John Battle @ Lee

Chappy

I just think its too much of a strain on the body. If you don't mind me asking, what were their injuries?

Not 100% sure I think the injury that happened in the race over the wknd was a back injury, if so this could hinder him for a very long time just dont know how bad it was. Back injuries can haunt a person the rest of their lives, sad but true.....

The Contitution says that I may say whatever I want. Even if I do get deleted/blocked for here it's so easy to just make another name with another email address. So essentially it would be a waste of the admins time. Personally I do what I do for that reason, to see everyone get worked up. And I have yet to say anything on here that should lead to my deletion. I'm next to the line but I never cross it. (;

Since when is SWVASports a government site?

Freedom of speech does NOT exist in settings controlled by non-governmental actors.

And FWIW, any poster can manually place another poster on ignore. Don't know why this is generating any significant discussion...

Freedom of speech DOES exist in settings controlled by non-government actors, in the U.S. that is.  The difference is who is allowed access to that setting (i.e. a message board).  The admin can determine who they allow access to the site.  If they do not like a persons comments, they can deny access, but they cannot restrict a persons right of speech. You just may not be able to say it here.

A technicality I know but true nonetheless. 

Freedom of speech DOES exist in settings controlled by non-government actors, in the U.S. that is.  The difference is who is allowed access to that setting (i.e. a message board).  The admin can determine who they allow access to the site.  If they do not like a persons comments, they can deny access, but they cannot restrict a persons right of speech. You just may not be able to say it here.

A technicality I know but true nonetheless. 

That's not a technicality.  That's just a different, inaccurate attempt to create a difference resulting in the exact same thing I just stated.

You are confusing "freedom of speech" with "anatomical capability to open one's mouth and produce sound therefrom" and/or "anatomical capability to put fingers to keyboard and produce typewritten text".  Simply, you're confusing "freedom of speech" with "speech".  It's that whole "freedom of" thing that kind of rips your argument in twain. 

With all due respect, you sir are incorrect.  You may attempt to pettifog the argument by using "Clinton speak" (i.e: define is) when defining Freedom of Speech if you so desire. But the incontrovertible fact remains that the Freedom of Speech is an inalienable right of all U.S. citizens.  It cannot be infringed upon by either private or public entity.  To do so is a violation of one of the main tenets of our constitution.

You are confusing the right of the board administrators to limit access to a private enterprise as inhibiting free speech.  It is not.  Access or membership in private entities is not a right.  Country clubs, fraternities, sororities, message boards, Sam's Club, etc. all have the ability to limit access.  I reiterate that they do not have the right to inhibit free speech.  They do have the ability to establish membership criteria and the penalties for violating that criteria.  It is up to the individual seeking membership to decide if they want to follow those guidelines.

Enough poly sci...I deal with it everyday...back to HS sports...

With all due respect, you sir are incorrect.  You may attempt to pettifog the argument by using "Clinton speak" (i.e: define is) when defining Freedom of Speech if you so desire. But the incontrovertible fact remains that the Freedom of Speech is an inalienable right of all U.S. citizens.  It cannot be infringed upon by either private or public entity.  To do so is a violation of one of the main tenets of our constitution.

You are confusing the right of the board administrators to limit access to a private enterprise as inhibiting free speech.  It is not.  Access or membership in private entities is not a right.  Country clubs, fraternities, sororities, message boards, Sam's Club, etc. all have the ability to limit access.  I reiterate that they do not have the right to inhibit free speech.  They do have the ability to establish membership criteria and the penalties for violating that criteria.  It is up to the individual seeking membership to decide if they want to follow those guidelines.

Enough poly sci...I deal with it everyday...back to HS sports...

Holy cannoli.  Since you brought up Clinton's "is", here's a definition I hope you'll really like.

in·al·ien·a·ble - inˈÄlÄ“É™nÉ™bÉ™l/
adjective: inalienable
 unable to be taken away from or given away by the possessor.

Freedom of speech isn't inalienable in the eyes of the U.S. Constitution and its derivative case law, because time/place/manner restrictions of free speech are upheld under strict scrutiny if the government can show that the restriction will further a compelling governmental interest.  Go try to hold an anti-war rally on a military base and see exactly how free your speech is.  Sure, it may be in whatever John Locke-inspired philosophical universe the "natural rights" crowd inhabits.  But we're clearly not in some ivory tower.  We're out of the state of nature, baby.  We've submitted to Rousseau's sovereign, and that sovereign says you don't get the unfettered right to say anything and everything all the time.  It's a cute bumper sticker.  But it's wrong.  Wrong.  Wrong. 

McLaughlin_John.jpg

Wrong.

As you deal with Political Science, I deal with law.  Daily.  I've paid good money and put in long hours for the privilege.  And the Constitution, namely the First Amendment, is in the heart of my wheelhouse, mi amigo.  We're not talking philosophy.  We're talking the rule of law. 

Even if I do get deleted/blocked for here it's so easy to just make another name with another email address. So essentially it would be a waste of the admins time. 

Wrong. Admins can block your ip completely. It's happened before. I'm sure it will happen again eventually. 

I, however, do not think you deserve to be banned. Sure you make some incredibly stupid posts and some outlandish predictions. But you are simply playing the antagonist. And you play it well, I might add. 

Gladly.  I think it would be better for VHS if Lee wins then VHS beats Lee, at least as far as power points go.  Go LEE.  JSB appears to have a lot of injuries to overcome and Lee is playing well.

It should favor Va High more for a Battle victory over Lee, if VHS loses to Marion.  Lee could still knock Va High out of the playoff picture with a win over Battle and losing to VHS.

I once wrecked a four-wheeler during my sophomore year of high school....... I tore up the back of my calf and missed a few weeks.

The wreck wasn't the worst part of it though..... it was sitting in Tom Turners office waiting on him to arrive.      I don't remember the entire conversation...just that I was advised that I could ride all the 4 wheelers I wanted to....as long as it wasn't during weight lifting periods, 2 a days or football season.     Funny to look back on those things now....but 2 years to ride a 4 wheeler sucked. lol

To be fair though....these kids 1st love has always been competing on their bikes. While I was at Battle,  we always worried that this could happen but our entire staff knew that they loved it.  On top of that,  they never allowed it to take them away from football.    They're great kids and I really hate how their SR seasons have ended.

UVAO... I too expended a great deal of financial resources to hone my craft.  The Darden School of Business "ain't cheap", mon ami!!

Democracies and well intentioned persons (not mutually exclusive) have long struggled with the issue of the limits, if any, to place on the expression of ideas and beliefs (speech). The dilemma dates back at least to ancient Greece, when the Athenians, who cherished individual freedom, prosecuted Socrates for his teachings, claiming that he had corrupted young people and insulted the gods. 

A bit closer to our time, The Framers of the Constitution guaranteed freedom of speech and expression to the citizens of the United States with the First Amendment, which reads, in part, "Congress shall make no law … abridging the freedom of speech."  The discussion will surely continue and verdicts will be cast and those decisions either upheld or overturned at whimsy (yes, whimsy) of the SCOTUS. 

Let us put an end to this drudgery as such?:  You seem to favor Oliver Wendall Homes, Jr. and I Hugo Black.  Both with exceptions I am sure. 

Or, if you must respond, please do so in the political tab.  I am sure Jethro has read enough of this.

P.S.:  John Locke?  No.  More George Mason.

Wrong. Admins can block your ip completely. It's happened before. I'm sure it will happen again eventually. 

I, however, do not think you deserve to be banned. Sure you make some incredibly stupid posts and some outlandish predictions. But you are simply playing the antagonist. And you play it well, I might add. 

He just needs to learn to be a little more sly with it.  He's too forthright.  Instead of saying "Abingdon - 17, EF-1 Naders: 10", he could say "This year for Richlands is a sign of things to come.  I think their run of athletes is drying up, and it's showing on the football field.  Even weak little Abingdon will top the Boo Tornadoes this year."

Look how many people you hock off with that statement!  You get the petty dig at Abingdon.  You get a slap in the face with Boo Tornadoes.  You even go so far as to denigrate Richlands's feeder system and credit all the Tornadoes' success to simply good athletes.  With a fanbase that has many people who care way too much about such trivial things, the fish practically catch themselves.

There is hope yet.  He just needs to take Gadfly 201 at Troll U.

Oh well, I could care less if I gripe you arse or not. It's the truth. The kid is done with his football season while hurting his teammates in the process.

I have known these boys a very long time.  There are not two better boys on the planet.  Stuff happens.  Get well Justus and Wesley.

Congrats to Lee. Looks like all these injuries are killing Battle.

I agree. The injuries we already had hurt us and we had a handful get hurt in the game last night. Not sure really how bad any of them are (hopefully not bad) but we just couldn't do much all beat up like that. Congrats to Lee on the win. I didn't expect them to spread it out sideline to sideline like that and run it. It was very interesting to watch. Should be a good one between them and VHS next week. I just hope our kids that got hurt can get healthy before we travel to Union next week...it's going to be a tough game.

I think that Battle was finished when Justus Blaylock was hurt. The team has fallen apart since then. He was the unsung leader for sure.  Battle was already in huge trouble with a 21-6 Lee lead before Harlow, Matney or Burke were injured.

Could this be the end of Battle's success?

No. We do lose I think around 12 seniors this year, many of which are very good players, but we have a good foundation, a very good coaching staff to guide them, higher expectations to go by, and some younger players that look very promising. People can't expect us to become a powerhouse program in just  a few short years. It takes time and dedication and we are just beginning. I look for very good things in the future for Battle's football program. As long as we can get the kids out to give the team good depth and as long as they are all dedicated, then I'm not going to worry too much. You should still keep an eye on this program in the coming years.

I think that Battle was finished when Justus Blaylock was hurt. The team has fallen apart since then. He was the unsung leader for sure.  Battle was already in huge trouble with a 21-6 Lee lead before Harlow, Matney or Burke were injured.

Losing Justus did really hurt because IMO he's the most aggressive defensive player we have and is a very good athlete. However, we've had trouble stopping the run all season (we're up against very good run teams at the end of the season to make things worse). It all starts with the line of scrimmage. Our defensive line is a bit smaller than some of the offensive lines they've been up against (look at Honaker and GC) and some of them are young. A few on here and the MD forum, including myself, were more worried about the line than anything when the season started. We do lose some good linemen this year, but we should have some good ones coming up. Our team will be on the younger side next year compared to this year, but they will grow, starting with offseason workouts, camps, etc.

I think that Battle was finished when Justus Blaylock was hurt. The team has fallen apart since then. He was the unsung leader for sure. Battle was already in huge trouble with a 21-6 Lee lead before Harlow, Matney or Burke were injured.

Loved watching him play he was all heart, I do think he kept them fired up, just hated to see him end his senior year the way he did. One of my all time favs to watch.