Major new development for Bristol

http://www.timesnews.net/article/9050366/its-big-and-its-going-to-set-this-region-on-end-bass-pro-shops-to-anchor-huge-bristol-complex

I guess this might be the final nail in the coffin for the Bristol Mall. But what I want to know is this: Is this the same development that was supposed to be between Exits 5 and 7 in Bristol, VA, or are they building major retail centers in both Bristols and Kingsport? This one is apparently going next to the TN welcome center at Exit 1 and will be anchored by Bass Pro Shop and will include restaurants, retail stores, and a 14 screen movie theater. Well, the mall had a good run.

http://www.timesnews.net/article/9050366/its-big-and-its-going-to-set-this-region-on-end-bass-pro-shops-to-anchor-huge-bristol-complex

I guess this might be the final nail in the coffin for the Bristol Mall. But what I want to know is this: Is this the same development that was supposed to be between Exits 5 and 7 in Bristol, VA, or are they building major retail centers in both Bristols and Kingsport? This one is apparently going next to the TN welcome center at Exit 1 and will be anchored by Bass Pro Shop and will include restaurants, retail stores, and a 14 screen movie theater. Well, the mall had a good run.

My guess is that this project will kill the other 2 (especially the one at Exit 5). I can't see this area supporting 3 major projects of this size.

http://www2.tricities.com/news/2012/aug/14/3/developer-first-land-bass-pro-shops-among-several--ar-2128998/

Apparently, there will be sites at all 3 locations. The guy in charge of the Bristol VA project even says that they have 8 letters of intent from different businesses and have less to do to their property, so they'll be up and running before the Bristol, TN project (which is expected to open late 2013, early 2014).

http://www.timesnews.net/article/9050760/cabelas-buiding-85000-square-foot-outlet-in-bristol-va

Cabela's buiding 85,000 square foot outlet in Bristol, Va.

Cabela’s Incorporated announced today plans to bring the Cabela’s shopping experience to customers in Bristol, Va., and the surrounding area.

Construction is scheduled to begin in 2013 and Cabela’s expects to open the location in 2014. It will be the first Cabela’s store in Virginia.

The announce was the second major retail development for the Bristol area. Last week Bass Pro announced it would be locating a outlet in Bristol, TN.

The 85,000-square-foot store, to be located in The Falls development area close to Interstate 81’s Exit 5 along Lee Highway, will be built in Cabela’s trademark style with an exterior of log construction, stonework, wood siding and metal roofing. Large glass storefronts will allow customers to view much of the store’s interior as they approach the building.

The interior will highlight Cabela’s next-generation layout, which is designed to maximize product assortment and availability while surrounding customers in the outdoor experience with wildlife and outdoor memorabilia displays. It will feature thousands of quality outdoor products, museum-quality animal mounts, a Gun Library, Bargain Cave and Fudge Shop, as well as other unique features.

“Cabela’s has a deep customer base not only in and around Bristol but across the region, people who share our passion for the Great Outdoors,†said Tommy Millner, Cabela’s Chief Executive Officer. “These outdoorsmen and women have supported Cabela’s for a long time, shopped with us via our catalog and online, so it was time to bring them the unique Cabela’s retail experience.â€

The store will be an anchor tenant of The Falls, a new retail development scheduled to accommodate about 1.5 million-square-feet of retail space.

“We are proud that Cabela’s has chosen Bristol as their first location in Virginia,†said Bristol, Va., Mayor Jim Steele. “The unique style of their retail locations parallels the natural beauty of Virginia. This, coupled with Cabela’s commitment to providing exceptional experiences for the outdoor enthusiast, makes The Falls a perfect location for a shopping stopover for locals and those traveling to Bristol.â€

Hopefully this development will bring in some "new" restaurants to the Bristol market. Carrabba's, PF Changs, Macaroni Grill, Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, Capitol Grill........ ummmm i can dream. lol

How about a Bubba Gumps, Joes Crab Shack, Hard Rock Cafe, etc.....ya know, something exotic and more than just a steakhouse. Also, I'd pee my pants for a Guitar Center.

How about a Bubba Gumps, Joes Crab Shack, Hard Rock Cafe, etc.....ya know, something exotic and more than just a steakhouse. Also, I'd pee my pants for a Guitar Center.

You'd sooner get an NFL team to move to Bristol, VA than you will any of those three restaurants. Those restaurants only go to places where they can be packed 365 days per year. Outside the first couple of weeks, once the novelty wears off, Bristol can pack 'em in like that on 4 days...the Saturday/Sunday of race weekends.

Besides, Hard Rock is very savvy about overextending itself. It's a big freaking deal when your city gets a Hard Rock, and you'll always remember the first time you ever ate at one. I remember mine: Baltimore, MD. Bristol, TN's population is just over 25K. Bristol, VA's population is just under 18K. There are 285 cities in the United States with a 2010 census population over 100K. Maths don't add up.

I think Carrabba's and Macaroni Grill are good first steps.

Edited by UVAObserver

More than just a steakhouse? So you want a touristy restaurant with mediocre food?

Not sure what your definition of exotic is, but none of the restaurants you listed are considered exotic by most people.

More than just a steakhouse? So you want a touristy restaurant with mediocre food?

Not sure what your definition of exotic is, but none of the restaurants you listed are considered exotic by most people.

Bubba Gumps food is amazing. Expensive, but amazing. And wouldn't a more "touristy" restaurant invoke tourism? We'll likely never know.

I just want a Guitar Center. Three hours away is jut unacceptable. Lol.

Bubba Gumps food is amazing. Expensive, but amazing. And wouldn't a more "touristy" restaurant invoke tourism? We'll likely never know.

Doubtful. Do people drive to Myrtle Beach just to eat at Dick's Last Resort?

Most people don't drive far away to eat at a Bubba Gumps or a restaurant like that solely for the food. Those places do well because they are located at a destination where people vacation and tourism is abundant.

Put a beach in Bristol and then you'll get a few of those restaurants.

Most people don't drive far away to eat at a Bubba Gumps or a restaurant like that solely for the food. Those places do well because they are located at a destination where people vacation and tourism is abundant.

I've drove to Gatlinberg solely to eat at Dicks and Bubba Gumps

Don't get me wrong, Bubba Gumps has decent food...but I wouldn't call it amazing.

And like H07 said, those restaurants are only in places that have massive tourist flow already, they are not the attraction for tourists.

Not saying I don't visit fun places like this when I'm on vacation, but I would much rather have a nicer restaurant with better food than one of the touristy places with decent food.

Or, just lift all the EPA regulations and let it happen naturally in the next couple hundred thousand years.

I keed.