Where does Graham's win rank in upsets in this series

Guest lookoutmountain

Guest lookoutmountain

It seems like Bluefield was a big favorite in this game. Where does the game rank in all-time upsets in this series, either an upset in favor of Graham or Bluefield? I can think of many times where people knew it would be close and the game finished in what was either close or a blowout, but I can't think of to many times in recent years in which one team seemed to be so heavily favored at least by discussion of the fans and around the towns to pull this off. Apparently, the youthful talent of Graham is already showing. The future is bright for Graham with what they have coming up in the ranks, and great credit to a Coach who went for the fake on the two point conversion to go up 9. It seems like Graham has themselves not only a tough and hard nosed Coach, but also a Coach who has some wits and football brains about him. This Coach apparently doesn't simply play to "not lose," but he plays to win! Congrats to the G-MEN on a great victory in a series that continues to give the two towns in the Bluefields a gift that few places in the country receive year after year.

One of the most recent exciting ones was in 08 or 09? But Graham scored late and Bluefield got the ball back with very little time, they drove the ball down the field to the 1 yd. line, with about 7 sec. left they tried a QB sneak and fumbled the ball ( or got into the endzone if you ask a beaver) lol but the excting thing to me was it was 2 friends against each other on the goal line, Will Cole and Aj Jeffers who came up with the ball. Very Exciting game and Bluefield was heavily favored coming off a State Championship

I don't think this is an upset. I bet these two teams could play each other 10 times, and it would look like anybody's game every time.

Totally agree... Bluefield has a couple of players with tremendous speed... Graham just looked to be agressive and physical... There were pancakes all over that field tonight..

One of the most recent exciting ones was in 08 or 09? But Graham scored late and Bluefield got the ball back with very little time, they drove the ball down the field to the 1 yd. line, with about 7 sec. left they tried a QB sneak and fumbled the ball ( or got into the endzone if you ask a beaver) lol but the excting thing to me was it was 2 friends against each other on the goal line, Will Cole and Aj Jeffers who came up with the ball. Very Exciting game and Bluefield was heavily favored coming off a State Championship

When Bluefield drove to the one yard line again (The QB was very nearly in for the TD).....I was having flashbacks... I was standing in the exact same spot that I was in 2008...hoping for a miracle just like back then...and lightning struck twice...unbelievable...

Well, its Saturday morning now. I guess I could gloat about us not only not getting beat by 30, but actually winning the game. I said I'd do my talking on Saturday morning, and all I have to say is this. Those who believed in coach Williams and stayed and worked your butts off congratulations, you deserve this. This town should be thankful we have a coach and man as wonderful as Mike Williams. Thank you coach for restoring the pride in Graham football. Never has there been a day I've been prouder to be a G-Man.

Totally agree... Bluefield has a couple of players with tremendous speed... Graham just looked to be agressive and physical... There were pancakes all over that field tonight..

Mrs Williams will be very busy this week making pancakes!

Once Graham cuts down on the penalties and fumbles watch out!! These kids looked impressive!

They had everyone in our section ready to leave with all those penalties! And watching what could've been a replay of the last few minutes of the 2008 game almost gave me a stroke. Congrats G-Men on a great win tonight! Keep it going!!

Congrats to the G-Men and I'm glad to see them back from the ashes that Marrs left them in!

Does anyone know if it was a concussion that Leggett left with for Bluefield? He looked really dazed coming off the field in the third quarter and he could barely stand.

No sour grapes here. A win is a win, and Graham played VERY well. I was impressed, and I am glad that you have pushed past the Marrs era so quickly.

Unforced errors cost Bluefield the game. The muffed punt and the two fumbles on the ahotgun snaps were the difference. Bluefield could have won in spite of that. Some thoughts: Bluefield's offensive and defensive lines look small, as usual. The Graham running game just kept beating on Bluefield's front and wore them down.

Saw a little Carlock look out there with a true unbalanced line for Graham several times. The Graham QB isn't very big, but he's elusive and fast. Bluefield has better speed, which was seen each time a Bluefield DB had to run down a Graham runner who broke through the front 7 (or 8). Saw a lot of poor tackling by Bluefield defenders, trying to make the BOOM hit up high instead of going low and wrapping up.

Picked up a Bluefield yearly game roster. And...no heights or weights? WTF is up with that?

No sour grapes here. A win is a win, and Graham played VERY well. I was impressed, and I am glad that you have pushed past the Marrs era so quickly.

Unforced errors cost Bluefield the game. The muffed punt and the two fumbles on the ahotgun snaps were the difference. Bluefield could have won in spite of that. Some thoughts: Bluefield's offensive and defensive lines look small, as usual. The Graham running game just kept beating on Bluefield's front and wore them down.

Saw a little Carlock look out there with a true unbalanced line for Graham several times. The Graham QB isn't very big, but he's elusive and fast. Bluefield has better speed, which was seen each time a Bluefield DB had to run down a Graham runner who broke through the front 7 (or 8). Saw a lot of poor tackling by Bluefield defenders, trying to make the BOOM hit up high instead of going low and wrapping up.

Picked up a Bluefield yearly game roster. And...no heights or weights? WTF is up with that?

One thing that I noticed when Beaver was on D, was that 52 was trying for the strip instead of wrapping up. It is a risk/reward thing. If you get the strip, you have the chance at a fumble recovery; but miss and the back gets extra yardage.

Ya good luck to him it was protested by someone at Graham yesterday its a shame.

Believe what you want, who really cares. It wouldn't have mattered anyway. And BTW, what proof do you have it was someone at Graham? Was he legal? I think if he was Freddy would have put him on the field. I find it hard to believe that Blue field didn't know about this before yesterday.

It seems like Bluefield was a big favorite in this game. Where does the game rank in all-time upsets in this series, either an upset in favor of Graham or Bluefield? I can think of many times where people knew it would be close and the game finished in what was either close or a blowout, but I can't think of to many times in recent years in which one team seemed to be so heavily favored at least by discussion of the fans and around the towns to pull this off. Apparently, the youthful talent of Graham is already showing. The future is bright for Graham with what they have coming up in the ranks, and great credit to a Coach who went for the fake on the two point conversion to go up 9. It seems like Graham has themselves not only a tough and hard nosed Coach, but also a Coach who has some wits and football brains about him. This Coach apparently doesn't simply play to "not lose," but he plays to win! Congrats to the G-MEN on a great victory in a series that continues to give the two towns in the Bluefields a gift that few places in the country receive year after year.

It's huge. Not because Bluefield was so much better than Graham (I said earlier this week that this board was badly overrating Bluefield and underrating Graham), but because Graham has come this far in 1 season and 2 offseasons, from the worst season in program history to now. The job Coach Williams has done in getting Graham to this point is simply extraordinary. Plus, he's not even working with a full cupboard yet.

Also do not forget graham was inside the beaver 20 at least 3 times moving the ball to lose it to a fumble also. It could have been a bigger win for graham without the fumbles and a multitude of offside penalties. If they cut down on those which i feel williams will work them on the future for graham is very very good.

Went to this game for the first time, was kinda played the way I expected, Bluefield's quick strike offense vs Graham's ground & pound game. Two very good teams, both with alot of penaties and mistakes that but both teams in bad spots, Bluefields mistake proved more catostrophic though, no doubt on that. Not sure why Simon went away from running Legget, Graham consitently had problems stopping him the few times he touched the ball. Bluefield's offensive identity was essentially running the QB, it was ALOT like the single wing, IMO they need to find some balance and look at possibly moving Edwards to running back/receiver, wasn't impressed at all the few times he tried to throw. I kinda had a feeling Grahams running game would wear on Bluefield in the second half, and it did in a big way. Graham's easily one of the top 5 teams Bluefield will see this year, and a team that'll probably make some noose late in the year. Bluefield is a playoff caliber team for certain, you just can't make the kinda mistakes they did last night and expect to beat a good team. Great game to watch overall.

Believe what you want, who really cares. It wouldn't have mattered anyway. And BTW, what proof do you have it was someone at Graham? Was he legal? I think if he was Freddy would have put him on the field. I find it hard to believe that Blue field didn't know about this before yesterday.

According to what I've heard, it was someone within the Graham High School system who called early in the day on Friday. Sounds a little sketchy since it was done the day of, almost as if they planned it so BHS wouldn't have as much time to plan around it.

According to what I've heard, it was someone within the Graham High School system who called early in the day on Friday. Sounds a little sketchy since it was done the day of, almost as if they planned it so BHS wouldn't have as much time to plan around it.

i agree with cpf that even if it was someone from graham you would think that even on short notice that the coaching staff would know the rules and if he was eligible they would have played him. But until i hear from the school itself that they did call it is all rumors and conjectur from some on the blfd side to give reason other than the fact they were outplayed by ghs for the loss. for all we know it could have been someone from the wva side that has a grudge against freddie.

I don't know anything about the eligibility issue, but I'll say this. The Bluefield posters have never said that it would have made a difference in the outcome and they have been very classy in their posts. A great game is behind us, and a great season for both teams ahead. Let's try to stay on the high road.