GC @ Union, Friday 1/6/15

BigWinners

GC won the JV game. This is a one game blip on the radar. GC will win at home by 10 or more. Union will probably lose their next game cause they'll still be celebrating from this win.

Ill make you a sig bet. If Gate City beats Union at GC by 10+, I will put up a  Gate City avatar as my picture. If Union wins or loses by less than 10, you put up a Union logo. Deal?

Union may well lose their next game, its at Lebanon, one of the better teams in C40 or whatever its called. Lebanon runs that four corners stall ball and Union was unable to beat them the first time they played. So they may lose, but it does not change the fact that Union beat Gate City,  and the game was never in doubt until the last minute. 

Thats twice now, Union does not match up well against Lebanon whatsoever. Union pulled within a couple possessions in the fourth quarter, but from what I understand Lebanon controlled the game throughout. 

It was at Lebanon, but I am not sure Union beats them in Big Stone. Its matchups and the style of play, Union matches up better with GC than Lebanon.

I did notice how I got no response from Guru (I could make a quip about the name being a hilarious oxymoron, but I will resist) when I pointed out that since Union came into existence, they are 2-2 in football regular season games, with both teams having a road win. Little brother usually doesn't beat big brother half the time, if that's the metaphor of choice. In basketball, GC usually has had the better program, and Union did not own a win against GC until Friday (although we have advanced out of the region in recent years, 2013-2012 I cant remember exactly, VHS upset them in the Region tourney). Union still has to go to GC, but if they go to GC and win, which will be a very tough task, it'll be hilarious. 

GC has one of if not the best athletic programs in this end of the state, they are competitive at high levels in every sport. Hat's off to them. But some of their fans are douches, and no one in Big Stone (or Appalachia I would presume) feels any sort of inferiority complex towards Gate City, Big Stone has more boys state championships and actually has a state title in basketball, as does Appalachia. I have no qualms admitting how successful Gate City has been as an athletic department over the years. But to try and look down your nose at Union or Big Stone is hilarious. The only schools around there that can compete with GC on a regular basis were PV/AHS, and Union is still competitive, 2-2 in the regular season. So you can act all superior, I'll continue to laugh at you and mock you. 

Well the facts are that over the past 15-20 years, in everything but football GC has fairly consistently beat Big Stone in a majority of things. Does that give GC fans the right to act superior? Heck no. PV and Union has more than consistently held their own in pretty much everything and given GC some tough games. I agree that sometimes GC fans can be douches, but I would also like to say that people from Big Stone can be too. That's part of the whole rivalry. Whenever GC and PV/Appy (now Union) lace it up, you know it's going to be a dog fight regardless of record. Is it always civil? Nope. But that's part of what makes it exciting.

Back to the basketball topic, last night just further illustrates how weak SWVA basketball really is this year. Gate City has 13 straight district titles and has controlled SWVA basketball for more than a decade, but this year it's not the case.  There is a ton of parity right now. Gate City struggled with John Battle last night and needed to pull away in the 4th. I couldn't tell you the last time GC lost to JSB in basketball. Unless someone turns it on and really shows us something, the teams that make it out of C-40 may be in for a rude awakening. 

Today I briefly thought about looking up the GC - Union head-to-head records of all the sports, but decided that it would take far more time that it would be worth. I was also not sure I could even find those records. 

I agree with GC_Devils, I believe that if you look at ALL sports, GC would have a huge advantage. I am not even sure it would be close.  

Union boys basketball just got their first win against GC. I don't believe the Union girls basketball team has ever beaten GC. I also do not believe that the Union volleyball, boys soccer, girls soccer, boys tennis, or girls tennis has ever beaten GC. Baseball? No idea. Other sports? No idea. I am open to being wrong about some of this. Just using my memory, and I am an old fart. (I am also not sure what the postseason football records are.)

Union IS competitive in football. No doubt about it. I'm just not sure they are competitive with GC in any other sport. Would be interesting for someone to look all of that up. 

Does that make GC fans superior? Heck no. Should Union fans feel inferior? Also heck no. Hell, it is just high school athletics. Not like it is something important like the NFL. hahahaha

Does that make the GC athletic programs superior to Union's programs? An argument could be made.............assuming the data would support an advantage for GC.

Does GC have some fans that go overboard? Without a doubt. They even embarrass me sometimes. 

A lot of our fans expect ALL of our teams to win ALL of their games. Unrealistic? Yep. A way to promote excellence in all of your programs? Also yep. 

BigWinners..............Question...............if Lebanon beat Union twice in basketball, shouldn't we all assume that Lebanon has a better team than Union? (NOT trying to start an argument. I promise.) 

Just curious, because if you say that Union has a better team and just has match up problems with Lebanon, couldn't the same be true for GC? Maybe GC has a better team than Union, we just don't match up well with Union?

GC boys basketball is very inconsistent this year. We could finish the rest of our schedule undefeated, or we could be lucky to finish .500. 

GC_Devils hit the nail on the head. SWVA AA basketball is down. None of us will advance far, if at all, come postseason. 

I dont think Union is better than Lebanon, no.

And Union may have some wins against GC in softball, I dont know, but I was just referring to the main boys sports. 

My point was that Guru called Union little brother, and I think that is an unfair assessment as Union can be competitive with GC in all the major boys sports. I dont follow the girls sports as much, although I think Sydney McKinney is likely the best player out of the two teams, GC has the better overall team.

Well the facts are that over the past 15-20 years, in everything but football GC has fairly consistently beat Big Stone in a majority of things. Does that give GC fans the right to act superior? Heck no. PV and Union has more than consistently held their own in pretty much everything and given GC some tough games. I agree that sometimes GC fans can be douches, but I would also like to say that people from Big Stone can be too. That's part of the whole rivalry. Whenever GC and PV/Appy (now Union) lace it up, you know it's going to be a dog fight regardless of record. Is it always civil? Nope. But that's part of what makes it exciting.

Back to the basketball topic, last night just further illustrates how weak SWVA basketball really is this year. Gate City has 13 straight district titles and has controlled SWVA basketball for more than a decade, but this year it's not the case.  There is a ton of parity right now. Gate City struggled with John Battle last night and needed to pull away in the 4th. I couldn't tell you the last time GC lost to JSB in basketball. Unless someone turns it on and really shows us something, the teams that make it out of C-40 may be in for a rude awakening. 

VHS clearly has the most talent but the weakest coaching. Give them Zack or Scotty V., and they dominate C40 this year. 

We did beat VHS early in the season, maybe we can do it again but itll be tough.

But agreed, no one out of our region is gonna do much outside of it.

BigWinners - I completely agree about VHS having the most talent this year. The Fudge kid at VHS, among others can really light it up. Like you, I'm not sold on Barry Reed, but the fans don't seem to have problem with him, so who are we to judge?

Bearcat Bob - Sorry. I normally don't post here since most of the conversation is not GC related. And the MD board should have turned into a conference board IMO. Once the mods decided to effectively cut out VHS and Lebanon the board slowly started to die. 

Yeah....it seems like the Fudge kid has played about 6 years. A joke BB. Just a joke. 

It seems like VHS just does not play with much discipline. The talent seems to be there. That discipline should come from the head coach. Not sure what I think about Reed as the coach, but he sure is entertaining to watch. 

There are very few quality basketball team's in 2A in the Valley and Central VA.  Maybe NOVA or Tidewater has a team or two with state aspirations?  I did see a one loss George Mason play the other night...completely unimpressed. 

With that being said, I think one of the SWVA teams will make a deep run in the post season. 

BigWinners - I completely agree about VHS having the most talent this year. The Fudge kid at VHS, among others can really light it up. Like you, I'm not sold on Barry Reed, but the fans don't seem to have problem with him, so who are we to judge?

Bearcat Bob - Sorry. I normally don't post here since most of the conversation is not GC related. And the MD board should have turned into a conference board IMO. Once the mods decided to effectively cut out VHS and Lebanon the board slowly started to die. 

Hey Im not complaining, theres no way Union should be close with them, but as long as he stays, his teams will be that much more talented yet not be able to blow out inferior teams lol

There are very few quality basketball team's in 2A in the Valley and Central VA.  Maybe NOVA or Tidewater has a team or two with state aspirations?  I did see a one loss George Mason play the other night...completely unimpressed. 

With that being said, I think one of the SWVA teams will make a deep run in the post season. 

Which team BcB? VHS has the best shot, they have so much talent and probably the best player in Fudge. GC plays tough D and has a shooter, Union has athletes, a tough inside, and decent guard play. We cant shoot well all the times but at times the shots fall. 

I would love to see VHS/GC get on the same side of the region tournament or whatever its called now, so Union just advancing to the Final would send them up state. 

Which team BcB? VHS has the best shot, they have so much talent and probably the best player in Fudge. GC plays tough D and has a shooter, Union has athletes, a tough inside, and decent guard play. We cant shoot well all the times but at times the shots fall. 

I would love to see VHS/GC get on the same side of the region tournament or whatever its called now, so Union just advancing to the Final would send them up state. 

I'm biased, but y'all are overlooking Lebanon-they haven't played a game with a healthy starting 5 yet this year.  3 different starters have missed significant time-if they get healthy they will be a tough out for anyone.  

In response to Bigwinner:

Gate City is almost always tough come tourney time so a run from them would not be surprising.  Lebanon (when healthy) certainly passes the "eye test".  But if I had to pick a team, I would go with VHS.  Just because they are so talented.  I wish Ballard Lee was around to mold this bunch.  That being said, Union could easily make the trip to the State tourney. 

What is nice is that there are at least 4 quality teams in SWVA.  I have seen a bunch of the 2A "powers" in the Shenandoah (Luray, Page, East Rock, Wilson); Bull Run (Strasburg, George Mason, Madison County); Dogwood (Dan River, Appo).  None of these teams would win the SWD.  The best team up this way, besides Spotswood (3A), is 1A Altavista.  They are solid. 

Agreed on VHS, but Lebanon can play a varied attack of styles and has a great coach. Union could have won at Lebanon if they had not shot like 40% from the free throw line.

VHS has the most talent by far, but their coaching is behind Leb, GC, and Union IMO.

So Bob, you really believe that one or two of our teams can win some games in that area?

Union, Lebanon, VHS or Gate City would roll through Conferences 35 and 36.  George Mason has a very good coach and gets a lot out of a little.  Clarke County has a good coach but no basketball players.  Page and Luray are way too soft.  Madison Co and Strasburg have some athletes but are really young and a year or two away.  Of course, all this is from a person who is (1) SWVA biased and (2) has only seen the C-35/36 teams a time or two this season.  

I have been wrong before but I really think the SWVA will have a banner post season.  Some of their toughest games will be just getting out of conference/regional play. 

I hope you are right, because as you said there are four C40 teams that are capable of beating each other and are all very good teams.

Lebanon has Union's number it seems, although from people who've watched both games, Union is capable of beating Lebanon, but Lebanon has a great coach and a good team.

Virginia High is loaded with talent, but they seem to be lacking in the coaching department. Union holds one win over VHS, but it did not count in conference play (one of the Lebanon games and one of the Central games were in tournaments too so not conference games).

Gate City is very good and can beat any of the conference teams on any night. They have a proven coach and some good talent.

Union is extremely athletic, has a beast inside, and is great in transition defense. The back court doesn't have one reliable knock down shooter, but Spears and Hall are capable of hitting a three pointer in some situations but aren't the automatic type. Mitchell is an offensive force and a defensive stopper, Barnett is as good as anyone inside, he is sneaky athletic and strong as an ox. Jay Gavin is long, athletic, and can leap. He is not as assertive as I would like at times, but he can work inside and get his own shot and is gifted athletically. Noaks is a little fireball man, he is tough as nails and fights for every inch. He is a good shooter, not a great one, but he can handle the ball, slash and get into the lane and draw fouls (if they would get called) and plays in your face defense. I believe Coach Moore is a good coach but at times I scratch my head at some of his decisions. 

Lee and Central are not push overs either, TJ McBobbyKnightAmis always has his team playing hard and pressuring the ball. Mills can shoot while Salyers can be an irritant on defense and get into the lane. They lack a real inside scoring threat tho, and Mills can be taken out of games at times if you keep someone in his face.

I know nothing about Lee other than GC barely beat them by five so they must have a decent team. 

But all four of those teams are very good teams, and I know GC/Union are both young and return a ton of talent next year. 

Bob, appreciate your opinion on the relative strength of the 2A teams in the state, of which I haven't seen as many as you have. But with that being said, after watching the regionals last year at Floyd Co., the teams in SWVA are going to have to step it up to compete with Dan River or Martinsville, who both return a lot of key parts from their teams from last year. Martinsville(record is 16-4 at this time) especially returns 4 starters from last years team and is a team with only 1 senior playing any significant minutes. Both of these teams are going to be tough outs at the regional level.