GC @ Union, Friday 1/6/15

BigWinners

Gate City travels to Union Friday. The Bears look to extend their four game winning streak while Gate City looks to take control of the district. GC has the advantage points-wise as they get to play Virginia High twice and potentially receive the added points a victory against VHS brings.

Can Union grind out a win? Will Gate City go on the road and score a huge road win?

Jay Gavin from Union is on an absolute roll right now, he is a tough match up for any team.

You are right, Union has never beat Gate City.

But this is not the same Union team, and Gate City is not quite as good as they have been.

Union already beat Virginia High once, but it does not count in the district points.

Guess Union is tough enough after all?

Union led by double digits most the game, and were clearly the better team. GC tied it up once, but it was never really in doubt.

Union was better at every position, GC only hung around because 14 can shoot and got hot for a time. But other than that, Union controlled the entire game. 

Go Bears!

Did GC ever even lead in the game? If you were there, you clearly saw who the better team was and not to mention the officiating was horrible on both sides. Both teams had to deal with crap officiating, but the double technical after Noaks was shoved down to the ground was silly.

You are so full of shit, how many times did Barnett and Noaks get MAULED? You are obviously a Gate City homer who cannot admit Union is the better team. GATE CITY made the game rough, not Union, Union prefers a more wide open attack and going up and down the floor. They dont want games like that. Gate City was the one hand checking all night and starting the physical play.

Until you get your head out of your ass and realize just how wrong you are, dont respond to me, you are not worth my time.

Gate City made it rough to try and intimidate Union, they could not do it, and lost for it, so much for a team that isnt tough enough to beat big bad GREAT CITY huh?

The refs were bad, but to act like the officials were on Union;s side is absolutely laughable, only a dolt would think that. Get a clue son.

You got your first win against GC. Congrats. 

Union won the game, so obviously they were the better team that night. 

To say the game was never in doubt is just plain silly. EVERY game that is tied with a minute to go is in doubt. 

Union started the game with a 7-0 run. They ended up winning by 7. Kind of sounds like the teams played pretty evenly for the majority of the game. 

How many times did Unin players push inside to get rebounds or push off to even get the ball on inbounds play. I'm still trying to figure out how GC was called for a technical foul. Do you honestly think Union could destroy TN High like GC did? GC is a big-time program that plays in the Arby's and against big schools in TN. You don't see the Blue Devils playing in these low level SWVA tournaments or making trips to Nickelsville.

I will say the game was in jeopardy for Union late but shouldn't have been.  It was in jeopardy due to the fact the Bears missed so many layups which is part of the game but I sure wouldn't go so far to say that Gate City is a good team.  What I would draw from Gate City beating Tenn High is that the Vikings must be bad this year because all, and I mean all the Gate City has is number 14 and that's it.  The rest of the Devil's team are hackers, yes hackers.  I have watched GC basketball a long time and they set the pace of the game and they set the physical play.  How you respond determines the outcome.  When they press, don't run with them and take your time or you will get caught up in the chaos.  Union did play physical and they should play that way, it only matches what GC brings every night.  I have no problem with the style, heck I even like it but don't cry about how poor pitiful GC got picked on.  They only received what they dish out every night.  Looking forward to the rematch and if the Bears play as they are capable the game shouldn't be close.

I have watched a majority of Gate City's games this year. That was one of the worst games that they have played the entire year. As stated, GC has one senior contributor in Herron with a couple of juniors and underclassmen getting the majority of playing time. Gate City is very inconsistent this season so on some days they can beat anyone in SWVA, and on some days they can get beat by anyone in SWVA. As for Friday's game, it really should not have been close with the way they handled the Union pressure in the 1st half. GC turned it on midway through the 3rd and brought the double digit deficit back to tied before the Union kid hit a tough layup with a minute left. GC looked like an entirely different team last night in their win over TN High, who GC had previously lost to twice. 

As for the officials at Union, I didn't think they were biased, but just horrific throughout (as usual in SWVA basketball). They nearly lost control late in the 3rd or early in the 4th as a Union player and GC player got a little chippy leading to double techs. That's what normally happens though when the officials are inconsistent throughout the night. As chubz said, GC does play a more physical style that almost all of the teams in NOVA play and I'm glad that Union and other schools are starting to adapt down here. GC basketball was forced to adapt after making trips to Richmond in the 2000s and losing to much more physical teams.

The future is bright for Gate City with as they're loaded with underclassmen and a couple of good 8th graders. As for this year, there's going to be some growing pains, but they never fail to make it entertaining. 

Its not like Union is full of upperclassmen, they start all of one senior. None of the four best players are seniors, and Mitchell is just a freshman.

Union should be loaded next year, losing only one starter and theres a kid on the JV team that is going to be a great player.

The officials were terrible, but I do not believe they were pro-Union at all. They were just incompetent. And to the poster who cant understand how GC got a technical? Are you mentally ill? The GC kid shoved Noaks to the ground! I cant believe Union was called for a technical to make it a double tech.

Gate City might not have played their best, but neither did Union and its a slight to Union to act as if they had nothing to do with Gate City being so ineffective.Gate City has two players that can play, 11 and 14, and the rest aren't great. Union did a great job containing 14 until he hit a few shots late. Union led by 7 when the game started, the lead was 12 points in the fourth quarter! Its not as if GC was close the entire game, Union missed two easy lay ups to allow GC to tie the game. 

So how embarrassing is it SWVA Sports Guru that big bad Gate City that plays in the Arby's and against Tenn. teams comes to Union and gets beat, never has a lead and was down double digits for the majority of the game? That has to BURNNN LLOOOLLLLLL. If GC can destroy TN High, then obviously Union can as well as we handled you guys. Union won by 7, but led by double digits the majority of the game. It wasn't until Union made some silly mistakes late that GC was even in the game. Just get over it, Union was damn sure tough enough to win Friday night, homie

YouMad.jpg

The audacity to act like Union got away with all these blatant shoves under the basket while GC did no wrong just shows how arrogant you are, and how WRONG you are. Union>Gate City, eat it.

(Not directed at GC_Devils, he seems like a level-headed poster, this is to the moron who wont admit that Union is better than Gate City).

Union was definitely the better team Friday night. Will they be the best team at the end of the year? Who knows? However, and it's probably not what anyone here wants to hear, the fight in C40 is probably just to see who gets to play basketball for another week. I've seen almost every team in C40 and the whole conference is WAY down. GC and VHS were the class of the conference last year and neither were within 20 points of the region championship. I personally don't think that anyone this year is as good (at least yet) as GC and VHS were last year.

BigWinners, GC rarely loses to Union in any sport, so enjoy it. They'll probably play 3 times this year and GC will win the next two.  GC played horrible and Union played over their heads and got several calls from the officials.  They started crying to the refs in the first minute of the game when the one boy tried to get a foul called away from the ball by bending over.  It worked, I will give them credit for that. I just can't see the Union homer officials showing up at GC to officiate.  Union is pretty much GC's little brother, you just need to recognize.

I would agree that GC has the edge on Union right now but the tide is turning. Union returns all starters except Hall an d has some good players comin up from JV. Gate City 's JV looks pretooty good but I wager they have a couple years on Union's JV. Union has a 8th grade JV mostly and GC looks to be a little older except for Ervin which is a fine looking 8th grader.

Little brother? LOL whatever you say. Its hilarious how mad you are that Union beat GC. Union played a good game, but they were far from their best and STILL won. You keep crying about the officials whereas NO ONE ELSE has acted as if Union got all the calls. Again, explain to me how its a double technical when a GC player shoves Noaks to the ground?

Did you forget who won in football in 2013? I believe the score was 41-19. What about 2012, when Union railed GC 55-27 AT Gate City??

Since the schools combined, they are 2-2 against each other in regular season football. So, little brother has won just as much as big brother has 

How does that taste? Does it taste good?