Tigers vs Tide

redtiger

First off, directions for all who plan on coming to Haysi next weekend.

The football field is at Sandlick Elementary for you GPS users the address is   186 Anderson Lane Birchleaf, Virginia 24220

The easy part, find your way to 77N and then to 81S. Continue on 81S until you pass Glade Spring, here you have a couple of choices, depending on where you want to eat at in Abingdon.

Take Exit 17 turn RIGHT at the bottom of the ramp onto Cummings Street(4 lanes w/ a middle turning lane). Food choices are Hardees, McDonalds, KFC, Arbys, Charlie's Subs(my choice) and Los Arcos(last 2 are beside Kroger).

continue on Cummings to a T intersection, turn Left onto 11/West Main Street(2 lane).

or 

Take Exit 19, turn RIGHT at bottom of the ramp(4lane). Food choices are Cracker Barrel(on the hill, not right beside the road), Wendys, Huddle House, Burger King.

continue on 11/East Main Street(quickly narrows to 2 lane w/ middle turning lane, then just a 2 lane thru downtown Abingdon). 

Walgreens will be on your left turn RIGHT on 19N toward Hansonville. Continue past Hansonville(gas station on your right) and thru the light on 19N toward Bluefield or Lebanon.  Pass by Lebanon on 19N(there is a Bonanza Steakhouse in Lebanon, just take the 1st Left at the light past the Walmart light). Continue on 19N for about 8-10 minutes and you will come to a light, this is Rosedale(there are several gas stations there), turn LEFT toward Honaker.

once in Honaker there is a gas station and I would recommend stopping there and fueling up, between Honaker and Haysi there are only 2 gas stations. Continue on 80W (its approximately 40 minutes from Honaker to the Haysi football field) over Big A Mountain, and thru the communities of Council, Davenport(gas station on your left) and Bee. From Honaker on the road is curvy and at times a little narrow.

As you come close to the football field there will come up to E&S Grocery on your left(white and blue building) at the end of their parking lot turn LEFT onto Lick Creek Road, go across the bridge and turn RIGHT at the Elem School. The football field is at the far end of the school.

have a safe trip

Now that that's over, on to the game.

Haysi's best player(RB/LB/Safety/Punter/Kicker/Return man, etc, etc) missed the 1st round game with a severely sprained ankle. Without him Haysi will have to play the perfect/flawless game to win. I think he will play, no doubt in my mind. With him Haysi has a very balanced offense(over 1.500 yards passing and over 2,000 rushing) and runs a multiple offense(lots of plays and lots of formations). Defensively Haysi is quick and aggressive. Haysi is not a big team but they do have size on the OL/DL.

Thanks for the directions RedTiger!  I plan on making the trip with or at least follow a Haysi grad, Kevin Edwards.  He lives up the street from me, our daughters go to Galax Elementary together, are on the swim team together and our wives were classmates at Galax.

I look forward to visiting the area for the game.  I hope Bowen heals properly and both teams play at full strength.  Steven Peoples severely sprained his ankle the week before the Honaker game last playoff season.  He played, and played very well, but was nowhere near 100%.

Best of luck to all remaining playoff teams.

Stop Peoples!!;)

That seems to be the challenge.  I know Peoples is a different breed than anything Haysi has seen this year and stopping him will be next to impossible. But Honaker's rushing attack was destroying people too and we stopped them. I fully expect him to get 200 yards, hopefully that will be slowing him down enough.

I wouldn't be surprised if our offensive approach isn't to try to work him hard while he is on defense. If you watch his highlight film its all him playing Safety and reading the run play and attacking the run. This may be poking the bear but I want to see how he covers. I think Colley will try to see too, and if nothing else have him chase a receiver all night and try to wear him down a little. I'm sure Haysi wont be the 1st team to try this approach. That being said in the film there were several plays where he was on offense and looked very tired but still ripped off long TD runs.

sixcat, those directions will get you here for sure. Sorry I didn't give any more landmarks between Honaker and Haysi but there really aren't any and from Bee(which isint much) to Haysi there are really none. The area you all will be coming thru is a lot like Grayson Co imo. A little more populated in places but pretty empty.

Thanks for the directions RedTiger!  I plan on making the trip with or at least follow a Haysi grad, Kevin Edwards.  He lives up the street from me, our daughters go to Galax Elementary together, are on the swim team together and our wives were classmates at Galax.

I look forward to visiting the area for the game.  I hope Bowen heals properly and both teams play at full strength.  Steven Peoples severely sprained his ankle the week before the Honaker game last playoff season.  He played, and played very well, but was nowhere near 100%.

Best of luck to all remaining playoff teams.

Sixcat,  I understand Galax will be doing without the services of their linebacker (missed round 1 game against GW), will he be able to play against Haysi or is he out for that game too (due to the foul in Grayson Co. game)?  Isn't he also the punter and TE on offense?

He is a LB, TE and punter.  I do believe he is out another game.  The VHSL reviewed the altercation and decided the referee acted within reason for the ejection.  I believe it was the right call as well.  The kid just lost control of his emotions.  We have all done that, especially at 17 years of age.  I don't think it will be a huge issue on offense or defense.  The issue will be punting, assuming Galax punts.  They have punted only once in the past two games.  They have talent in those areas on defense and offense but lack anything that resembles another punter.

First off, directions for all who plan on coming to Haysi next weekend.

The football field is at Sandlick Elementary for you GPS users the address is   186 Anderson Lane Birchleaf, Virginia 24220

The easy part, find your way to 77N and then to 81S. Continue on 81S until you pass Glade Spring, here you have a couple of choices, depending on where you want to eat at in Abingdon.

Take Exit 17 turn RIGHT at the bottom of the ramp onto Cummings Street(4 lanes w/ a middle turning lane). Food choices are Hardees, McDonalds, KFC, Arbys, Charlie's Subs(my choice) and Los Arcos(last 2 are beside Kroger).

continue on Cummings to a T intersection, turn Left onto 11/West Main Street(2 lane).

or 

Take Exit 19, turn RIGHT at bottom of the ramp(4lane). Food choices are Cracker Barrel(on the hill, not right beside the road), Wendys, Huddle House, Burger King.

continue on 11/East Main Street(quickly narrows to 2 lane w/ middle turning lane, then just a 2 lane thru downtown Abingdon). 

Walgreens will be on your left turn RIGHT on 19N toward Hansonville. Continue past Hansonville(gas station on your right) and thru the light on 19N toward Bluefield or Lebanon.  Pass by Lebanon on 19N(there is a Bonanza Steakhouse in Lebanon, just take the 1st Left at the light past the Walmart light). Continue on 19N for about 8-10 minutes and you will come to a light, this is Rosedale(there are several gas stations there), turn LEFT toward Honaker.

once in Honaker there is a gas station and I would recommend stopping there and fueling up, between Honaker and Haysi there are only 2 gas stations. Continue on 80W (its approximately 40 minutes from Honaker to the Haysi football field) over Big A Mountain, and thru the communities of Council, Davenport(gas station on your left) and Bee. From Honaker on the road is curvy and at times a little narrow.

As you come close to the football field there will come up to E&S Grocery on your left(white and blue building) at the end of their parking lot turn LEFT onto Lick Creek Road, go across the bridge and turn RIGHT at the Elem School. The football field is at the far end of the school.

have a safe trip

It would be easier to take I-77 all the way to Bluefield, then 460/19 all the way to the Rt 80 turn off...4-lane all the way to that point and shorter than going all the way to Abingdon and doubling back.

I thought about that but idk if it is really faster.  If I was going to Galax I would go thru Abingdon.

But either way works.

If anyone wants to go that way its pretty simple. go up 77N to Bluefield then get on 460W, continue thru Claypool Hill to Rosedale and take a right at the light(only light with gas stations around it), then continue as directed on 80. Either way works.  Probably about 5 minutes difference in the two

that way would allow the Galax fans to see beautiful downtown Haysi lol

we appreciate the vote of no confidence!  

We are terrible, haven't played anyone, over rated, paper champions, don't stand a chance, aren't that good, haven't seen a team like this before, etc, etc, etc

sixcat, what did the direct snap formation Galax ran against GW look like?

just curious

Nothing really changed formation wise.  Peoples moved to QB, Dixon (FB) moved to TB, Spurlin (TE) moved to FB and Orton (QB) moved to WR/TE.  For those who were in attendance for the state championship game between Clintwood and Galax, it was ran several times with Jacob Fisher taking the snaps.  One of those plays Fisher took 60 something yards for a TD.

It is neat change of pace and something other teams have to prepare for.

Im tired of all this galax and steven who!!!!  crap!   first of all who had even heard of galax before 2010.  I will give peoples credit he is a good player but ive heard comparisons to the jones boys.  Ive watched the video and not even close.  Oh yea  Go Tigers!!!!

Im tired of all this galax and steven who!!!!  crap!   

Then stop reading!

first of all who had even heard of galax before 2010.  

On a state level, nobody.  You have now or you wouldn't show such animosity.

I will give peoples credit he is a good player but ive heard comparisons to the jones boys.  Ive watched the video and not even close.

The only people who have compared him to the "Jones boys", that I have heard,  came from Dickenson County.  The people from the New River Valley and Roanoke are more comparing him to Lee Suggs.  Irregardless, he is Steven Peoples.  He will make his own way, whatever way that is.

Oh yea  Go Tigers!!!!

I wish them the best of luck against Galax and whatever may lie beyond that.  I hope the Bowen kid is 100% healthy so both teams can be as close to full strength as possible this time of year.

Roll Tide!