Admit it, you were surprised...

BigO

Abingdon 956 VAhigh 674 (from the VHSL webpage) Like ThomasDenton said, not a huge gap but it is an advantage.

Agree to disagree on the "huge/not huge" debate. I will still contend that a 30% gap is very large and significant when we're talking about schools with small enrollments compared to the rest of the state.

AHS played a great ballgame compared to what most everyone on here expected...except for AHS fans. Obviously we need to work on punt blocking and get rid of some mistakes. But even with the pick 6 we would have won the game without the punt blocks. Those 2 blocks provided VHS with 9 points...or 10..can't remember if kicker missed the XP after a punt block or the pick 6. Our defense was stellar and our offense had some bright spots. Bowles' playing calling was good....his clock management at the end of the game was less than stellar. VHS didn't score at all in the second half and the D kept them from making it around the corner and filled the gaps well on that counter reverse play that they ate us up with last year. It will be interesting to see if it was our D that played lights out or if VHS' offnense was lackluster. The Bristol paper predicted a blowout by VHS...you guys on here predicited a blowout by VHS....didn't happen.....so man up and admit that AHS surprised you. Yes, I know its early season and there's alot of football left...but I think AHS has some great things to work on that will hopefully only improve their play. We didn't run the ball very effectively and that was a product of a pretty good run defense. I am anxious to see the outcome of the JSB/VHS game. That will really set the stage for the game between AHS and JSB, as far as expectations go. I hate we lost but I love the fact that our guys never quit and they shocked the hell out of their haters. Man up for those who predicted a huge loss for them tonight...admit that AHS shocked you.

You do not ask for, or demand respect ! It is earned.....plain and simple, and it is earned over a period of time, not by almost winning a game !

Agree to disagree on the "huge/not huge" debate. I will still contend that a 30% gap is very large and significant when we're talking about schools with small enrollments compared to the rest of the state.

In my opinion and that's all this is of course , that if both schools are within around 150 or maybe even 200 then that would not be a big advantage, but when the number starts getting up to 300 or more than that can be a big advantage. Many more athletes to chose from.

I played for a very big school in Md and I played for a medium sized school here in Va, and it does make a difference.

In Md, we had so many kids out that we had to have 2 cuts just to get down to the season numbers. If you even made the team, you were a pretty good athlete or football player.

I know it's not always the case, but most of the time, with everything else being equal, the bigger school will usually have a advantage over the smaller school because of the number of athletes to chose from.

That's why i really respect some the smaller schools especially in our part of the state that compete and win against the bigger schools on a regular basis.

How does it go? "Almost only counts in horseshoes" or something. I've never in my life seen someone brag about how good they supposedly are after getting beat.

You are very correct Rebel1, but be careful because even so that's the case, you may be called an "idiot" as well

the birds can come on up to hurricane stadium since they got beat lastnight..you can watch the storm rise...its hurricane season

I am not defending the birds but will like to comment on your school and their current action of trying to enter the Hogo District. We, myself included, get on Abingdon for playing smaller schools; however, I support a small school. I spoke to a well respected Hogoheegee coach last week and he said that Marion is wanting to come to the Hogo. He said that you are sighting travel reasons but lets be real, its because of competition. You guys want to win some games against smaller schools. Well, for that, I place you, Marion in the same category as Abingdon. Shame on You!

You do not ask for, or demand respect ! It is earned.....plain and simple, and it is earned over a period of time, not by almost winning a game !

This is my last post on this thread because you all obviously and intentionally missed my point. I have never ever demanded respect. All I have ever intended was to say don't disrespect kids that are doing their level best to improve a programs image..that they themselves did nothing to damage in the first place. This place is littered with sheep...just like the guy I quoted above. He reads a response from some poster that says I demanded respect and he falls in line like a sheep following a shepherd. Of course I'm not proud we lost.. I hate it. My point was, and continues to be, that people on this forum berate AHS regularly and say we are terrible. The BHC picked us to lose like 30-6 or something. Everyone berated our scrimmage play. Come on guys, you remember that, don't you? We are headed in a good direction and our talent level is on the rise. So, apparently, the measuring stick is to beat Richlands. If thats the case then EVERYBODY besides Richlands sucks, huh? So that means if a team wins every game in a season, besides Richlands, then they still suck? You guys are all over the place.

excuse me....we are a few kids short of being single A and you really wanna start pointing fingers...look,my moms family is from damascus and i grew up in marion and around damascus ..i know how hard it is for small schools in this area...if you check we have dropped alot in enrollment...chilhowie usual has a great program and gw as well..if you wanna get down to it..ph is almost as big as us..i think ppl are upset cause they have this thought that marion is this big huge town...wrong,we use to be bigger yes till jobs and factories left..reasons for dropping down arent the thoughts of winning football games..its the fact we arent as big..so cav dont worry about marion..we arent the ones runnin our mouth about every lil thing that goes wrong..ask hurricane and canes..if we are wrong,we will admit it..i am really shocked to see this post and to put us with abingdon ..u sure u the same cavdaddy i use to laugh with?did they sneak sum bird piss in your coke?lol

Edited by vols4life

I am not defending the birds but will like to comment on your school and their current action of trying to enter the Hogo District. We, myself included, get on Abingdon for playing smaller schools; however, I support a small school. I spoke to a well respected Hogoheegee coach last week and he said that Marion is wanting to come to the Hogo. He said that you are sighting travel reasons but lets be real, its because of competition. You guys want to win some games against smaller schools. Well, for that, I place you, Marion in the same category as Abingdon. Shame on You!

We all know it makes sense for us to join the Hogo(travel wise). I`m glad we are not though because I get tired of hearing some in the hogo complaining about it.

Trust me, I`m glad we don`t play you every year.

Edited by HurricaneWarning

big O you try to be a mature person but on other post in other threads you post things that make you look as if you are 12..abingdon isnt a football town..maybe sum golf..lol

he might be 12 or have an IQ of that

This is my last post on this thread because you all obviously and intentionally missed my point. I have never ever demanded respect. All I have ever intended was to say don't disrespect kids that are doing their level best to improve a programs image..that they themselves did nothing to damage in the first place. This place is littered with sheep...just like the guy I quoted above. He reads a response from some poster that says I demanded respect and he falls in line like a sheep following a shepherd. Of course I'm not proud we lost.. I hate it. My point was, and continues to be, that people on this forum berate AHS regularly and say we are terrible. The BHC picked us to lose like 30-6 or something. Everyone berated our scrimmage play. Come on guys, you remember that, don't you? We are headed in a good direction and our talent level is on the rise. So, apparently, the measuring stick is to beat Richlands. If thats the case then EVERYBODY besides Richlands sucks, huh? So that means if a team wins every game in a season, besides Richlands, then they still suck? You guys are all over the place.

Sheep..........oh man, that really hurt my feelings.................lol