Unofficial Standings...

GMan

Despite having one loss, Graham's tough non district schedule pays off in reference to the power points. I just hope that the G-Men end up here, or near the top, at the end of the season. Still a lot of football to be played ... but nice to see.

Two years ago???? Had you shown me this, I would have told you that there must be ANOTHER Graham somewhere in the Commonwealth. I certainly would have not thought this was the Graham G-Men from Bluefield, VA. The school, the team, and the community all deserve this, and all should share in the excitement of the past finally being turned into a future with pride. There is still a long way to go, but the G-Men are now on the right path to getting there.

It is great to see that the MED is well represented in both D2 and D1 ... Graham, Fort Chiswell, Grayson County, and Galax. Even the fourth place finisher in this district has a good football team. Hopefully, all will be in the playoffs and all will be be a force to be reckoned with!

Go G-Men!

Edited by starcityfootballfan

So I know this is premature but how do SWVAs top teams stack up to the Easts? D1 and D2

Galax, Clintwood, Honaker and GW should stack up really well....

Not sure how the D-2 teams would stack up with the likes of Essex, Buckingham...Goochland... those guys are some pretty stout teams most years

#1 in the points...but not in the top 10 in the polls... Hopefully they will get noticed...may take a big win or 2 against the tough district opponents.

Hard for Graham to get noticed in the sports writers polls (AP). Obviously, the local guys (sports writers) here in the Roanoke Valley vote for the Roanoke area teams. This can be said for all the sports writers in their respective areas of the state. The guys from the Bristol paper vote for the teams in the Bristol paper circulation area, and the guys from other parts of the state do the same for their respective area schools. I doubt that the sports writers from the Bluefield Daily Telegraph have a vote to cast in the Virginia polls. Sometimes sports writers will not vote during a specific week and teams will quickly be replaced by teams where their sports writers did vote. You will notice how Richlands dropped after the loss to Pulaski County.

The AP polls are just the OPINION of a newspapers sports writers. The power points are where the playoff designated teams are placed and seeded. Hopefully, Graham will continue their winning ways and finally get noticed. The AP polls are usually the only ones to get posted in State newspapers. The power points are usually not printed until playoff time nears. The power point polls are where you want to finish at the top as the regular seasons ends.

Graham will get noticed if, and when, they make a little more noise. Hopefully, that will begin this Friday night at Princeton. I hope after the Marion win the sports writers from the Bristol and Roanoke areas will begin to cast votes for the G-Men. The Roanoke area guys will notice the G-Men if they defeat the "Timesland" designated schools (Marion being one) Grayson, Galax, and Fort Chiswell.

There is a chance that the G-Men will get noticed this week from both the Roanoke and Bristol guys after the win at Marion . Both newspapers predicted Marion to defeat Graham. As we all know, and they now know, this did not happen. The Power Point rating scale is the true indication that you have been successful in the regular season and you are rewarded by your initial seeding come playoff time. You are also awarded for defeating teams from a higher classification and all of Graham's opponents, thus far, have come from a higher classification. That is why the lone loss to Richlands did not keep the G-Men from positioning over several undefeated teams ... John Battle being one. A win over West Virginia AAA Princeton would help solidify Graham's vault and Graham fans need to hope that their defeated opponents WIN their games week after week. All of this is calculated in the Power Points Rating Scale.

The football season is still early and a schools true measure of success is all indicated and rewarded in those power points! Graham is where they need to be right now in reference to the Power Points Rating Scale. They just have to play great football in order to stay there. It is not where you start but where you finish that counts in this one and those AP polls are just opinions. An opinion is something that we ALL have whether we are sports writers or just fans wishing our team the utmost success. I am a fan just wishing the G-Men, and all other SWVA schools ... unless they are playing Graham ... the best. Go G-Men!

Edited by starcityfootballfan

so there will be 4 state champs?

16 teams from each division battle for it?

This is the same for Group A last year. The winner of the west faces the winner of the east for each division to earn state championship for the respective division.

This is the same for Group A last year. The winner of the west faces the winner of the east for each division to earn state championship for the respective division.

I thought instead of having a west championship and east championship, then having those two winners face off for state, they criss-crossed the final two from west and final two from east to start a 4 team state playoff (for each division of course).

Galax, Clintwood, Honaker and GW should stack up really well....

Not sure how the D-2 teams would stack up with the likes of Essex, Buckingham...Goochland... those guys are some pretty stout teams most years

I watched Goochland play Gretna last season. No D2 in SWVA even belonged on the same field with those two.

In D1, I think Clintwood can match up with any D1 in the state and GW Honaker and Galax are off to good starts. I would really like to see a SWVA D2 at state this year but dont know if its gonna happen

I thought instead of having a west championship and east championship, then having those two winners face off for state, they criss-crossed the final two from west and final two from east to start a 4 team state playoff (for each division of course).

You are correct.

#1 in the points...but not in the top 10 in the polls... Hopefully they will get noticed...may take a big win or 2 against the tough district opponents.

That's pretty sorry of those who do the rankings, really.

Graham's played 4 AA teams thus far, beating 3, and losing to one by 2 scores that's ranked 5th in AA.

Just keep winning, baby. Need to be sharp against Princeton on Friday.

FYI, the Bluefield Daily Telegraph does have a vote in the AP poll and will be voting this week and in the future.

It will take MORE than the BDT to get things rolling! Graham needs the votes from the Bristol and Roanoke guys as well. When, and if, that happens then the G-Men roll into the AP Top Ten. Glad to see the Bluefield guys waking up though.

Anyway, I just want Graham to make noise noise on the field ... the press will come by doing so! Go G-Men!

It will take MORE than the BDT to get things rolling! Graham needs the votes from the Bristol and Roanoke guys as well. When, and if, that happens then the G-Men roll into the AP Top Ten. Glad to see the Bluefield guys waking up though.

Anyway, I just want Graham to make noise noise on the field ... the press will come by doing so! Go G-Men!

I don't know how much Graham will get from Bristol since Battle is 5-0 for the first time ever. They're swooning over the Trojans right now.

I watched Goochland play Gretna last season. No D2 in SWVA even belonged on the same field with those two.

In D1, I think Clintwood can match up with any D1 in the state and GW Honaker and Galax are off to good starts. I would really like to see a SWVA D2 at state this year but dont know if its gonna happen

I also watched the Gretna-Goochland game last year. I was THERE in person at Salem Stadium. I did not download the playoff game from Gameday. You are correct that it would have been hard for last year's D2 schools from SWVA to compete with either one. However, that was LAST YEAR and currently Goochland is 2-1 while Gretna is 2-2.

I also watched the Gretna-Goochland game last year. I was THERE in person at Salem Stadium. I did not download the playoff game from Gameday. You are correct that it would have been hard for last year's D2 schools from SWVA to compete with either one. However, that was LAST YEAR and currently Goochland is 2-1 while Gretna is 2-2.

I too saw it live.

Good point, I knew Gretna had slipped this season and had lost some key guys that were SRs but I dont know anything about what Goochland has back. All I know is that they had good size and were athletic at every position.

IMO, Essex will be the team to beat this year. I hope that SWVA will have a representative in D2 this year. If we can get someone there anything can happen.

I too saw it live.

Good point, I knew Gretna had slipped this season and had lost some key guys that were SRs but I dont know anything about what Goochland has back. All I know is that they had good size and were athletic at every position.

One thing I have learned from the past years ... you can never count Gretna out!

definately! They had alot os speed, quickness and just plain athleticism. I dont know what kind of skill/talent their players have this season but from an athletic standpoint I dont think any D2 in SWVA can match them. Thats not saying that a SWVA team couldnt beat them(GC did) but those kids were impressive.