BHC-The face of the VHSL is changing

trublue

Thursday, July 11, 2013 12:10 am

Nate Hubbard | Bristol Herald Courier

EXCERPT:

Leaders behind the VHSL’s new system said it’s difficult to overstate the magnitude of the move to six classes.

“This is probably one of the most significant changes that the high school league has experienced in the 100-year history of the league,†Lee said.

Longtime VHSL executive director Ken Tilley said working through the logistics of the shift continues to be a daily task.

“Obviously any time you do something this significant, the change is going to be massive,†he said. “We’re going from 92 [state] championships to 150. That alone is going to be a dynamic that we’re going to have to adjust to.â€

LINK for the rest of the article...good read...

http://www.tricities.com/sports/article_c9124a7c-e9df-11e2-9526-0019bb30f31a.html

Guest rhsfanandstudent

So, if I am understanding this correctly, there will be two State Champions for each Class. So, 2A will be East State Champ and West State Champ? Or is it the sixteen seed tournament that 1A had last year?

So, if I am understanding this correctly, there will be two State Champions for each Class. So, 2A will be East State Champ and West State Champ? Or is it the sixteen seed tournament that 1A had last year?

No. There will be one State Champion in each Class. Each Class is divide into two divisions, either east/west or north/south. 16 teams from each division make the playoffs and play down to two. Once you get down to two in each division...that is the State Semifinals and they play cross bracket...higher east hosts lower west, higher west hosts lower east. Those winners play for the State Championship...the same way Class A has done it for a couple of years now. Really easy.

No. There will be one State Champion in each Class. Each Class is divide into two divisions, either east/west or north/south. 16 teams from each division make the playoffs and play down to two. Once you get down to two in each division...that is the State Semifinals and they play cross bracket...higher east hosts lower west, higher west hosts lower east. Those winners play for the State Championship...the same way Class A has done it for a couple of years now. Really easy.

I really like the system, too. I think it did its job in A last year and it should be good for everyone. I'm pretty excited for the season to start!

I really like the system, too. I think it did its job in A last year and it should be good for everyone. I'm pretty excited for the season to start!

I think it's a good setup too and can't wait to see it in all sports. But the one sport I'm really curious about is 1A soccer. That's going to be interesting.

I think it's a good setup too and can't wait to see it in all sports. But the one sport I'm really curious about is 1A soccer. That's going to be interesting.

Girls Soccer will only award 5 titles. 1A and 2A will be combined. Same goes for Boys Tennis. Will be very interesting to see how this works out in those sports.

Girls Soccer will only award 5 titles. 1A and 2A will be combined. Same goes for Boys Tennis. Will be very interesting to see how this works out in those sports.

I see some tweaking in the near future (as soon as the two year deal runs out) but mainly just with the lower classifications in these sports. This system should work well overall.

Really it's not that much different for sports that used the division format. For sports other than football it'll pretty much be the same, just changing district tourneys to conference tourneys and replacing the 4 regions with 2 sections. Biggest change might be for sports like soccer, wrestling, tennis, and anything else that only had 3 classes (the ones that hadn't switched to using the divisions).