Tigers vs Tide

redtiger

Thanks sixcat, I remember the play and TD very well. Clintwood was not ready for it.

Peoples is very good, imo hes different than any back we have ever seen down this way, a remarkable blend of power and speed. He really combines the abilities of both of Clintwoods backs last season. Fine player for sure.

Im tired of all this galax and steven who!!!!  crap!   first of all who had even heard of galax before 2010.  I will give peoples credit he is a good player but ive heard comparisons to the jones boys.  Ive watched the video and not even close.  Oh yea  Go Tigers!!!!

As Greenfave#5 wakes up from his slumbering nap, he stretches and yawns, thinks to himself, "Did I really post that player-hater comment...Nah, I just dreamt it."  Later he logs on to swvasports and realizes there is no "take back" button for his post."  He then scratches his head and says out loud, "Oh well.  Guess everyone see's who I am," his voice trailing off and does the chop motion with both hands to the groin area.  

Remember this is just high school kids playing and we fans should just appreciate the talents displayed, no matter what team.  Good luck to Haysi and Galax, may their fans be blessed, keep their players unharmed and the good lord provide the ref's with good eyesight...and finally may the best team win.

Im tired of all this galax and steven who!!!!  crap!   first of all who had even heard of galax before 2010.  I will give peoples credit he is a good player but ive heard comparisons to the jones boys.  Ive watched the video and not even close.  Oh yea  Go Tigers!!!!

To help provide some guidance for Greenwavefan#5 on the "who!!! crap!"  is an article on a few rusher's making news across Va, Steven Peoples is one of them

Roanoke times: http://roanoke.com/sports/highschools/2386329-12/rushing-records-falling-like-rain.html

by
ROBERT ANDERSON | 981-3123

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The 2013 high school football season has been the year of the running back.

It’s perhaps a year like no other.

Two Timesland running backs — Steven Peoples of Galax and Chris Thompson of Lord Botetourt — already have set single-season school rushing records, and a couple of other stars are about to join the party.

Peoples has rushed for 2,739 yards heading into Saturday’s Group 1A West second-round playoff game Saturday at Haysi.

The 5-foot-11, 200-pound senior needs just 72 yards to break the Timesland single-season mark of 2,810 set by Lee Suggs of William Fleming in 1997.

Peoples also has tied Timesland’s single-season record for touchdowns with 40, equalling the mark set in 2011 by Cave Spring’s Sam Wright.

Peoples is within 580 yards on the VHSL’s listed single-season rushing record of 3,319 held by former Powell Valley star Thomas Jones.

Thompson has broken Botetourt’s single-season rushing yardage record with 2,281 yards heading into Friday’s home game against Hidden Valley. The senior has 31 TDs and 226 points this year.

Parry McCluer junior Ryheem Dawson set the Fighting Blues’ single-game rushing record with 374 yards last Friday in a first-round win over West Point.

Dawson has 38 touchdowns and 230 points. Parry McCluer plays at top-seeded Essex in a Group 1A East game Friday.

William Byrd quarterback Zac Hill topped the 2,000-yard rushing plateau in the Terriers’ first-round victory over Christiansburg.

Hill has 2,098 yards, putting him 199 shy of Byrd’s single-season record of 2,297 set in 1999 by O.J. Thomason. Byrd plays at unbeaten and No. 1 seed Heritage on Friday in a 3A West game.

I think that your community should be proud of what your football program has accomplished since 2010. Coach Dixon has brought this program a long way in a short time. Also it helps alot when you have a lot of althletes, which Galax has had over the last few years. Also reguardless of what Stephen does from this point in his career you should be very proud of his accomplishments. I hope him the best in the future. Good luck to both teams Saturday.    

I think that your community should be proud of what your football program has accomplished since 2010. Coach Dixon has brought this program a long way in a short time. Also it helps alot when you have a lot of althletes, which Galax has had over the last few years. Also reguardless of what Stephen does from this point in his career you should be very proud of his accomplishments. I hope him the best in the future. Good luck to both teams Saturday.    

In all honesty, Galax has always had this caliber of athlete and the shear number of them.  They have never had anyone bring them together.  Pickup teams at the recreation center used to dominate the starting basketball team.  Kids wouldn't play sports because of the culture of negativity that surrounded the athletics program as a whole.  That all began to change about 10 years ago with the "old guard" retiring and a newer generation of administrators moving into place.  Coach Dixon deserves a lot of credit but it began with the school board, superintendent and and athletic director well before coach Dixon got here.

Galax began a philosophy that if it could keep it's fringe students actively participating in athletics (or anything they could be proud of and take ownership in), get the community behind it, hire quality coaches, and improve facilities, these kids who were once dropping out well before finishing high school are now not only finishing, but going to college in record numbers for this school system.  

I applaud the shift in thinking and the implementation of it and will continue to support it. 

I spoke to a member of the Galax coaching staff today.  He gave me some insight as to a possible cause of Galax's slow start and/or turnaround to the season.  His assertion was that during the first 4 to 4 and a half games of the season, the offense was getting caught up watching what Steven Peoples was doing instead of carrying out their assignments.  I don't know how accurate this is but he is in a position to know.  

Whatever the reason, this is not the same team that played earlier in the year.

Im tired of all this galax and steven who!!!! crap! first of all who had even heard of galax before 2010. I will give peoples credit he is a good player but ive heard comparisons to the jones boys. Ive watched the video and not even close. Oh yea Go Tigers!!!!

Mouth, meet foot.

If Galax wins this game, Peoples will break the single season rushing record of "the Jones boys." He already has the most yards in a game. He's the real deal.

I spoke to a member of the Galax coaching staff today. He gave me some insight as to a possible cause of Galax's slow start and/or turnaround to the season. His assertion was that during the first 4 to 4 and a half games of the season, the offense was getting caught up watching what Steven Peoples was doing instead of carrying out their assignments. I don't know how accurate this is but he is in a position to know.

Whatever the reason, this is not the same team that played earlier in the year.

Why did it take four games for the coaches to correct this? If they knew that was the problem, it should have been nipped in the bud a lot earlier.

sixcat, that's the true beauty of sports, band, whatever. Kids that wouldn't finish high school will stay in school to be a part of a program. The value and impact of sports teams, and good sports teams is more far reaching than any of us truly realize.

If you all will watch the Hudl highlight video of Peoples don't focus on the ball, look at the other players. In some of the clips players are literally standing around watching him run. In some of them everyone is blocking. At some point there was a change, you will see it if you can keep your eyes off of Peoples(which is hard to do)

Just thought I would put all the highlight videos together (Bowen's is from last season, O'Quinn's is mixed)

Steven Peoples - Galax          http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1805816/highlights/77174377

Jeff Bowen - Haysi                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmQ9kfyuMIc

Tanner O'Quinn - Haysi            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3gKWVbtP9w

Why did it take four games for the coaches to correct this? If they knew that was the problem, it should have been nipped in the bud a lot earlier.

It did take four games to get it corrected but it was not for lack of trying on the coaches part.  It became an issue when Galax lost 5 multi-season starters for 4-6 weeks each in the first week of the regular season.  The result was freshmen and sophomores replacing juniors and seniors.  That began a string of games where would be blockers were becoming spectators on the field.  Galax has had every starter back since the Giles game with the exception of one, and he is out for the season.

Peoples is a very good back, runs with power.

But he's not on the level of a Jones.

I've just sit and watched Peoples get ran down In the open field and have to break tackles that either Jones boy would've never had to break.  I cant think of ever seeing anyone run down a Jones boy once they hit the 3rd level.    I personally had a perfect pursuit angle on Julius his SR year... Got to where I should've made a tackle and Julius was 10-15 yards down field.  Coach Turner told me that It would've been a great play against 99.9% of halfbacks in SWVA. lol

That's not taking anything away from Peoples....he's a very good HB.   Haysi has their hands full this week.

Just watching the film..... One of the things that impresses me about Peoples is what he does when he doesn't have the ball in his hands.

The kid gives everything he has.    I don't know how many *star* athletes are willing to get in there and block the way he does.

He blocks as hard as he runs.       

Peoples is a very good back, runs with power.

But he's not on the level of a Jones.

I've just sit and watched Peoples get ran down In the open field and have to break tackles that either Jones boy would've never had to break.  I cant think of ever seeing anyone run down a Jones boy once they hit the 3rd level.    I personally had a perfect pursuit angle on Julius his SR year... Got to where I should've made a tackle and Julius was 10-15 yards down field.  Coach Turner told me that It would've been a great play against 99.9% of halfbacks in SWVA. lol

That's not taking anything away from Peoples....he's a very good HB.   Haysi has their hands full this week.

I don't believe speed is the only factor to be a good or better back.  It's tough comparing two different styles of running.  Moreover, most back's in the end are valued for their production.  The Jones boys and Peoples have production that no one can argue with.  Case in point, I watched Emmitt Smith his entire career at Escambia High School (also h.s of Trent Richardson) and Emmitt was 5'10'' 200 (sophomore/junior) and 5'11" 205(senior year) 4.6ish speed, but he had vision and ran hard...we all know his story now.  His brother Emory was bigger by 25Lbs and ran faster than Emmitt (my wife and I are personal friends of Emory and know Emmitt) but his history was not as productive.  So, it's tough comparing two different backs on size and speed but the numbers are what most of use to size up a back historically.  I'd say Peoples is proving himself and he has his own style and has to make his own way, just like the Jones boys.

Well said sportsfan. Peoples has his own style, power and vision. Not olot of ankle breaking cuts, not a lot of ridiculous spin moves but he sees the field very well(as has been pointed out about his defensive play) and has the power of someone 40 pounds heavier. Really an incredible athlete and a very good football player.

Personally I think he is a Safety or a Fullback at the next level but I would LOVE to see VT give him a shot at RB. VT hasn't had a grinding RB since Suggs and that's what their offense needs imo.

and for your information sportsfan. im not a player hater. I want to see the best for all student athletes. yes ill stick my foot in my mouth,and retract my statement. honestly ive been involved with sports for 30yrs, and wish only the best for all athletes.