Is it time to beat Bama?

Ryan4VT

I do like the trailer, but yeah, we'll probably lose. Just a matter if the boys can show some heart and make a game of it.

I think they could show a lot of heart and still get beat 45-10.

I think they could show a lot of heart and still get beat 45-10.

I was down at Chattanooga, TN this week and spoke again with that former DB from the Kiffin Vols team that played in the bowl game against VT. I asked him if he had any playing time left because the Hokies were getting thin on bodies to open against Alabama. He laughed and said he didn't think so. I told him that I'd have a moral victory at 52-6, but Saban may not allow that to happen playing the respect card. With the continued loss of bodies in just a few days, Nick may not be able to stop the scoring. Bud's unit could in for the longest night since the LSU game in 2007.

I'm not trying to be Negative Nancy all the time, but I can't help but see them for what they are right now. I'd would be be amazed and ecstatic if VT was actually able to win one of these games, but they haven't and things have progressed within the program to what they are now. They've got lots of problems and little answers and even less they can do about it in the next two weeks.

Hate to say it but VT is likely to get embarrassed in this game...it could get REAL ugly. I can't believe so many fools actually think we have a chance vs. BAMA...

I agree we have no chance. But I thought the trailers and videos and such were cool, at least.

This is what VT is without as of today...

RB JC Coleman SO Starter* Twisted both ankles (somehow). Day-to-day. Expected to play vs Bama

RB Michael Holmes r-SO Backup* Dismissed from the team. Expelled from university.

RB Tony Gregory r-SR Backup Tore ACL for the fourth time. Out for the season

WR Kevin Asante r-SO Backup Left the team. no reason given from the athletic dept

CB Antone Exum r-SR Starter Another month of rehab. Scheduled to be back end of Sept. ACC play.

CB Donaldven Manning SO Backup Was losing reps to stud freshman CBs. decided to transfer

CB Davion Tookes r-FR Backup Buried in the depth chart at CB. left the program

S Greg Jones r-FR Backup Walk-on. shoulder injury. gave up football

OL Mark Shuman r-JR Backup* Injured knee. Will require surgery that will keep him out 4-6 weeks

OL Jake Goins r-SO Backup Contemplating future for medical reasons

OL Adam Traschke r-FR Backup Gave up football

DE Jarontay Jones r-FR Backup Too slow for DE, too small for DT. deep in depth chart. left program

DL Justin Taylor r-SO Backup Tweener just like Jarontay Jones. left program.

OLB Ronny Vandyke r-SO Starter Shoulder injury. Out for the season.

DT Corey Marshall JR Backup Not happy with his situation at VT, leaving program.

• 2 weeks later...

After the Rutgers game last year, writers at thekeyplay.com created the #beatbama hashtag slightly out of jest, and slightly out of irrational support for VT.  Then it took on a life of its own.  Earlier this week, they came out with this article.  Excuse the language. 

#BEATBAMA was never about beating Alabama.

It was about sacking up. It was about running head first through a loss. It was knowing you're too short, but laying out anyways. It was about getting fired up and not backing down. It was about not wanting to hear one more damn word about how much Alabama was going to win by. It was about believing in these new coaches, the players, owning this offseason, and not rolling into a ball. It was about pride and scoffing at Vegas' line. It was about making the dumb choice, hope and faith over logic, that you'd repeat over and over.

A retweet from Spencer Hall, one of my favorite writers:

Am I fool for believing in my team? Am I a fool for loving my school? Am I am fool for just betting every piece of my soul I have on the underdog?

Yes.

I would go to New Orleans one billion times and back and watch us lose the Sugar Bowl. I would go there one billion times and blow my lungs out and watch Danny Coale catch that ball. I'd go there one billion times over and have my guts ripped out my mouth. I'd go there, I'd go to Death Valley, I'd go to to FedEx, I'd go to Miami, I'm going to Columbus, I'm going to South Bend, I'm going to Ann Arbor, I'm going to Madison, and I'm going back to Atlanta.

I will go anywhere, everywhere, to watch the Orange and Maroon, decked out in orange and maroon, because that's what HokieNation does.

It was never about beating Alabama.

It was about us. The 2013 season is here. Get yourself right, and let's fucking go.

Link: http://www.thekeyplay.com/content/2013/august/26/it-was-never-about-beating-alabama

What I got from watching the game is this... #1 Virginia Tech's Defense is Outstanding, for them to have been on the field as much as they were they did a great job. Think about it this way, if VT didn't give away points (etc. INT, Punt Return) the score would have been 14-10 against the #1 team in the country.

#2 Virginia Tech's receivers are God awful, and Im not bragging on Logan Thomas at all, but there comes a time when someone has to step up and make a catch

#3 Trey Edmunds is a legit starting running back, he ran all over a great defense!

#4 Alabama isn't what they have been the past couple of years, given they have a pretty simple schedule minus 2 games I don't seem them winning the SEC or a 3Peat

Yes I know that it's the first game of the year and both teams have a lot of improving to do but this is my take on it

What I took away from the VT/Bama game was that UVA will actually be playing the real #1 team in the country next week.

Yeah, Nichols State was a real test for Oregon.  Lol!  Look for Stanford to take care of Oregon. 

I thought Va. Tech had a great game plan defensively, and executed it well.  The Bama o-line struggled against eight in the box.  The offense has some work to do, but like last year, the o-line will eventually develop a chemistry.  This was their first game together as a unit and they will get better.  Everyone forgets there were questions about the Bama o-line last year.  They actually struggled against Western Kentucky early.  In the end people were touting them as the strength of the team.  So making a judgement this early is premature.  I was happy with the defensive performance.