5. John Battle

6. Buckingham County

7. Strasburg

8. King William

9. Franklin

10. (tie) Honaker/Union

Other receiving votes:

Altavista, Giles, GRAHAM, JI Burton

The G-Men received 3 votes in this weeks poll!

Edited by starcityfootballfan

If the G-Men win the next game or two, they'll recieve a lot more votes. Also, it seems like Union is having the hardest time getting on anybody's list. Every week when the Bristol Herald Courier does their Super 7 picks, Union just misses out making the list (they might have finally made it last week, but were just edged out every week before).

Virginia Group AA Associated Press Poll:

1. Brookville

2. Briar Woods

3. Amherst County

4. Salem-Salem

5. James Monroe

6. Christiansburg

7. Kettle Run

8. Tuscarora

9. Smithfield

10. Woodgrove

NO Group AA school from SWVA received any votes!

This weeks sports writers version:

1. Essex

2. Riverheads

3. Sussex Central

4. Clintwood

5. John Battle

6. Buckingham County

7. Strasburg

8. King William

9. Franklin

10. (tie) Honaker/Union

Other receiving votes:

Altavista, Giles, GRAHAM, JI Burton

The G-Men received 3 votes in this weeks poll!

I would have Graham and Burton ahead of Honaker/Union

Virginia Group AA Associated Press Poll:

1. Brookville

2. Briar Woods

3. Amherst County

4. Salem-Salem

5. James Monroe

6. Christiansburg

7. Kettle Run

8. Tuscarora

9. Smithfield

10. Woodgrove

NO Group AA school from SWVA received any votes!

Hey, now, our Christiansburg friends might have something to say about that! ;)

I think this is legitimate, sadly. The gap in AA between SWVA schools and schools east of Roanoke just continues to grow and grow and grow.

Hey, now, our Christiansburg friends might have something to say about that! ;)

I think this is legitimate, sadly. The gap in AA between SWVA schools and schools east of Roanoke just continues to grow and grow and grow.

Clarification: After the TOP TEN no other SWVA school listed as "others receiving votes." Obviously, C'burg received votes to make the top ten!

Clarification: After the TOP TEN no other SWVA school listed as "others receiving votes." Obviously, C'burg received votes to make the top ten!

I didn't know if you considered Christiansburg as SWVA.

I have friends who don't consider anything east of the New River as SWVA. Heck, I have some friends who draw the line at I-77. Weird, ain't it?

I have friends who don't consider anything east of the New River as SWVA. Heck, I have some friends who draw the line at I-77. Weird, ain't it?

I've always drawn the line at Roanoke....but then it's kind of a gray area. Do you consider the Roanoke area schools part of SWVA or the start of the rest of the Commonwealth? I've never been able to make up my mind.

For me, SW Virginia begins here in Roanoke! Although, many of our friends from far SW Virginia have a hard time admitting that! Jokingly, my family calls Roanoke the Capital of SW Virginia. LOL! Any place east of here does not count ... especially in high school football.

I've always drawn the line at Roanoke....but then it's kind of a gray area. Do you consider the Roanoke area schools part of SWVA or the start of the rest of the Commonwealth? I've never been able to make up my mind.

There are two pretty reasonable schools of thought that I find persuasive on this.

First, and the one I subscribe to, is topography. SWVA is characterized most be the mountains and the culture that it brings. I've linked a map below, which shows a pretty clear elevation divide, which you'll instantly feel if you've ever went from Blacksburg to Roanoke. By this map, the easternmost boundary line would be, north-to-south, Craig County, Montgomery County, Floyd County, Carroll County. This would include Blacksburg, Hillsville, Floyd, and New Castle but exclude Salem/Roanoke, Covington, Rocky Mount, and especially Martinsville.

I've found Martinsville folk to be VERY touchy about this subject. But Martinsville, by ANY account, would be Southside. I mean, for goodness sakes, it's something like 30 miles from Danville. Martinsville, you're not SWVA. Get over it.

The map I used: http://geology.com/state-map/maps/virginia-state-map.gif

Second, the old axiom that "the state ends at Roanoke". Well, if it ends there, it should be included, right? That would follow the general principle above, except it accepts the western half of Roanoke County, including Salem and Roanoke.

Of course, this is as subjective as anything could possibly be.

SWVA and Southside VA can clearly be divided by enunciation. SWVA resident carry an "R" and it can easily be exaggerated by the pirate "ARRR" sound.

Southside residents don't use the "R" sound. It comes out as more of an "AHH". They also say "want" in place of "wouldn't". An example of this would be "It want me".

:D

SWVA and Southside VA can clearly be divided by enunciation. SWVA resident carry an "R" and it can easily be exaggerated by the pirate "ARRR" sound.

Southside residents don't use the "R" sound. It comes out as more of an "AHH". They also say "want" in place of "wouldn't". An example of this would be "It want me".

:D

A lot like people from charming old Charleston, SC (and even a few places I've been in NC near the coast).

As you enter the Roanoke Regional Airport the City has an electric billboard that proudly proclaims "Southwest Virginia Starts Here!"

Its gotta be true then! LOL!

I have lived here for more than thirty years but have not forgotten my Tazewell County roots. Can I still play here?

There are two pretty reasonable schools of thought that I find persuasive on this.

First, and the one I subscribe to, is topography. SWVA is characterized most be the mountains and the culture that it brings. I've linked a map below, which shows a pretty clear elevation divide, which you'll instantly feel if you've ever went from Blacksburg to Roanoke. By this map, the easternmost boundary line would be, north-to-south, Craig County, Montgomery County, Floyd County, Carroll County. This would include Blacksburg, Hillsville, Floyd, and New Castle but exclude Salem/Roanoke, Covington, Rocky Mount, and especially Martinsville.

I've found Martinsville folk to be VERY touchy about this subject. But Martinsville, by ANY account, would be Southside. I mean, for goodness sakes, it's something like 30 miles from Danville. Martinsville, you're not SWVA. Get over it.

The map I used: http://geology.com/state-map/maps/virginia-state-map.gif

Second, the old axiom that "the state ends at Roanoke". Well, if it ends there, it should be included, right? That would follow the general principle above, except it accepts the western half of Roanoke County, including Salem and Roanoke.

Of course, this is as subjective as anything could possibly be.

The Wikipedia article on Roanoke actually lists it as "the largest municipality in Southwest Virginia." As of 2010, the city's population was just over 97,000. This is the main reason that I have some trouble including Roanoke in SWVA; because they're so huge compared to the rest of the towns/cities in SWVA. I think Salem is a bit over 20,000 (if you include them too) and Bristol is the next largest by population at just under 18,000. I also tend to not include them because of the geography as shown in your map. But there's always a part of me that wants to let them join in for some reason...maybe it's because I have family living there or something, I don't know.

The Wikipedia article on Roanoke actually lists it as "the largest municipality in Southwest Virginia." As of 2010, the city's population was just over 97,000. This is the main reason that I have some trouble including Roanoke in SWVA; because they're so huge compared to the rest of the towns/cities in SWVA. I think Salem is a bit over 20,000 (if you include them too) and Bristol is the next largest by population at just under 18,000. I also tend to not include them because of the geography as shown in your map. But there's always a part of me that wants to let them join in for some reason...maybe it's because I have family living there or something, I don't know.

At least YOU are considering to "let us join." Thanks!