Honaker at Richlands

Ryan4VT

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to see Grundy as a potential opponent on the schedule again!!!! Those were some good games back in the day. My wife's family are all Grundy Alums and one played for Grundy back in the late 90's early 00's.

Btw Ryan...just for clarificaton, my comment on scheduling wasn't about future scheduling. It was about the past 2 year cycle. If you were talking about starting next year you could very well be right. To be honest it would benefit Richlands none to start playing Clintwood next year. Huge dropoff for Clintwood starts next year.

Clearly you are not through with it and had to give reference to my take on the scheduling and my "purple Koolaid" innuendo. Thanks for giving my post your faithfull attention. I'm having a glass of purple koolaid now in your honor for your devotion and clarification of why none of the powerhouse teams in an hour and a half distance of us want to add them to their schedule. But, weaker teams two hours out are willing to rise to the occasion.

Make no mistake I love the Blues, but I do get rather tired of playing teams that year in and out we blow the doors off of. I think we have become prey to a 30 something consecutive "REGULAR SEASON" winning streak to lose sight of the bigger prize of a state championship.

I prefer the quality of a winning record rather than the quanity of wins.

Still trying to wrap my head around your comment "what you know verses what I think" and maybe another glass of the fine purple koolaid will help me understand. What AD would turn down a Richlands gate during these tight economic days? All of these schools I speak of must have deeper pockets than all of the single A schools we play, because the way you tell it is these are the only teams in a hundred mile area that want to play us.

No hard feelings Ryan, but I'm not all giddy about next years schedule. The only Litmus test to this years schedule was Pulaski and we lost. Don't throw Union out there....take away the 3-4 turnovers and 150 yards in penalties and that should not have been a close game.

I'm a fan and a graduate of Richlands, I just dont get all jolly beating up on weaker teams and I do understand some of those games we have to put on our schedule, but we can do a better job of getting some quality teams to play.

Maybe you can set an example by trying a harder drink like Capri-sun and Richlands could follow by trying to get a stronger team like Science Hill on ourr schedule.

No need to get your feelings hurt its only a healthy debate.

Ryan, have a good afternoon and another glass of "PURPLE KOOLAID".

Dude,

I got a glass of BLUE koolaid for ya. Not being 3a but 2a next year means if we make a good run in playoffs we want be facing teams with a 1000 + student bodies or even 800.

As far as quality in their day and the future you can find no better competition than GC, Powell Valley(Union with APPy added) and Graham, their stern tests have helped bring us to where we are today, add Bluefield and you have one of the toughest 2As schedules in our area. Then there is your district play which can't do must about.

Patrick Co while down this and passed year have been the best the Pietmont had to offer in 3a, while we catch Basset, which is usally the best in the Piemont, with the preseason game.

East Tn has so many teams down there they don't have a scheduling problem and really don't need us thou I would love to see some cross ups.

Correct me if I wrong but being the same size as most of our competition means more points in the end if we win.

Dude,

I got a glass of BLUE koolaid for ya. Not being 3a but 2a next year means if we make a good run in playoffs we want be facing teams with a 1000 + student bodies or even 800.

As far as quality in their day and the future you can find no better competition than GC, Powell Valley(Union with APPy added) and Graham, their stern tests have helped bring us to where we are today, add Bluefield and you have one of the toughest 2As schedules in our area. Then there is your district play which can't do must about.

Patrick Co while down this and passed year have been the best the Pietmont had to offer in 3a, while we catch Basset, which is usally the best in the Piemont, with the preseason game.

East Tn has so many teams down there they don't have a scheduling problem and really don't need us thou I would love to see some cross ups.

Correct me if I wrong but being the same size as most of our competition means more points in the end if we win.

Patrick County AAA? Wow you better get off the Blue Koolaid!!!! You are wrong, beating larger teams gives you more points along with playing teams with a winning record. I pick up the hints from your post that playing Pulaski with their enrollment being above ours is not a good idea. That we should play teams with a more equall enrollment. Every team we play in regular season outside of our district games (and not all of these schools) and Pulaski have a much lower enrollment than Richlands.

With that theory should the single A schools drop Richlands? The reason single A schools want to play us is not for trying to pick up a lucky win, its for the gate we bring in $'s!!!

Oh, and its Mr. Dude.......LOL

Patrick County AAA? Wow you better get off the Blue Koolaid!!!! You are wrong, beating larger teams gives you more points along with playing teams with a winning record. I pick up the hints from your post that playing Pulaski with their enrollment being above ours is not a good idea. That we should play teams with a more equall enrollment. Every team we play in regular season outside of our district games (and not all of these schools) and Pulaski have a much lower enrollment than Richlands.

With that theory should the single A schools drop Richlands? The reason single A schools want to play us is not for trying to pick up a lucky win, its for the gate we bring in $'s!!!

Richlands will not be playing any single A teams next year. The blues will still be 2A but 2A is mostly the old single A div. 2.

Ok, I misspoke. Not 3a but divison 3 same size as us and the years before we scheduled them they had some pretty good seasons. I can see why our coaches scheduled them, though I don't like distance. No hints, Pulaski was a good test and much was learned I'm glad we played them.

And as far as your comment about single A schools, we will be the same size next year as them so instead of single A points we will get the same size points. And not sure but thinking Bluefield would have been single A points past years where future years will be same size points.

Point is if true what I have read on this board that our enrollement has dropped to the 650 area we want be playing a Brookville (1000+) or a Montacello(1200+ which should have been divison 4) or teams in the semi's and final that are able to beat most divison 4 teams in the state. We will be on a more level plane.

As far as gates when Gaty City and Powell were added it was about their level of play.

All you have to do is look at the State Championships they have won and know they will give you a test that you need most years.

But if it's so easy to find schools to schedule why don't you roll up your sleeves and jump in there, help them coaches find some, that's how you get somewhere when everybody pulls together, when one just want's to sat on the sideline and be a critic well that's what pulls things apart.

Patrick Co while down this and passed year have been the best the Pietmont had to offer in 3a, while we catch Basset, which is usally the best in the Piemont

Patrick Co. has always sucked. They got in the playoffs the one year they had a stud tailback and got ran over by Richlands. They are far from the best in the Piedmont District. Try Magna Vista.

Patrick Co. has always sucked. They got in the playoffs the one year they had a stud tailback and got ran over by Richlands. They are far from the best in the Piedmont District. Try Magna Vista.

Again I misspoke should have been divison 3. In the Piedmont you have Martinsville and Tunstall that are divison 3 and just a few years ago Magna Vista was at the bottom. Just hard to see what the future will bring.

I am 100% positive that Lord Botetourt has had a 10 game schedule in place since June that does NOT include Richlands.

I see no reason why Richlands would want to play them. They do not travel to Roanoke well much less make 3 hour drives

Richlands doesn't travel to Roanoke well? They outnumbered the home crowd both games against Cave Spring as well as the game against Hidden Valley. Not to mention taking as many as 4k fans to Lynchburg. Richlands away crowd has been down the past few weeks (likely due to having three away games, and two 2 hour+ trips in a row) but nobody in SWVA travels better. Period.

For years the weak part of Richlands schedule has been the SWD. Not the non-district slate. Gate City and Union are two of the top programs in SWVA. The rest are the best that Richalnds could get. It's easy to sit in the stands and say Richlands doesn't try to schedule so and so but it's not true. Take it from someone who knows. I could give a list of schools that I know for a fact they have tried to schedule but it would be easier to to just say that there isn't a AA school this side of Roanoke that they haven't talked to. Those schools have no reason to make a 3 hour trip when they have all the competition they need within 30 minutes of home. Botetourt is actually a surprise but I think it's great if it's true. Bluefield is also great and as long as they can match dates every year I see that series continuing indefinitely.

Richlands doesn't travel to Roanoke well? They outnumbered the home crowd both games against Cave Spring as well as the game against Hidden Valley. Not to mention taking as many as 4k fans to Lynchburg. Richlands away crowd has been down the past few weeks (likely due to having three away games, and two 2 hour+ trips in a row) but nobody in SWVA travels better. Period.

This ^

That statement about Richlands not traveling well to Roanoke just left me scratching my head. He must not have been to any of the games that Richlands has played in Roanoke is the only reason I could see as to why he would make that statement.

You can question as to weather the blues would win a game there or not, but to say they don't travel well is just not true.

I think even fans from other teams that hate Richlands would agree to that.

I took that to mean he was talking about LB not traveling well, not Richlands. Maybe I'm wrong.

I took that to mean he was talking about LB not traveling well, not Richlands. Maybe I'm wrong.

I read it again and you are right. In any case, just getting a Roanoke team to come to Richlands in the regualr season is a big deal.

I am 100% positive that Lord Botetourt has had a 10 game schedule in place since June that does NOT include Richlands.

I see no reason why Richlands would want to play them. They do not travel to Roanoke well much less make 3 hour drives

They (as in Lord Botty) do not travel to Roanoke well much less make 3 hour drives.

Wow you guys are bit jumpy. lol

Everybody knows Richlands travels well. I was just pointing out why they shouldn't want Botetourt.

They (as in Lord Botty) do not travel to Roanoke well much less make 3 hour drives.

Wow you guys are bit jumpy. lol

Everybody knows Richlands travels well. I was just pointing out why they shouldn't want Botetourt.

I apologize Sleepin nuts ! I misread you post also and shouldn't have jumped like I did. SORRY !

Giles would be a nice game for you all..I think things will be real screwed up in the next few yrs..canes00,we also gave them a good game in 94..three ots ..I think we were the worst team around but that night we played hard..lol,and they had them big ole cleets that year..