Prayers needed

As many of you may know, Battle's AD Kevin Perrigan has been battling cancer for a while. Just the other day, he had to return to the hospital as things turned worse. Here is an update from his wife's Facebook page:

"From Pam Perrigan

Kevin update: Yesterday morning Kevin woke up and could not move from his belly down. We were in tests all day. They thought they were going to be doing emergency surgery to release the pressure on his spine. However, that was not necessary. The doctors think that Kevin has had a stroke in his spinal cord. This means that the spinal cord is dead and he most likely will not regain movement from his belly down. We will see more doctors and learn more today. Kevin's first comment to his brother was "how am I going to get in the tree stand?" Despite this horribly scary news, we had a great day. Because the feeling is gone he has NO PAIN. He was able to stay alert and visit with his many friends and family. He laughed all evening. He made jokes and he reminisced about old times. When we had time for just the two of us to talk he said "it's going to be ok." It is going to be ok no matter what. All the love that is being shown to our family is simply amazing. The cards, the gifts, the phone calls, the visits, the text, the Facebook posts and most importantly, the prayers are helping us more than you guys will ever know. I will continue to keep you posted as we learn more. Keep on the Sunny Side always on the Sunny Side no matter what. We are very Sunny on this snow day. Love to all."

As many of you may know, Battle's AD Kevin Perrigan has been battling cancer for a while. Just the other day, he had to return to the hospital as things turned worse. Here is an update from his wife's Facebook page:

"From Pam Perrigan

Kevin update: Yesterday morning Kevin woke up and could not move from his belly down. We were in tests all day. They thought they were going to be doing emergency surgery to release the pressure on his spine. However, that was not necessary. The doctors think that Kevin has had a stroke in his spinal cord. This means that the spinal cord is dead and he most likely will not regain movement from his belly down. We will see more doctors and learn more today. Kevin's first comment to his brother was "how am I going to get in the tree stand?" Despite this horribly scary news, we had a great day. Because the feeling is gone he has NO PAIN. He was able to stay alert and visit with his many friends and family. He laughed all evening. He made jokes and he reminisced about old times. When we had time for just the two of us to talk he said "it's going to be ok." It is going to be ok no matter what. All the love that is being shown to our family is simply amazing. The cards, the gifts, the phone calls, the visits, the text, the Facebook posts and most importantly, the prayers are helping us more than you guys will ever know. I will continue to keep you posted as we learn more. Keep on the Sunny Side always on the Sunny Side no matter what. We are very Sunny on this snow day. Love to all."

What amazing Faith! Praying for Coach Kevin and family!

http://www.tricities.com/sports/article_d6e428ee-8550-11e2-b7e3-001a4bcf6878.html

Kevin Perrigan feeling the love as battle with cancer continues

Posted on March 4, 2013 by Allen Gregory

BRISTOL, Va. – It was the kind of panorama that Kevin Perrigan savors.

On a sunny Monday afternoon outside John Battle High School, athletes from the tennis, baseball, soccer and track and field teams were busy preparing for their spring seasons.

In his role as athletic director, Perrigan often patrols the sprawling grounds and chats with coaches from his golf cart.

But Perrigan had a much different view Monday. He was in a hospital room at the National Healthcare Corporation in Bristol where he’s continuing a grueling struggle with cancer.

On Friday night at the John Battle gym, an emotional prayer service was held for the homespun man known as “Coach P.â€

Contacted Sunday night via email, Perrigan expressed his thanks for the “tremendous†outpouring of support from friends throughout the region.

“I’m not sure why the community took up my cause but it is greatly appreciated,†Perrigan said.

Nearly one year ago, Perrigan was diagnosed with throat cancer. After making some progress, Perrigan discovered last week that the cancer had spread to his spine. He’s undergoing chemotherapy and radiation.

Despite his medical woes, Perrigan was a familiar face at John Battle football games this fall and he joined interim Battle girls basketball coach Ike Anderson this winter on the bench during games.

“I’ve coached at Battle for 11 or 12 years. Kevin has been like a brother to me and given me a lot of op-portunities,†Anderson said.

According to Anderson, the emotions were flowing during Friday’s emotional service.

“We learned that Kevin’s cancer had moved to his spine that morning,†Anderson said. “There were a lot of people praying at the service. It was tough.

“Kevin is a tough old bird, but he’s been through a lot this past year. I just wish there was something I could do for him. We’re just hoping that Kevin can be back on the bench with us next year.â€

Perrigan said he has been humbled by the compassion from students, faculty and officials from other schools.

“Many tears have been brought to my eyes because people from other schools have shaken my hand and offered words of encouragement,†said Perrigan, currently paralyzed from the waist down. “It’s just so re-markable that the students and community would put so much effort into one grouchy ole coach.â€

Battle students have organized benefits for Perrigan and his family. And storefronts throughout Washing-ton County and Bristol have been adorned with signs in support of Perrigan, with several messages carrying the timeless motto of “Keep on the Sunny Side†or simply KOTSS.

“That motto of KOTSS has proven to be the one thing that bonds all the supporters into one,†Perrigan said. “When you can see the bright side of any situation you can find ways to get through the darkness.

“God is a great and powerful force. I hope through a little suffering on my part his greatness in our com-munity can be fully realized.â€

Meghan Ricker counts herself as a charter member of the Perrigan fan club.

Relying on a fierce playing style at Battle, Ricker was named the most valuable player for the West in the 2007 Virginia High School Coaches Association All-Star basketball game in Hampton. She later scored over 1,000 points while competing for the University of Virginia’s College at Wise.

Ricker had an animated five-hour memory lane conversation with Perrigan Wednesday.

“We had an awesome time,†Ricker said. “Kevin and I talked about all the fun times and great memories we share, and watched a little of his favorite show (Duck Dynasty).â€

While she also played volleyball and softball, Ricker said nothing compared to her hoops education with Perrigan.

“Kevin is such an inspiration – with basketball and life,†Ricker said. “He taught me never to give up on my dreams and told me that I could do anything if I put my mind to it.â€

Through visits and messages, Ricker has tried her best to repay her role model during the dark hours.

“I pray every day Kevin will just wake up cancer-free and go back to being that awesome basketball coach that he is,†Ricker said.

Kara Beth Rutherford, who starred in softball at Battle the past four years, described Perrigan as a “true hero†for his support of Battle athletes.

“Kevin came to the majority of the games, and even made it to the state championship after being in treatment that very same morning,†Rutherford said. “It didn’t matter if he was feeling good or not, Kevin was always there with a smile on his face.

“I just can’t wait to see him back out there coaching and doing what he loves to do.â€

On and off the court, Perrigan said he’s been touched by many acts of support from basketball officials and fellow coaches over the past year.

“You know God has to be working his hand in this somehow when basketball officials and coaches are supporting each other,†Perrigan said.

“The staff at John Battle have made my illness pass with love and mercy by being there every step of the way. And my family has been my main foundation of this horrific event.â€

From Coach P's daughter...

Last night: "We need some prayers again tonight folks. Daddy is in severe pain. Once we went through all the unnecessary hoops to get to NHC they could not give him the medicine he needed nor allow him to do chemo Friday. So we called the ambulance and we are back in the ER. They will be admitting him back into Bristol Regional only 6 hours after being discharged. Our patience is definitely being tested tonight with the medical field/insurance/hospital policies. But we are trying to focus on getting Daddy to a comfortable rest and reevaluate our options again tomorrow. Please pray for my Mama who has been up since 4 and is so dog tired and emotionally exhausted that I don't know how she is functioning. And please PLEASE pray for some comfort and energy for Daddy. He is the strongest man I know with the highest pain tolerance and if he is hurting this bad we know its serious. It's hard for us to KOTSS tonight but we know God is in control. We love you all."

Today: "So last night was easily one of the hardest nights we've been through. But once again I find a sunny side today. We waited in the ER for about 6 hours last night while Mama and I had no sleep and Daddy was in so much pain. When we finialy got to our room the floor nurses (who are AWESOME) informed us that they gave us the BIG room because they know how many visitors we have and decided it'd be best. God knows what he is doing. Also they have decided to do a procedure to stop daddy from coughing so bad and we have got the pain under control. Now I'm sitting here watching them both sleep and praising God over and over for giving me such strong parents with an unbreakable, endless love to model my life by. I love them more than life and Kels and I are so beyond blessed. Also the article in the paper and the outpouring support and love from you all remind me how many people are fighting with daddy and sending up prayers! I love you all! COME VISIT DADDY! He loves the company and we even got a room big enough for you all! :) He is happiest when people are here joking around with him. Anyone out there that does not have Jesus in your heart please make a change. This life is way to scary without our AWESOME GOD. I am forever indebted to y'all and I love you and thank you forever for loving my amazing family the way you do. KOTSS."