Cry Babies

Jason

Cry babies is right.

Districts are gonna be a thing of the past, at least the traditional districts (as we all know this has already happened in far SWVA), adapt and get over it. Make your conference opponents your new district opponents and play your old rivals for your out of conference schedule. Of course there will be some growing pains and in 2 years they can be addressed.

and saying A wanted it so it would be easier to win state titles is total bs, A just wanted to stop playing schools 2x their size in the state title game. Shame on A for wanting to play schools their same size.

To me the largest schools are going to experience some inconveniences (as compared to the old system which was custom fitted for them) but that's a lot better than the small schools dealing with some major issues.

Districts are gonna be a thing of the past, at least the traditional districts (as we all know this has already happened in far SWVA), adapt and get over it. Make your conference opponents your new district opponents and play your old rivals for your out of conference schedule. Of course there will be some growing pains...

Precisely why I think "districts" are useless and conferences could just as easily serve the same purpose.

They would and that's the way things will go. imo if youre district isint working for you then quit crying and change it.

Maybe the change will be in how 3A/4A arrange their split, maybe instead of E/W they should be N/S. Idk, but those type of issues will work them selves out.

and I don't buy the "we are fine with it, we just wanted to delay it to make it better" argument. I really believe that if the VHSL didn't make the change it would have been delayed again and again.

From some talk on here, I thought the VHSL was out to screw Southwest Virginia. Seen plenty of those posts in the past.

In the past the setup SWVA was definitely an afterthought.  The new/current setup is pretty balanced and is truly equal for everyone

Districts help out teams like Abingdon in their situations I would think.  Same may be said for Lee if they have to go to 3A next year like some think might happen if enrollment climbs like expected.  And if some of those teams think travel is bad for them, think about some out here like these two, especially if Lee were to go up.

Districts help out teams like Abingdon in their situations I would think.  Same may be said for Lee if they have to go to 3A next year like some think might happen if enrollment climbs like expected.  And if some of those teams think travel is bad for them, think about some out here like these two, especially if Lee were to go up.

Abindgon is screwed either way. All of their district foes are a long haul away. So they are at a disadvantage either way. 

Abindgon is screwed either way. All of their district foes are a long haul away. So they are at a disadvantage either way. 

Do you mean conference foes? Because Abingdon's district foes are Richlands, Tazewell, Lebanon, and Virginia High. I know VHS is really close and I don't think Lebanon is that far a drive. Don't know exactly how far Richlands and Tazewell are though.

3A for Lee would be a nightmare    it would be year after next('15) if/when they would move up right?   Could pick up Ridgeview and Abingdon(especially Abingdon) for big school competition.  May have to really look into TN/KY for big school competition

Letcher Central, Bell Co, Harlan(I wouldn't), Cherokee and Volunteer would all be 3A competition, Volunteer, Cherokee and Harlan might be 4A. All would be around a 90 minute bus ride

playoffs would be rough for sure.  May have to move the boundries around and send more kids to TW    j/k, sorta

Can't see any schools in SWVA moving up unless the economy improves. Dickenson County will be AA with the current enrollment. Will be interesting to watch Grundy- good chance they will drop within the next two cycles.

Do you mean conference foes? Because Abingdon's district foes are Richlands, Tazewell, Lebanon, and Virginia High. I know VHS is really close and I don't think Lebanon is that far a drive. Don't know exactly how far Richlands and Tazewell are though.

Yes. My bad. Was thinking conferences but apparently typed district. 

Yes. My bad. Was thinking conferences but apparently typed district. 

No problem. It's going to take some getting used to for most people I assume (I still have to check myself when I use the words district or conference).

Can't see any schools in SWVA moving up unless the economy improves. Dickenson County will be AA with the current enrollment. Will be interesting to watch Grundy- good chance they will drop within the next two cycles.

Lee's enrollment goes up and down a good bit, although overall its been in decline.  It wasn't that long ago they were at 850.  What's interesting is how county enrollment continually drops year after year with the high school more erratic.  Also interesting, I remember seeing some county population estimates from the BHC or someone over the past several years and Lee was actually one of a couple (with Washington) to see population increases.  Most think that's retirees, I'd guess also that economy actually might play a part too with many that were employed with the federal prison maybe moving into Lee from Kingsport and outer regions due to rising fuel and other expenses.  Either way, it was a discussion starting a few months or so ago back about Lee's enrollment expected to climb in the next year or so from the School Board and the concern that it could push them to 3A unless they make some changes to avoid that somehow.

3A for Lee would be a nightmare    it would be year after next('15) if/when they would move up right?   Could pick up Ridgeview and Abingdon(especially Abingdon) for big school competition.  May have to really look into TN/KY for big school competition

Letcher Central, Bell Co, Harlan(I wouldn't), Cherokee and Volunteer would all be 3A competition, Volunteer, Cherokee and Harlan might be 4A. All would be around a 90 minute bus ride

playoffs would be rough for sure.  May have to move the boundries around and send more kids to TW    j/k, sorta

Yeah, that was one of the thoughts that they could maybe redraw districts to help avoid that.  Who knows though.  As for non-conference comp., you're right there's a good deal they could play if they wanted to.  Bell Co. would be on the same level with Harlan Co. in most wouldn't, but remember Lee played HC for a few years up until this season, and IMO should still be on the schedule.  Sure, they outmatched Lee but aside from it being great competition, it also brings a big gate with it being a short drive over the mountain and HC's fans travel well anyway.  Lee played Bell a few seasons back in the early 00's also.  Still yet, that leaves the conference games to be in there and the closest being Abingdon, an hour and a half short drive away, haha.  I'd say they find a way to avoid it but its still a possibility and something to think about.

Redrawing lines is the best solution imo.  I know a lot of people think that's terrible to do that "just for sports" but it goes far beyond that, 3A would really be a burden on the school system. TW in general could also benefit from a growth in enrollment, if the school can support it. 

Talk about a T-O-U-G-H  schedule. Battle, GC, Union, Central, Ridgeview, Bell Co, Harlan Co, Cherokee, Volunteer, Letcher Central. 

The growth in LC is probably tied directly(for the most part) to the prison, inmates figure into a counties population. Obviously that isn't effecting the school system growth but that could be the source of the overall population growth