John Battle of 2013?

dshreeves

With this season still fresh on our minds, i've been wondering what team in our area could be the JSB of 2013.

I know a few posters here, very few, were onto the Trojans early on this year. So do we have any candidates for a real surprise team for 2013?

Not a huge surprise but I think Union will make a serious run in the next year or two. It's only a matter of time.

I feel good about Haysi next season but I won't go as far as to say they are gonna make a run like Battle.

Lets not forget Honaker this season. They have only lost 1 game, beat Battle and are the #1 seed. Deserving of respect.

I think most of your old guard will be back and I think Battle may be in the mix, winning begats winning, Lebanon is a young team and I think will be tough next year, I dont know how many Eastside graduates but I think they may be on their way.

I dont know how many Eastside graduates but I think they may be on their way.

I think they lose both RBs, not sure what else but I really don't think they have the players comming up to replace those two next season. They will be based around the QB they have(who is pretty darn good). Regardless, it looks like they are on their way.

Virginia High is returning almost the entire line, most of the backfield and recieving corps. Only losing a handful of seniors, so I think we could make a serious run.

Oh, and of course, there's that team up in Richlands that's dropping to D2 and is pretty much a lock to win it all, can't think of anyone who could actually pose a threat to them

Virginia High is returning almost the entire line, most of the backfield and recieving corps. Only losing a handful of seniors, so I think we could make a serious run.

Oh, and of course, there's that team up in Richlands that's dropping to D2 and is pretty much a lock to win it all, can't think of anyone who could actually pose a threat to them

I hope I detect sarcasm. Union poses a pretty solid threat since thtey almost beat the Blues the past 2 seasons, there are some other D2 teams that would take issue with that statement. Honestly tho, Richlands will be a final 4 favorite next season

I think teams like Union, Honaker, Graham, and Richlands are expected to do very well (and any could make a run for the title), but the one team I believe will have a really good season, like Battle this year, will be VHS. Made a very smart move at the qb position and that kid has some experience now...he'll only get better. They've got the tools in place with a great coach. GC and Lebanon will be tough, but still young.

Graham,only lose the backfield. If they can find a couple of defensive pieces and someone to run the ball they should be really good.

Hopefully some of the younger kids will get bigger and stronger and step up into those positions. I think Graham has a couple of quality QB's coming up....and a couple of quality RB's that were behind Hatfield this year. I'll be interested to see how it goes. I think the biggest improvement we will see will be in lineplay. They improved tremendously from the past few seasons in just one year with Coach Williams (got pushed around badly before he came)....They were fairly young and should be pretty solid with another year or lifting and conditioning with Williams.

In 2 years...come back to this post. Logan Honaker of John Battle will be the best QB in the area if they can build a line around him. He missed his freshman year last season with an injury and has rotated in at QB this entire season. Smart kid, always won on every level, big arm, accurate and has speed. If he stays healthy, he's got a shot to play at the next level.

JSB will be solid next year. They lose 3 starting lineman, Brent Tipton and Cody Rogers. BUT, they return Honaker, Harlow, Chapman, Matney, Clark at the skill positions. They will have plenty of speed/power. It's just a matter of how they'll replace those 3 lineman. Tackle/DE Trey Jones will be tough to replace. He's a SR with a 4.0 GPA taking all honors classes....benches 365lbs and can move. He's made all of the calls on the LOS since his sophmore year. They have a few kids coming up if they'll hit the weightroom hard this offseason. I dont think that'll be a problem after all of the success they've had this year. I Dont know if they can have another 9-1 type of year next season, but I wouldnt expect less than 7-3 .

No Thomas is back I think that Northwood has some athletes that could surprise alot of people. Not comparing them to Battle because this season has been so special for everyone involved and Battle is a great team but Northwood could be a team to watch.

Not a huge surprise but I think Union will make a serious run in the next year or two. It's only a matter of time.

I feel good about Haysi next season but I won't go as far as to say they are gonna make a run like Battle.

Lets not forget Honaker this season. They have only lost 1 game, beat Battle and are the #1 seed. Deserving of respect.

No disrespect meant to Honaker at all. I'm just not surprised Honaker has made it to the point they have this season. I thought they'd be pretty good.

Battle however, has surprised me, especially in the postseason.

What makes sports the most fun is seeing something that continues to surprise you and Battle has done that for me this year. Probably surprised many of us.

Agree that Battle is the biggest suprise. Honaker isint flashy and like ive said before I dont see how they beat Battle, but they did. I think most people expected them to be good but not as good as they have been.

In 2 years...come back to this post. Logan Honaker of John Battle will be the best QB in the area if they can build a line around him.

There will be most likely be at least 2 qbs in the district alone that should easily be up there as some of the better around. One at Lee High (there now) and one coming up at Gate City.