Will Romney save coal?

EH31

I honestly do not think Romney will save coal the min. he takes office (if he does). I don't feel that it is solely Obamas fault that coal is the way it is. It has taken the whole government to cause the economic crisis we are in. I am in no way a supporter of Obama but I don't think Romney is the answer. It is gonna take a major boost in the world economy for the coal production to pick back up. Obama or Romney no matter who is in office in 2013, needs to have a radical plan to establish a boost in the economy or a lot more than coal is gonna be in trouble. As one of the ideled workers due to Buch. I can only hope and pray for things to get better before they get worse.

It's not coal that is the problem. It's the steel industry that is taking the big hit. The two mines that were closed for a period of time mine's coal to be sent to steel mills. I work in the steel industry and it's not going real well and the future doesn't look bright. What people fail to realize is there was about 3 years when Bush was president that the steel industry really struggled. It goes through it's up and down's but from what i can tell it doesn't look good at the moment. Do I think Romney can save it. NO. Do I think Obama can save it. NO. It's not one man's fault this has happened it's just the simple fact there isn't a high demand for steel these days.

It's not coal that is the problem. It's the steel industry that is taking the big hit. The two mines that were closed for a period of time mine's coal to be sent to steel mills. I work in the steel industry and it's not going real well and the future doesn't look bright. What people fail to realize is there was about 3 years when Bush was president that the steel industry really struggled. It goes through it's up and down's but from what i can tell it doesn't look good at the moment. Do I think Romney can save it. NO. Do I think Obama can save it. NO. It's not one man's fault this has happened it's just the simple fact there isn't a high demand for steel these days.

Agreed.

Until the global economy improves we will continue to see these kind of things. No President can fix that.

I believe it is fair to say that Romney will not be as hostile to the coal industry as Obama has been. Somewhat in the President's defense, as a candidate he frequently mentioned his intent to drive up operating costs for the coal industry back in 2008.

Much of the industry's challenges are market-driven, but the impact of the Obama administration's regulatory policies in addition should not be underestimated.

I'll disagree. Steel production has been steadily outsourced since the 1970's. I'll argue that the market effect of steel on coal production has largely been cleared cumulatively over the last 30 years.

However, right this very second, coal is still intrinsic to generating much of the energy in the national power grid. And while most would probably agree that the environmental impacts of burning it (such as air quality, for one) need to be mitigated, the manner in which that is done is the major issue.

Obama's agenda seems willing to promote "clean" and "green" at all costs within the shortest implementation timetable possible. The lack of any sort of cogent debate on that direction by either camp is very troubling, IMO.

The underlying problem of the coal industry stems from the fact that adherence to enviromentalist demonization of fossil fuels seems to have become our state religion.

AMEN! I know preaching when I hear it or in this case see it in print!

Until the global economy improves we will continue to see these kind of things. No President can fix that.

I totally agree with this statement. Until the world starts producing more steel there will be no need for the type of coal that Buch.1 and others produce. No matter who is President in the coming yrs. they have to better the economy or we all may be in trouble.

I believe it is fair to say that Romney will not be as hostile to the coal industry as Obama has been. Somewhat in the President's defense, as a candidate he frequently mentioned his intent to drive up operating costs for the coal industry back in 2008.

Much of the industry's challenges are market-driven, but the impact of the Obama administration's regulatory policies in addition should not be underestimated.

Nails it.

I think its just a case of production outpacing demand over the past few years. Steel/coal companies continued high production when they should have been cutting back in expectation of this downswing.

anyway, back to the topic. Romney wont save coal, but he wont kill it either

Edited by redtiger

Idk if you could say that Romney will be the savior of coal but I echo what was said earlier and that is he won't be the enemy of coal like Obama has been. The real enemy of coal is the EPA but the Obama administration has certainly been a friend to the EPA. I read somewhere recently that the Obama administration along with the EPA is trying to use the clean air act to basically accomplish enforcing a back door cap and trade policy. This administration's policies are killing coal driven plants and the coal industry. They are trying to convert everything over to clean energy (which has it's good points) but they are trying to do it far too quickly. Converting over to cleaner energy needs to be a slower calculated transition. If it is done too quickly people working in the industries that are being downsized will likely lose their jobs and be left high and dry.

Idk if you could say that Romney will be the savior of coal but I echo what was said earlier and that is he won't be the enemy of coal like Obama has been. The real enemy of coal is the EPA but the Obama administration has certainly been a friend to the EPA. I read somewhere recently that the Obama administration along with the EPA is trying to use the clean air act to basically accomplish enforcing a back door cap and trade policy. This administration's policies are killing coal driven plants and the coal industry. They are trying to convert everything over to clean energy (which has it's good points) but they are trying to do it far too quickly. Converting over to cleaner energy needs to be a slower calculated transition. If it is done too quickly people working in the industries that are being downsized will likely lose their jobs and be left high and dry.

Not to mention prices will soar because things had to be thrown together so quickly.

I think that market factors also are in play. Power companies are exploring building more gas fired power plants due to the increased availability of shale gas. We have to remember that these companies are primarily focused on dividends for their shareholders. If they can save $$$ by retrofitting to gas or building new, that is what they will do.

• 2 weeks later...