Graham Schedule

Pru

While at the Graham/Beaver game, I was talking with a friend about our schedule and just looking through the teams we play. Not to say they're not a tough team or a good team to play, but we agreed that it would be awesome to see us drop Marion and maybe down the road pick up a team like Giles, George Wythe, or even Salem again. I know it's always good to play up in the rankings (A, AA, AAA) but given now that we are in A I'd like to see us maybe challenge some of the other tough Single A programs in the area. Of course throwing Gate City in that mix would be awesome too. But just thought those would be some interesting match-ups in the future if it were ever able to be set up.

Two current teams' contracts will not be renewed for next season...two new teams will be added to the schedule, both of which Graham has played during the regular season in the past...one from not so long ago and one from 25 years back...

While at the Graham/Beaver game, I was talking with a friend about our schedule and just looking through the teams we play. Not to say they're not a tough team or a good team to play, but we agreed that it would be awesome to see us drop Marion and maybe down the road pick up a team like Giles, George Wythe, or even Salem again. I know it's always good to play up in the rankings (A, AA, AAA) but given now that we are in A I'd like to see us maybe challenge some of the other tough Single A programs in the area. Of course throwing Gate City in that mix would be awesome too. But just thought those would be some interesting match-ups in the future if it were ever able to be set up.

Marion will be one of the tougher teams on their schedule this year, you all will see soon enough... They have a 2nd year coach who is moving them forward, as well...

The MED, with the exception, of Narrows and Bland, with the addition of Graham has become one of the top Single A districts in the state, believe it or not....Games against Fort, Galax and Grayson will all be battles this year. Princeton, Richlands and Marion will all be good opponents. I know it was a good win against Bluefield (and I called it)...but they have an extremely tough schedule ahead with maybe only 2 "sure" wins.... They're going to have to work hard, if they expect to have a winning season...which is what I hope they get.

Edited by futbolking

Marion will be one of the tougher teams on their schedule this year, you all will see soon enough... They have a 2nd year coach who is moving them forward, as well...

The MED, with the exception, of Narrows and Bland, with the addition of Graham has become one of the top Single A districts in the state, believe it or not....Games against Fort, Galax and Grayson will all be battles this year. Princeton, Richlands and Marion will all be good opponents. I know it was a good win against Bluefield (and I called it)...but they have an extremely tough schedule ahead with maybe only 2 "sure" wins.... They're going to have to work hard, if they expect to have a winning season...which is what I hope they get.

Sure win for them next week!

I'm guessing that Graham plans to drop Marion and Princeton....and pick up possibly Gate City and Giles.... There's no way they drop Bluefield, Tazewell or Richlands....Gate is too big. Giles would bring a huge gate, they travel very well... Gate City usually brings quite a few fans, also.

Nothing against Grundy...I'd rather see Gate City or Giles. I think most schools just dont' like to make that road trip.

actually trip to grundy is not that bad at least it is 4 lane road. to gate city depending on how you go a lot of 2 lane road or drive towards bristol then over toward the gate. grundy is a long drive.

Gate City's a bear of a drive compared to Grundy. I like Gate City because of that old rivalry.

Easier drive to Gate City on a school bus, if you ask me...even if it takes longer... Anyway, I guess that's debatable for everybody. Most everybody in the SWD was glad to drop Grundy because of the trip.

Easier drive to Gate City on a school bus, if you ask me...even if it takes longer... Anyway, I guess that's debatable for everybody. Most everybody in the SWD was glad to drop Grundy because of the trip.

going to grundy you are on 4 lane road to the gate a lot of 2 lane road school bus ride better to grundy than the gate.

Sure doesn't feel like a 4 lane road....

but i would much rather ride that road than the 2 lane roads to the gate they are bad enough in a car and believe me i have driven them many a time and not just to a football game. that being said one could drive to bristol and then across to the gate which is a whole lot further and maybe a little bit better road but still other than the 2 lane road to grundy field the rest is still better than the other.this is just my opinion.

Giles, Gate City, and/or George Wythe would all make great additions to the Graham schedule. I assume that they are looking for D2 or D1 schools with similar enrollments. Giles and George Wythe would both be easy drives for all schools; however, those old classic games with Gate City are still etched into my mind! Well worth the drive down to Scott County.

I actually hope that George Wythe is one of additions. I would like to see a new rivalry begin with both schools having a lot of tradition. Go G-Men!

Edited by starcityfootballfan

Were dropping Princeton and Marion. Picking up Giles and Grundy.Locations have not been determined yet, but looking at this years schedule, I will say they will both be at home.

Yeah I just don't care for Grundy. I mean they have their years where they can be better than us. Heck I can remember playing them in the playoffs a couple times and one year we lost to them and then the next year we beat them in the playoffs... Given the next game was a loss to Gretna... But still not trying to knock Grundy as a team, but yeah location plays a big part in it. I honestly hated going down there. The bus ride wasn't horrible but I always hated that field. I know they have made some changes to it since then, with the field house and all but did they actually do anything to the field itself... I like the pick up of Giles, but still think a team like Salem would be great to see knowing the history we had with them. Would love to see Gate City again as well.

Were dropping Princeton and Marion. Picking up Giles and Grundy.Locations have not been determined yet, but looking at this years schedule, I will say they will both be at home.

Psyched up about picking up Giles... that will be one awesome series....and talk about a good crowd...Giles brings huge amounts of fans to away games...

I was there for all the dog fights with Salem years ago. I will never forget the game at Mitchell Stadium in 1990. Salem handed Graham their only loss in 1989 and the G-Men went on to win the D3 state title. The following year (1990), a huge crowd gathered in Bluefield on a Saturday night and Graham returned the favor by defeating Salem.

Salem WILL NOT schedule a D2 opponent in football. With that being said, I think that Giles and Grundy will be nice additions to the Graham schedule. Get ready for those red bandanas (Giles) to be waving at Mitchell!