VHS at Marion

Bearcat Bob

A win would probably guarantee VHS a spot in the playoffs if the gurus I have seen elsewhere are correct.  But that would be a tall task to ask for at this point in the Pumpkin Brigades' progression.  Do my beloved Bearcats have chance tonight?

Bob,

My opinion is no but it is High School football. It being at Marion makes it that much more difficult. Marion looks to have a complete team. It will be interesting to see how Marion plays against a very athletic team like VA. High. I think you all have all kinds of talent and just don't understand why they are not better.

No, we have no chance. We suck.....no other way to describe it, we're terrible. The effort just hasn't been there this year, I don't know what it is, but we just haven't been ready to play and the kids haven't seemed nearly as motivated as they were last year. I don't think there are any real leaders on the team and as bad as we are, we don't deserve to even say the word playoffs, let alone qualify for them.

There is still time on the clock but the fat lady is singing in this one.  Congrats to Marion, they have a solid team. 

I am ever the optimist when it comes to VHS but this year has been one VERRRRYYYY frustrating season.  After last year's playoffs and then having a large number of kids come out this year, we should be ahead of where we are.  We have athletes, maybe not football players in the truest sense of the word but athletes nonetheless.  We have the facilities.  All the ingredients are there but SOMETHING is obviously missing. 

I did not expect the Bearcats to go undefeated but I did expect them to be competitive in every game.  Never would have guessed that over half the games would be "running clock" situation in the 2nd halves.  Many on here may not remember but VHS USED to be a very decent football school.  During my years and my brothers years, we competed with everybody...did not win them all but at least we competed.    

Maybe Fred Fisher was a better coach than I thought...and I thought he was a very good coach. 

My venting is over now...thank you and good night!

Maybe the Coaching staff is to blame instead of the young men. I'm sure the young men don't enjoy losing. There is a whole lot more to Coaching than just teaching them the X"s and O"s of football.

I have a hard time putting it on the staff, especially after the tremendous job they did last season, but sure, there is enough blame to go around, so I think everyone could have been better. Perhaps they could have been motivated better, but it's hard seeing us have over 70 kids at the beginning of the year, buy into all the optimism, and see them just fall flat on their faces, game in and game out.

There is still time on the clock but the fat lady is singing in this one.  Congrats to Marion, they have a solid team. 

I am ever the optimist when it comes to VHS but this year has been one VERRRRYYYY frustrating season.  After last year's playoffs and then having a large number of kids come out this year, we should be ahead of where we are.  We have athletes, maybe not football players in the truest sense of the word but athletes nonetheless.  We have the facilities.  All the ingredients are there but SOMETHING is obviously missing. 

I did not expect the Bearcats to go undefeated but I did expect them to be competitive in every game.  Never would have guessed that over half the games would be "running clock" situation in the 2nd halves.  Many on here may not remember but VHS USED to be a very decent football school.  During my years and my brothers years, we competed with everybody...did not win them all but at least we competed.    

Maybe Fred Fisher was a better coach than I thought...and I thought he was a very good coach. 

My venting is over now...thank you and good night!

We were good just last year Bob, but this season, wow, I mean, talk about a let down. It's almost like from the V-T game forward, the defense just gave up and there was just something missing. I don't know if it was a locker room thing, a coaching thing, maybe they thought they were going to be a better team than they were and sort of quit a bit, but talent wise, this team should have been much better than 2-8.

I know we were good last year.  That is one reason why this year has been so very frustrating.  Just not the same attitude/effort/something.  I do not know!?!

First thing in the morning, I am going over to a little hollow not far from here, near Sugar Grove, and climb into a tree stand.  Maybe I can leave Smyth County with something other than this foreboding feeling!. 

I have a hard time putting it on the staff, especially after the tremendous job they did last season, but sure, there is enough blame to go around, so I think everyone could have been better. Perhaps they could have been motivated better, but it's hard seeing us have over 70 kids at the beginning of the year, buy into all the optimism, and see them just fall flat on their faces, game in and game out.

I said all offseason and during the first of this season. You can thank Thad Wells for last season. It's easy for the defense to play loose and fast when the offense is putting up scores. I still stand by the fact that losing Wells was the catalyst for this losing season.

I finally understand V-Cats signature. The Bearcats have an awesome band!

It looked to me like Virginia High had a lot more talent than they are showing. I thought at first that maybe they had given up on the season, but looking back on some of the scores from earlier in the season, I'm not sure if that's the case. It's unfortunate. The team and community seemed really fired up last season, and it's a shame to see them so deflated right now.

I finally understand V-Cats signature. The Bearcats have an awesome band!

It looked to me like Virginia High had a lot more talent than they are showing. I thought at first that maybe they had given up on the season, but looking back on some of the scores from earlier in the season, I'm not sure if that's the case. It's unfortunate. The team and community seemed really fired up last season, and it's a shame to see them so deflated right now.

We certainly have talent on the squad, but like Bearcat Bob said, I just don't know if I can put a finger on it, but the entire team just seemed off this year. The effort just wasn't there, that is for sure and obvious to anyone that saw games last year and this year, but this is just a pathetic record for a team that has good talent, but obviously doesn't have the star power we had last year, when we had Brown, Kiser, and Miles. Still, with a loss this coming week to a very good Lee team, 2-8 is hard to swallow.

There's always next year though. :) Gotta keep the spirits up.