trips up Highway 220 and beyond to play in the RRD is a more desirable proposition than using Highways 43 and 40 to play in the Seminole.

Trying real hard to be concise here, so bear with me.....

The argument about including schools within Regions under the VHSL's sweeping realignment plan is a waste of time, because the Regions will not exist any more. Qualification for postseason play will be determined according to a school's particular Conference within the overall 6-A classification system. The current proposal (as of this past Wednesday) statewide can be viewed at the following URL:

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/rr-2013-15-Initial-Proposed-Conferences.pdf

One thing you will note is that Marion, Richlands, and Tazewell are in a separate Division 2-A Conference (along with Graham, Grayson, and Grundy) and Abingdon is in a completely different Division (3-A) altogether.

So what exactly are the current "Region D" schools getting torqued about?

Whose gettin torqued? With no clarity on these changes these are all still proposals, we really don't know exactly whats going to happen at this point, right? This is a discussion board, and I was just responding to a post about geographic "fit" that came about due to the comment Region D didn't want RHS, THS, Marion but wanted Abingdon, from your fellow tornado. I could really care less where they put them, up until a couple of years ago, we played Tazewell and Abingdon and still play RHS. No torquing here, except work torquing my brain.

When they do change to the 6A classification, I understand that Regions will no longer exist and conferences be in place. But this will not happen before RHS,THS drop to D-2, right? So the next cycle, starting next year, regions will still exist, am I right? Or will this move faster once officially passed?

Thanks for taking the time to try to clear up some stuff about some the "proposed" changes in the future with all this VHSL alignment though.

In a nutshell, that's what I was attempting to say (but futbolking did a much better job of it).

Franklin County only has two realistic options -- the Seminole or the RRD. Since both have been very competitive in recent history, I doubt that the level of competition is really any issue.

My guess is that frequent trips up Highway 220 and beyond to play in the RRD is a more desirable proposition than using Highways 43 and 40 to play in the Seminole.

I agree with you on the travel ease up 220 to play in RRD, Rocky Mount is really nowhere from all the Roanoke schools, say 40 min bus ride??? Farther travel of course to the NRV schools and CC, but overall not as bad as the SD travel times.

Whose gettin torqued? With no clarity on these changes these are all still proposals, we really don't know exactly whats going to happen at this point, right? This is a discussion board, and I was just responding to a post about geographic "fit" that came about due to the comment Region D didn't want RHS, THS, Marion but wanted Abingdon, from your fellow tornado. I could really care less where they put them, up until a couple of years ago, we played Tazewell and Abingdon and still play RHS. No torquing here, except work torquing my brain.

When they do change to the 6A classification, I understand that Regions will no longer exist and conferences be in place. But this will not happen before RHS,THS drop to D-2, right? So the next cycle, starting next year, regions will still exist, am I right? Or will this move faster once officially passed?

Thanks for taking the time to try to clear up some stuff about some the "proposed" changes in the future with all this VHSL alignment though.

In my litany of posts on this topic, I never meant for my responses to be taken as personal in nature relative to the original post. Instead, I was attempting to advance the previously posted knowledge and carry it forward (like a relay of sorts). That's certainly not apparent given both the format and my digital blathering, so forgive me if you took personal offense to anything I posted previously.

The current cycle for classification began in July 2011 and runs through the end of June 2013. The next cycle, beginning June 2013, is when the Regions cease to exist and the schools in question drop to Division 2. Thus my rather indelicate point about Region D -- in targeting Richlands, Tazewell, and Marion, they are effectively complaining about an issue that doesn't even exist. And once the realignment does take place, it probably won't impact the current members of Region D.

I don't know if I'm clarifying things because I'll confess that I don't have a complete grasp on all the fine points myself. This is an enormously complicated proposal -- and the actions of the current Region D administrators certainly underscores that point.

thing is, it's not ONE proposal... it's a proposal (6 Class, which still isn't official), and the seperate 'who's going to what District' thing, which is done every 2 years. That 'thing' won't matter (kindA) IF 6 Class does go into effect... if it were definite, it be a lot less complicated. Since no one is 100% sure on it, the R/M/T/A thing is causing a bigger stir than it should, just from the confusion standpoint.

Let's say 6 Class is shelved for 2 years, until everything is figured out. Why would D not want R/T/M? Only 1 reason - competition. If R&R did send them to C, you know what else woulda happened? The LPD split woulda happened, Union & Central woulda went to the CMS, and the Hogo woulda been moved to D, because of the huge disparity between C & D.

Better just to not think about it ... nothing R&R does has made sense the past coupla years.

----

As to Carroll... any proposal can be made... rumor is prob. tru, but that doesn't mean it'll be approved. Nothing this side of Roanoke was approved last time, so why should that change? They already have their minds made up.

thing is, it's not ONE proposal... it's a proposal (6 Class, which still isn't official), and the seperate 'who's going to what District' thing, which is done every 2 years. That 'thing' won't matter (kindA) IF 6 Class does go into effect... if it were definite, it be a lot less complicated. Since no one is 100% sure on it, the R/M/T/A thing is causing a bigger stir than it should, just from the confusion standpoint.

Let's say 6 Class is shelved for 2 years, until everything is figured out. Why would D not want R/T/M? Only 1 reason - competition. If R&R did send them to C, you know what else woulda happened? The LPD split woulda happened, Union & Central woulda went to the CMS, and the Hogo woulda been moved to D, because of the huge disparity between C & D.

Better just to not think about it ... nothing R&R does has made sense the past coupla years.

----

As to Carroll... any proposal can be made... rumor is prob. tru, but that doesn't mean it'll be approved. Nothing this side of Roanoke was approved last time, so why should that change? They already have their minds made up.

There were only two variance requests approved statewide. One was for a school in the Tidewater District and the other was for Park View-South Hill. My take is that the Executive Committee is hell-bent on making these big changes. The whole thing (6 class realignment included) looks a lot like a done deal to me.

The VHSL could've simplified things significantly by dissolving all of the existing districts and simply realigning schools based on the proposed Conferences. (For example, Conference 39 is essentially the historic soul of the old SWD. And as a long-term outcome, I wouldn't be shocked to see the districts move themselves toward that very kind of alignment.)

The fact that they didn't do it that way is kind of interesting.

In my litany of posts on this topic, I never meant for my responses to be taken as personal in nature relative to the original post. Instead, I was attempting to advance the previously posted knowledge and carry it forward (like a relay of sorts). That's certainly not apparent given both the format and my digital blathering, so forgive me if you took personal offense to anything I posted previously.

The current cycle for classification began in July 2011 and runs through the end of June 2013. The next cycle, beginning June 2013, is when the Regions cease to exist and the schools in question drop to Division 2. Thus my rather indelicate point about Region D -- in targeting Richlands, Tazewell, and Marion, they are effectively complaining about an issue that doesn't even exist. And once the realignment does take place, it probably won't impact the current members of Region D.

I don't know if I'm clarifying things because I'll confess that I don't have a complete grasp on all the fine points myself. This is an enormously complicated proposal -- and the actions of the current Region D administrators certainly underscores that point.

no offense was taken here, didn't mean to sound like i was ranting when i was really just blundering i guess!! lol ... this is a mess as we've all said before and i think ive read post after post after post of proposal after proposal and i think im mixin a few of em up anyway. but i didn't mean to get into all this with a post about geographic locations of the schools, but i was serious about the appreciation for trying to clear up some stuff, no sarcasm there and i really didn't mean for you or anybody to have get into it too deeply!!! I'm sure people are tired of hearing the same ole stuff and tired of explaining time after time what the interpret these "proposals" to mean.

anyway, have a great rest of the day!

no offense was taken here, didn't mean to sound like i was ranting when i was really just blundering i guess!! lol ... this is a mess as we've all said before and i think ive read post after post after post of proposal after proposal and i think im mixin a few of em up anyway. but i didn't mean to get into all this with a post about geographic locations of the schools, but i was serious about the appreciation for trying to clear up some stuff, no sarcasm there and i really didn't mean for you or anybody to have get into it too deeply!!! I'm sure people are tired of hearing the same ole stuff and tired of explaining time after time what the interpret these "proposals" to mean.

anyway, have a great rest of the day!

No worries, OrangeStreak. It's all good.

VHSLHelper had a good suggestion. As confusing as all of this is, it's probably best not to worry too much about it.

The VHSL could've simplified things significantly by dissolving all of the existing districts and simply realigning schools based on the proposed Conferences. (For example, Conference 39 is essentially the historic soul of the old SWD. And as a long-term outcome, I wouldn't be shocked to see the districts move themselves toward that very kind of alignment.)

If they would do this, it would clear things up tremendously. If they are dead set on going to 6 classifications, I can't think of any reason not to do this.

The question was asked (and im paraphrasing) "why didnt the Reg D want R, T, M?" and it was insinuated that the reason was fear of competition. I was arguing that it wasnt. anyway no offense taken on my part

With some teaking the proposed confernces would make good districts imo but maybe im looking at it wrong, in my mind districts are still important(when if this becomes reality they wont) so who care who is in youre district? as long as there arent HUGE enrollment disparities(Richlands in the BDD or Marion in the Hogo even though alot og the Hogo schools play Marion already).

IF, the move was to big and large school districts then the Big schools from the CMD, SWD, LPD and Grayson can be split 3 different ways(keeping travel time to a minimum) depending on if the schools/VHSL want 2-3 districts. Lebanon can fit into alot of places.

Edited by redtiger

The conferences do make a lot of sense. If Burton and Clintwood play everyone in the LPD and Conference 48 they will have a nine game schedule- saves a lot of searching for opponents.

The VHSL may indeed want to do away with districts- would personally like to see them survive with four or five schools- where each team plays one another home and home. In a four team district you would have six district games against your biggest rivals. Think it would help both gate receipts and travel time- both of which in these economic times will assume greater importance.

Let's assume that the 6-class proposal doesn't pass (or is delayed two years) and Region D survives, at least for the time being....

Why not just put Lee (and even Gate City) into the LPD? No trips from Lee to Marion, Tazewell, Richlands, etc.

Plus if Gate City were in the LPD, that would leave them with six schools and the CMD with seven.

LPD: Lee, GC, Union, Central, Burton, Clintwood

CMD: Tazewell, Richlands, Lebanon, VHS, Abingdon, Marion, Battle

Let's assume that the 6-class proposal doesn't pass (or is delayed two years) and Region D survives, at least for the time being....

Why not just put Lee (and even Gate City) into the LPD? No trips from Lee to Marion, Tazewell, Richlands, etc.

Plus if Gate City were in the LPD, that would leave them with six schools and the CMD with seven.

Makes all kind of sense.

But isn't there some longstanding political feud between Gate City and the LPD? That might be a total fabrication on my part, but there's got to be some reason why GC is in the CMD instead of the LPD right now.

Makes all kind of sense.

But isn't there some longstanding political feud between Gate City and the LPD? That might be a total fabrication on my part, but there's got to be some reason why GC is in the CMD instead of the LPD right now.

It makes sense, that's the biggest problem with that....lol !

I asked the same question and the answer I got was that GC has issues with Wise County. I dont know the details and dont want to speculate. But the important thing is GC will not willingly join the LPD. In the future I think the VHSL will make the decision for them.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/highschool/wb/313394

Schools file 2nd appeals with VHSL over Franklin County

Pulaski County and Carroll County oppose the Eagles' proposed move to the River Ridge.

By Robert Anderson

981-3123

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

excerpt:

Carroll County's appeal also asked that if Franklin County - the state's 25th-largest high school - is placed in the River Ridge that the Cavaliers be assigned to the Mountain Empire District.

The Mountain Empire's largest school - Graham - has less than half of Carroll County's enrollment of 1,195 students.